Can't we play Lugaru in multyplayer with hamachi

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Healey

Re: Can't we play Lugaru in multyplayer with hamachi

Post by Healey » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 am

Cant you like get a scalpel and open up the files and stuff of Lugaru itself and somehow retrieve the source? Because without the source, the game wouldn't function, so it must be in there somewhere...

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:58 pm

If the game ran from the source each time, then logically that follows. However, I've looked into that and I haven't come up with any results...

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Eagle0600 wrote:... seriously? Lugaru's source is GONE? Wow!

That sucks.
Well, David still has the source-code.
But think about it, Lugaru is still a large source of income for Wolfire. It would not be in their interest to release the source code (at least while OG is not yet released)

Also, David swore to never touch the Lugaru source code again (except for the occasional small fix like that last Universal Binary update), and it makes sense. Why waste time on an almost 10 year old game when you have such limited resources and could instead be working on something cool for Overgrowth.

That said, Overgrowth has already had reasonably working Multiplayer in early alphas and it's a pretty fair guess that they will strive to have Multiplayer to some extent in the end, though it's not yet clear what that 'extent' is.
Last edited by Johannes on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:54 am

It's possible to "decompile" an executable into any compilable language, but you'll obviously be losing all the names of variables, all the comments, all the object hierarchies, all the complicated high-level user-friendly stuff. You'll basically end up with something that looks like uncommented assembler, and that's just illegible for anything big.

Other peoples' source code is hard enough to read when you do have the comments and variable names :shock:

TonyOrcy

Post by TonyOrcy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:13 pm

ok, now david has realeased the Lugaru Open Source! NOW THAT IS POSSIBLE! ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO USE THE OPEN SOURCE TO MAKE THE MULTIPLAYER LUGARU NOT MORE A DREAM???? srry im brazilian i know only a bit of english, but i think everone understand what iam tryng to say... right? (Lugaru's Open Source here: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Lugaru-goes-open-source ...

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:04 pm

This thread is dead, and it's about multiplayer in hamachi - impossible. However, someone may make lugaru multiplayer in the future, yes.

Pigeonbee

Post by Pigeonbee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Yes, I'm well aware that this is a necro, but hasn't the source code been found again?
It'd be nice to play muliplayer on this, I can't afford Overgroth yet.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Pigeonbee wrote:Yes, I'm well aware that this is a necro, but hasn't the source code been found again?
Here's the source code you're looking for: https://osslugaru.gitlab.io/

The open licensing has also been extended to the data, too, so you don't require a copy in order to play.

Akien

Post by Akien » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:46 am

merlyn wrote:
Pigeonbee wrote:Yes, I'm well aware that this is a necro, but hasn't the source code been found again?
Here's the source code you're looking for: https://osslugaru.gitlab.io/

The open licensing has also been extended to the data, too, so you don't require a copy in order to play.
Don't put your hopes high for multiplayer though, it would be a huge effort and that's not something we want to focus on right now at OSS Lugaru. Of course the source is open, so anyone can give it a try, but don't underestimate the work implied in converting an (old) single player game to multiplayer ;)