Hard Climber

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
tannim

Hard Climber

Post by tannim » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:41 pm

I was bored, and made a random block tower. Then I figured, I bet I could climb that...

So here it is. It IS possible to make it to the top without cheating or flying. There are "checkpoints' made of trees, 5 of them before you get to the top. If you make it to one, you can fly up to that if you die from falling while above it.

THERE ARE NO ENEMIES

NOT A ZIP FILE
THIS IS NOT A ZIP FILE. RENAME TO "climber". THIS IS NOT A ZIP FILE
NOT A ZIP FILE
Attachments
climber.zip
NOT A ZIP FILE, Rename - a hard Climbing map with no enemies.
(4.14 KiB) Downloaded 663 times

Untadaike

Re: Hard Climber

Post by Untadaike » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:14 am

Downloading!

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:28 am

oh noes! :(

I can't get it to work. my old mac says it won't un-archive and I'm too not-knowing how to fix it!

Tannim, could you re-load it?

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Post by Eagle0600 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:45 am

tannim wrote:NOT A ZIP FILE
THIS IS NOT A ZIP FILE. RENAME TO "climber". THIS IS NOT A ZIP FILE
NOT A ZIP FILE
kehaar, your problem is solved.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:47 am

I can't rename .zip files extentions... :(

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Post by Eagle0600 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:49 am

You can't? Why not? Can you actually see the extension, and just can't change it? If you're using windows and the extensions are hidden, there's an option in the control panel under 'Folders' that'll turn the extensions on. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 am

Got it, had to view the extensions to change them. My bad. :oops: Thanks Eagle. :)

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:09 am

EDIT: wha-hey! it works the same way! Thanks, Eagle, I found the same "hide Extension" box to un-click, and now it runs. Please to disregard following!

hrm, Eagle, is there a similar method for PPC macs? I highlighted the name under the file graphic on the desktop and changed it to "climber", but it still won't open from the desk top or if I drag the whole file into the maps folder in Lugaru.

best I can get is a window that says (STOP sign graphic) Unable to unarchive "climber" into "Desktop". (Error 1 - Operation not permitted.)

thanks!

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:13 am

huh! dang, Tannim, another artistically envisioned map! Nicely done.

Is it possible to do if your hero is not in the mood to grab on any edges? For some reason Turner is in a no-edge-grabbing mood... he gets that way from time to time for some reason.

I got him up to just under the first of the small blocks just jumping and landing on his feet, but then I'm stuck.

Love the long-jump and redirecting your flight in midair bits.

tannim

Post by tannim » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:31 am

The file was not zipped because I was lazy. And Everybody should turn off that insane/stupid "Hide Known Extensions" option in windows explorer. It invites people to open viruses.

All blocks were placed with Random/Random for Vertical and horizontal rotation. That prevents a perfect flat top so turner cannot and will not grab the edges. It's both good and bad. It makes it harder, but removes some of the fun of the game since he's supposed to be able to climb. Flat surfaces are pretty dull though.

Some of the jumps you can just BARELY make. If you take a screenshot of the jump, maybe I can suggest how. There are also dead ends. If you can't go one way, you may try looking for another. Some slopes look too steep, but you can really walk up them. Midair jump redirection is vital in some places.

Glad you enjoy how it looks, it really is a hard map!

I do have another idea for a new map, but that one would take a long time to make as it would be a vertical version of cave maze with passages that go up and down and side to side. So it would be harder to navigate than any other map except maybe Collapsed Valley on Insane(no minimap), and probably even that.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:41 am

tannim you can zip files by just right clicking on them and choosing "send to compressed file" (Win) or "compress" (Mac). On Linux, just type zip file.zip file.

tannim

Post by tannim » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:53 am

my file manager doesn't have the option and I greatly dislike windows explorer. It'll do as it is... makes people read before playing ; )

yeah I'm stubborn and lazy

skraeling

Post by skraeling » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Very interesting. There seem to be multiple paths? since I missed the first and fourth checkpoints. It was okay since I also played it Prince of Persia style, restarting from the last place I fell not the last checkpoint.

Good work.

tannim

Post by tannim » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:09 pm

There probably are alternate paths, I can't check all paths in this type of level. The more skill you have the more paths that are likely open to you.

Glad you liked it :)

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:24 pm

I've only gotten about a fourth of the way up! XD Kehaar: Turner doesn't grab the edges because the blocks have been rotated. Only objects with ZERO rotation can be grabbed.