14 New Challenge Maps

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
skraeling

14 New Challenge Maps

Post by skraeling » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:30 pm

While some of you are struggling up tannim's tower, or toying with the Overgrowath alpha, or perhaps doing something else entirely, and to help pass even more time, here are fourteen challenge maps I've made.

At first, I wasn't ever going to make more maps for Lugaru. But, after playing Lotus Wolf's and kehaar's campaigns I got to thinking about some cool ideas for maps without any intention of actually making them. Long story short: after a while I had accumulated enough map ideas, just through casual musing, that I decided to make them into a series of challenges.

Installation:
In the LUGARU folder, open the DATA folder, and then the MAPS folder. Backup the maps entitled map1 through map14. Place the maps, with the same names, from my folder into the Lugaru/data/maps. That's it, enjoy.

Here are their titles, in order of appearance:

1) Alternate Ending
2) Quest for the Ice King's Treasure
3) Herot Hall
4) Asteroids
5) Quest for the Ice King's Death
6) iPod Commercial
7) "Neo's fighting Morpheus(es)!"
8) Hare: ODST
9) Ruin In A Field
10) MYST Wars!: Channelwood Age
11) Treefort: Reuse, Recycle
12) You Think You're Big Time? You're Gonna Die Big Time. (Arena Trial)
13) I'm Only Swearing 'Cause I'm Happy To See You (Arena Trial)
14) That Sound You Hear Is My Fist Laughing At Your Face (Arena Trial)

They should all work properly, for the most part. Some of them act a little funny sometimes, but just reload them and things should be okay. Any questions or problems, just shout.

Enjoy,
skraeling

———————————————————————————————————
**Note:** This mod (maps and custom textures) is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike license, version 4.0 International (CC-BY-SA 4.0, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/)
Attributions can be made to "Philtron R.".
Attachments
skraeling's challenge maps.zip
(45.58 KiB) Downloaded 1165 times
Last edited by skraeling on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lotus Wolf

Re: 14 New Challenge Maps

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Awesome, I really loved the treehouse levels. All were great, I'd expect nothing less from you! :wink:

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:07 am

WOW!

Beautiful! You and Tannim are the winners for art 'n architecture, each with your own style. As always, pushing the limits of Lugaru map aesthetics beyond what we thought possible.

The arenas are pretty challenging, too, no joke. And the score in Asteroids cracked me up. And who knew there was some weird kind of techno-shrine in the back of that one building?

Seems like there should be some stickies for these. Maybe one for Maps & Map Packs and one for Campaigns.
I remember a really nice map pack that I can't seem to find anymore, and it would be kind of cool if there was a central spot right up top in the Lugaru forum so good ones wouldn't get lost.

I know there's the Awesome Lugaru Downloader, maybe that could work for map packs and individual maps like Tannim's Climber...

(The map pack I'm thinking of was one of the first I'd seen with really fun crazy cliff climbing-- wintertime, with some boulder angles that seemed insane but that you could just walk on. If you were tripped in a fight, you'd just sliiiiiii-iiide down them 'til you fell off 100m to your death. Anyone remember that one? I think it also had some very nice high, skinny platform stuff.)

Ok, back to getting my ass kicked by Climber.

tannim

Post by tannim » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:04 am

Hey, those are good levels. I liked the arenas a lot. The city maps could have used a few more enemies to make you wander around more but those were very well designed and looked great. Black and yellow map was really cool. Asteroids was fun and simple. First map looked like a modified stonehall(or rock hall or whatever) and worked nicely.

It's good to see somebody else making some really good looking maps! Great work.

The bushes in the second arena were damned annoying. I leave them out of my maps because I don't like them but they worked well to make it harder.

tannim

Post by tannim » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:06 am

You are thinking of(I think) my Vertical Climber map, Kehaar. It's in my campaign, I forget which map exactly but I think it's before 3D Maze.
kehaar wrote:WOW!

Beautiful! You and Tannim are the winners for art 'n architecture, each with your own style. As always, pushing the limits of Lugaru map aesthetics beyond what we thought possible.

The arenas are pretty challenging, too, no joke. And the score in Asteroids cracked me up. And who knew there was some weird kind of techno-shrine in the back of that one building?

Seems like there should be some stickies for these. Maybe one for Maps & Map Packs and one for Campaigns.
I remember a really nice map pack that I can't seem to find anymore, and it would be kind of cool if there was a central spot right up top in the Lugaru forum so good ones wouldn't get lost.

I know there's the Awesome Lugaru Downloader, maybe that could work for map packs and individual maps like Tannim's Climber...

(The map pack I'm thinking of was one of the first I'd seen with really fun crazy cliff climbing-- wintertime, with some boulder angles that seemed insane but that you could just walk on. If you were tripped in a fight, you'd just sliiiiiii-iiide down them 'til you fell off 100m to your death. Anyone remember that one? I think it also had some very nice high, skinny platform stuff.)

Ok, back to getting my ass kicked by Climber.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 pm

tannim wrote:You are thinking of(I think) my Vertical Climber map, Kehaar. It's in my campaign, I forget which map exactly but I think it's before 3D Maze.
No, I just played your campaign over again a few days ago-- it's awesome, btw, even if I have to erase npc's on some maps to keep my frames above 10fps :? ...

I think it came out a bit before your campaign. Also had some good really high catwalk style maps and some villages. The most radical climbing map was just boulders, and had a wolf and a rabbit at the top. No luck in searches, kind of a shame since it was fun.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Was it released by someone who isn't here anymore, and a lot of people couldn't play them because of how glitchy they were?

skraeling

Post by skraeling » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:50 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4262&start=0

I believe this might be what you were referring to?
It was one of the first forum topics I replied to. I don't believe he is active on the forums anymore.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:54 pm

That's what I was referring to. :mrgreen:

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 am

skraeling wrote:viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4262&start=0

I believe this might be what you were referring to?
It was one of the first forum topics I replied to. I don't believe he is active on the forums anymore.
Yay! That's the one! My favorite is somewhere around #8, where you walk on absolutely impossible looking slopes. Also some fun fight-in-a-maze villages that unfortunately eat my frame rate so I have to erase all but 4 opponents. :?

Tannim, this stuff looks right up your alley, with the mazes and climbing.

Thanks for finding this, and thanks again to bobdole for making the maps.