Lugaru Mod Stickie Proposal (long-ish)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
kehaar

Lugaru Mod Stickie Proposal (long-ish)

Post by kehaar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:08 am

EDIT: Sorry for the weird line breaks in the following. It looked normal in notepad and pasted up like this. :?

So we all love the mods the community makes. I've even read in a review or two that the
user-made campaigns are one of the things that make Lugaru so great.

This proposal comes out of my experience playing a fun Lugaru challenge-map set and then not
being able to find it 6 months later. Luckily, Skraeling remembered enough about it to find it in a search, so it's available again.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to make a single pool of mods so it would be easy for a
new Lugaru player to tap in to the fun single maps, challenge map sets, campaigns, and the
Lugaru Downloader.

It would be stickied so it didn't get lost off the bottom of the screen due to thread inactivity.

The mods would be hosted on the Wolfire server (if I'm saying that right :roll: ) so having
something expire on Willhostforfood or suchlike wouldn't result in a map pack getting lost.
I think it would be best for the sticky to be locked so it wouldn't fill up with discussion and make
it hard for players to find stuff. Discussion would go back to the original threads where the mod
was first posted. Maybe the modder's introductory paragraph or two and a nice screen shot
would do for an overview of what each mod was, and any notes or caveats about frame-rate or
glitches they wanted to post. Some pretty cool map packs might be by folks who aren't active on the forums, so maybe someone else could put in a sentance or two of discription.

I know not every map and map package is awesome enough to be permanently stuck at the top
of the forums. Some maps aren't ready due to playability, some might be thrown together so
hastily they just aren't interesting or fun. I don't really have a good way for this to be done, and I
don't want to hurt anyone's feelings... so maybe some kind of nominating system could be
established. It might take a certain number of votes to get something added, or something like
that.

Here are my nominations so far, in no particular order:

Matto1990's awesome Lugaru Downloader. Naturally. (NOTE: links are to the forum threads, since some of these have several editions, and I'm not sure which one to link to. In the stickie I'd like to just have links to the mod download itself)

Tannim's Mini Campaign. Beautiful and inventive-- get mugged by a chibi cartoon!
( I know, these 1st three are already in the Downloader, but in case someone can't use the
Downloader, it would be sad if they missed them.)

Lotus Wolf's Reluctant Assassin Campaign. Good story and the toughest campaign so far, IMO.

kehaar's Ancestral Tales Campaign. (shameless plug, I know) For the story nerds out there... the longest campaign.

Skraeling's Challenge Map Pack. More creative, artistic and challenging maps from one of our best designers!

bobdole's Challenge Map Pack. Some awesome mountainside fights, and more nice buildings, villages and mazes.

Tannim's Hard Climber Map. Really hard, but you can do it! (or so they tell me. I'm still stuck :roll: )

I know I've forgotten some, and most likely never seen others, so please let me know what you think.

If the nice folks at Wolfire think this is worthwhile, next I'd like to do the same with skins and other textures and maybe make a compilation of tutorial and advice for modders-- although maybe that should go into the wiki itself.

Joxer

Re: Lugaru Mod Stickie Proposal (long-ish)

Post by Joxer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:35 am

I agree that there has to be something a bit more organised than what there is currently, discovering the awsome Lugaru Downloader after manually trying out a few of the mods was not ideal. Being a bit of a n00b here I was confused that Ancestral Tales was not stickied while the other mods are.

I would say though that it might be better suited to have the actual info in a wiki page and have a stickied topic that gave basic information, maybe links to the relevant threads but certainly a link to the wiki page.

I doublt it should be locked though, so people could announce new mods (please!), I would suggest start a new thread for the mod - update the sticky mods thread with an announcement and a link to the thread saying 'please add comments to that thread, not here', this would prevent the board filling with stickied threads and also prevent them getting lost.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:23 am

Great idea, Kehaar.
Joxer wrote:I doublt it should be locked though, so people could announce new mods (please!), I would suggest start a new thread for the mod - update the sticky mods thread with an announcement and a link to the thread saying 'please add comments to that thread, not here', this would prevent the board filling with stickied threads and also prevent them getting lost.
Excellent idea.

I'll make a few searches to see if I can find any random challenge maps.

skraeling's map pack
eyecube's map pack
untadaike's map pack
hale's maps

And now, I quote rudel_ic, because he's awesome:
rudel_ic wrote:Your mom is bulgarian. Oh wait, it's true.. Oh well.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:16 pm

This idea has been thrown around by the devs. There's already a web page for mods, and though I can't remember the link, Jeff could certainly enlighten us. :)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:01 pm

If anyone wants permanent hosting for their mod, please send it to me: [email protected] or upload it to the forum

It would be great to clean up the wiki http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Portal:Lugaru and then we could use that as the canonical reference: