The Sword

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
pwn monkey

The Sword

Post by pwn monkey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:31 pm

Does anyone else notice that the sword is the most completely useless weapon in the game? Where as the bo staff is like god in stick form?
does anyone else feel this way or do i just suck haha.

Johannes

Re: The Sword

Post by Johannes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:07 pm

Bo staff breaks, sword doesn't. I'd probably take a sword over a staff in a fight against a large amount of enemies.

pwn monkey

Post by pwn monkey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Well is there a trick to using it? whenever i try to it ends up turning into a 30 second reversal battle.

DJisbored

Post by DJisbored » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Yeah, I hated it too, until I read something on here about it. Just wait till right before they get up to you and hold your mouse down. It doesn't take long to figure out the timing, and it's lethal (unless, the enemy also has a sword in which case it'll usually be blocked, but I think I've found a way around that too).

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:12 am

Exactly. What's great about lugaru is that the main difference from being able to beat the game on easy to being able to beat it on insane not better gear or stats, but timing and finesse, basically understanding the mechanics better. Timing is everything if you want to be able to make the most out of any of the three weapons, or any facet of Lugaru combat in general. You just need more practice =)

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:21 am

jo-shadow wrote:Exactly. What's great about lugaru is that the main difference from being able to beat the game on easy to being able to beat it on insane not better gear or stats, but timing and finesse, basically understanding the mechanics better. Timing is everything if you want to be able to make the most out of any of the three weapons, or any facet of Lugaru combat in general. You just need more practice =)
Interestingly enough, I have mastered combat with nearly everything EXCEPT the sword. I need to go have long practice times with that, methinks.

And some of the knife-rolling throwing tactics. I'm not a master at Lugaru, although I'm better than the average player. (Guessing from times, scores, in other parts of the forum)

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:41 am

DJisbored is right. I used to think the sword was useless until I learned it's range. It has a wider reach than your enemies do, so you can be swiping at them before they even get to you. A cheap way to win is just to hold down attack as they approach you. (As DJ said) They will keep coming and you will keep hitting them.

DJisbored

Post by DJisbored » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:02 pm

Also, replaying the (original) ninth challenge level is a good way to practice with it. I learnt how to use swords there and I've been playing that one specifically a lot, in different ways (like allowing the enemy to pick up their sword when you knock it down and only killing them when they have a sword or challenging more than one at a time or seeing how many you can without being seen, all fun stuff)

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:05 pm

DJisbored wrote:Also, replaying the (original) ninth challenge level is a good way to practice with it. I learnt how to use swords there and I've been playing that one specifically a lot, in different ways (like allowing the enemy to pick up their sword when you knock it down and only killing them when they have a sword or challenging more than one at a time or seeing how many you can without being seen, all fun stuff)
The ninth one is the dudes with all the swords, right? I used to have so much trouble with that one until I learned to NOT use the sword. I'll have to have another go at it with your sword strategy.

Lord_of_Sausage

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:54 am

Just to clarify - I killed the last boss (what was he called again?) on Insane with the sword, in one hit. (Backstab ftw :D)

patrick1

Post by patrick1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:40 am

For me sword is the most important weapon. But we need to practice on how to handle it. Just like me, until now, I am practicing with my cane sword

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:09 pm

patrick1 wrote:For me sword is the most important weapon. But we need to practice on how to handle it. Just like me, until now, I am practicing with my cane sword
In a few years time we will be ruled by machines.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 pm

This is but the first of a terrible wave of spammers soon to break upon the shores of Lugaru.

blood-shard
Location: in a house in a heartbeat 28 miles away 28 days later

Post by blood-shard » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:This is but the first of a terrible wave of spammers soon to break upon the shores of Lugaru.
Too the bunkers ! :O damn, maybe spamming newbies are a huge massive computer A.I from Russia made to spam wolfire :? I hope not,we might end up like in that movie "War games" or what its called xD.

Megika

Post by Megika » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:50 pm

To be on-topic, I find the sword is really powerful and effective, but boring. It's just so damn tedious to use - you get one attack, and all you have to do is hold down the button. Woo, you win.