Staves

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Noz

Staves

Post by Noz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:26 am

Why is everyone hating on the staffs in lugaru??? They were the best weapon! By far. I could knock over a wolf and smash him in 4 secs tops.

Glabbit

Re: Staffs

Post by Glabbit » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:56 am

Actually, that's exactly the problem. They make the game too easy.
This also results in your failing to practice the combat system to its full degree and getting your ass whooped in the next level in which there are wolves and no staff.

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:56 am

Hmm, Noz, I don't know, why you put this thread in the Wolfire forum and not in the Lugaru forum, but anyway...

Glabbit is right. The staff and the sword are a little overpowered. Hand-to-hand-combat and knife fighting give you a variety of options, how to beat your opponents. With the staff the only viable tactic is to hit the opponent to a pulp and it pretty much always succeeds. Gets boring (especially in contrast to the other fighting in Lugaru).

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:57 am

Glabbit wrote:Actually, that's exactly the problem. They make the game too easy.
This also results in your failing to practice the combat system to its full degree and getting your ass whooped in the next level in which there are wolves and no staff.
I disagree with this post. The staff does not make the game too easy. While the leg sweep followed up by several attacks with the staff does work well on wolves, it only works about once per staff on each wolf. This means that the remaining enemies must be taken down without a staff.

The sword clearly has the greater advantage.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:20 pm

I suppose you're right on that point. Rephrase, then: The staff made the game significantly easy-ER. (Yes, yes, 'easier'. Though typing 'easi-er' seems odd to me)
The Sword, indeed, makes it too easy.

Noz

Post by Noz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:29 pm

tokage wrote:Hmm, Noz, I don't know, why you put this thread in the Wolfire forum and not in the Lugaru forum, but anyway...
Well, I thought it would be relevant to OG and Lugaru. I guess you guys are right about it making the game too easy. I did like finding staffs though. And using it on that last enemy. It would have been better if they were more like gems that were used very sparingly in the game.

Noz

Post by Noz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Glabbit wrote:I suppose you're right on that point. Rephrase, then: The staff made the game significantly easy-ER. (Yes, yes, 'easier'. Though typing 'easi-er' seems odd to me)
I thought the sword was very hard to master.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:56 pm

Actually, the correct pluralisation is "staves".

I don't really enjoy using staves. They break after I kill one wolf. They're fun while they last though.

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Noz wrote:
Glabbit wrote:I suppose you're right on that point. Rephrase, then: The staff made the game significantly easy-ER. (Yes, yes, 'easier'. Though typing 'easi-er' seems odd to me)
Hold the attack button down.

Noz

Post by Noz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Aspen wrote:
Noz wrote:
But that is so boring.

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Noz wrote:
Noz wrote:
Aspen wrote:
But that is so boring.

Glabbit

Staves? Yet we're discussing swords!

Post by Glabbit » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

I believe, Nozzy dear, you've just found the answers to your questions.

Noz

Re: Staves? Yet we're discussing swords!

Post by Noz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Glabbit wrote:I believe, Nozzy dear, you've just found the answers to your questions.
haha, i suppose you are right. Although, I guess i was wondering why people were saying that the staff is hard to use.

Aspen

Re: Staves? Yet we're discussing swords!

Post by Aspen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Noz wrote:
Glabbit wrote:I believe, Nozzy dear, you've just found the answers to your questions.
haha, i suppose you are right. Although, I guess i was wondering why people were saying that the staff is hard to use.
Until you realize that the attack button is best used when held down, the staff is very difficult to keep in one's possession. Enemies are always snatching it from you and dodging it, making it very hard to land a successful hit.

Flamespike
Location: Standing right behind you..... >.<[=l===> <<<thats a sword btw

Re: Staves

Post by Flamespike » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Heres how to affectively use the staff.

step 1: Grab a staff (Derp)
step 2: alert your enemy
step 2.5: RUN!
step 3: run a bit ahead of your enemy, and then stop.
step 4: HOLD the attack button AND CROUCH
step 5: when you trip your enemy, quickly stand up and then just press and hold attack to smash his sorry @$$ into the ground