Damage and Range

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Aspen

Damage and Range

Post by Aspen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Is it possible to increase the damage of the weapons? For example, it generally takes five or more slashes to kill the average rabbit using the knife. Is it possible to increase the damage of the knife to such a point as to where I can kill the rabbit using one move, that move not being punctured?

Also, can I increase the range of the weapons by increasing their length? I am curious to see if I can make a 50-foot staff and still have it be effective.

ilkondom

Re: Damage and Range

Post by ilkondom » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:12 am

The only way to increase their size is to decrease yours.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:11 pm

ilkondom wrote:The only way to increase their size is to decrease yours.
Even I know that is not true. Maybe you have seen the hard-edge weapon Lotus Wolf made?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:03 pm

If you change your strength with the console, weapons make more damage.

Something like
strength 40.0
is almost too much. With that much, if you stab a downed rabbit with a knife, he flies a bit.

http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Console_Guide

Or maybe it was power and the console guide is wrong, can't check now.

Anyway, if you alter this and save the map, it _should_ carry over. That's at least how I remember it.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 pm

hm, I'd be interested to see what range you get with a long weapon model... the amount of damage you do is set to the character, so if you change it, all the weapons and your unarmed attacks go up and down at once. There are 2 separate settings for damage resistance in characters (one for pointy weapons and one for blunt force), so you could fake a really strong "Magical Master Sword" by lowering everyone's "sharp weapon resistance" in a map... but all knives and other swords would have the same effects in that map.

Slightly off topic, taller npc's have noticeably longer reach and run faster due to their longer strides, so that can add interest to maps. It's also fun to mix into a crowd a couple of random npc's who are a wee bit faster, or stronger, or have some extra blunt-force or bladed-weapon resistance. Too much extra speed starts to make the movements look unreal, but the others are invisible.

ilkondom

Post by ilkondom » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 am

Armored Wolf wrote:
ilkondom wrote:The only way to increase their size is to decrease yours.
Even I know that is not true. Maybe you have seen the hard-edge weapon Lotus Wolf made?
Yea but he isn't lotus and don't have the modeling skills so that's the only way.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:41 pm

The length of the model is irrelevant, the attack is triggered when there is a short distance between you and the target. After that, if the rabbit jumps backward the long model will phase through him. There's no way I know of to change this.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:35 pm

rudel_ic wrote: Or maybe it was power and the console guide is wrong, can't check now.
Yes, it is Power, not strength, for damage.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Power, I believe, controls weapon damage, while Strength controls melee damage. The two are intertwined in some way though- if I set Power to 10.0, rabbits blow up when I punch them, so eh.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:49 pm

Interesting... I must experiment.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:48 pm

Weapon range seems to be unmoddable for the most part. Might be possible though. Someone would have to alter the weapon orientation mesh for an attack with my animation Import/Export scripts and observe the result. Probably would have to add a WOM first though, some attack animations don't have a WOM at all, so I guess they don't have non-standard weapon orientation? I don't really know.

But I think it would make sense if the WOM would determine the reach of a weapon. Haven't experimented with that yet though. But someone should!