A damage bar in Lugaru

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
MCMic

A damage bar in Lugaru

Post by MCMic » Fri May 21, 2010 9:43 am

Hi!
I coded a damage bar for Lugaru and just updated it on a mercurial clone!
You can get it here : http://code.google.com/r/comebernigaud-lugaru/
You have to put at the end of your config.txt file :

Code: Select all

Damage bar:
to activate it. (or 0 to desactivate it)

It shows the damages and the blood lost. (and permanent damages are darker)

Enjoy :-)

[EDIT] Oh, and here is a screenshot : Image

Freshbite

Re: A damage bar in Lugaru

Post by Freshbite » Fri May 21, 2010 1:38 pm

While it's a great feature to have a HP bar, I think it kind of slays the whole point of having to rely on visual changes on the character to determine his physical health, like a bloody cheek.

But nonetheless, great job. I'm sure that many will have use of it.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Fri May 21, 2010 3:39 pm

I agree with Freshbite. Good job, it's far better than I could do, but for me, the appeal of the game was the lack of such things, and having to rely on instinct and guesswork to know your limits.

tannim

Post by tannim » Fri May 21, 2010 6:49 pm

A fun idea. Great for seeing how much damage certain attacks do to you. And how much you take for missed leg cannons and "nice aim!" type situations.

MCMic

Post by MCMic » Sat May 22, 2010 5:37 am

Well, I've never seen "visual changes on the character", besides holding its chest when he's really bad.
The damage bar is desactivable in the config file, so players that does not want to use it can desactivate it.

But coding it helped me understand how the game works, especially that you can die from two thing : damages or blood loss. And when you're facing something with claws, that's often from blood loss that you die ^^

So I hope using it will help people to understand better the game, so maybe they'll can play without it after :P

DJisbored

Post by DJisbored » Sat May 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Maybe I'm just slow or I missed it, but I couldn't figure out how to get it in. I didn't really try for more than five minutes which probably didn't help <_<. Anyways I'm lazy. Has anyone tested it out in debug along side the "H" button? I've noticed that sometimes when I use it I become immortal ._. I'd like to know how it reacts with the bar.

MCMic

Post by MCMic » Sat May 22, 2010 2:28 pm

DJisbored wrote:Maybe I'm just slow or I missed it, but I couldn't figure out how to get it in. I didn't really try for more than five minutes which probably didn't help <_<. Anyways I'm lazy. Has anyone tested it out in debug along side the "H" button? I've noticed that sometimes when I use it I become immortal ._. I'd like to know how it reacts with the bar.
You have to add in your config.txt file the code like I said in the first post. You did that?

DJisbored

Post by DJisbored » Sat May 22, 2010 5:29 pm

MCMic wrote: You have to add in your config.txt file the code like I said in the first post. You did that?
I was talking about the site. The navigation, and point of being there didn't make a lot of sense to me. plus like I said I'm lazy /;

Imagamer45

Post by Imagamer45 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Yeah, I'm having trouble downloading the health bar too. There doesn't seem to be some kind of download link anywhere.

MCMic

Post by MCMic » Tue May 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Imagamer45 wrote:Yeah, I'm having trouble downloading the health bar too. There doesn't seem to be some kind of download link anywhere.
You have to download the source and compile it :-/
If you're not used to that, it might not be easy. (if you use GNU/Linux, it's pretty easy, I can explain you)

My damage bar had been integrated in the official repo, they do some built sometimes. You'll have to wait for the next one : http://code.google.com/p/lugaru

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed May 26, 2010 10:14 am

I agree that Lugaru doesn't need a healthbar, but it's a nice feature all the same. Might be able to do some miniexperiments with damage types and attacks and stuff like that.

sonia12345

Post by sonia12345 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Speaking of health-- I'm gonna post this question here rather than start a new thread in case one exists that I just can't find.

I agree that it's kind of neat to not have the health bar so that you have to rely on organic/intuitive guesswork to figure out when you're near dying...

But it would be very nice to have some basic information about how health and/or healing works. Is there healing? It's becoming apparent that there are no healing items or anything of that sort, but... What I want to know is, when I'm mid-combat, if I run away for a while will I slowly recover some health? Or is all damage permanent till you finish that level?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu May 27, 2010 4:57 pm

There are two types of damage; temporary and permanent. Temporary damage comes from punches, kicks, and staff blows- anything blunt will cause temporary trauma, which you can heal from just by standing still or crouching for a while and letting your health naturally restore. Permanent damage comes from sharp blows, like knives, swords, and wolves' claws. Taking permanent damage reduces your maximum health for that level. Also, you bleed when you are cut by something; bleeding is actually temporary damage and is restored over time.

Here's a simple example of temp/permanent damage interaction.

If Turner starts off with 1000 HP and he's hit with a staff in the head, he has 300 left (not really, making this up as I go)

300/1000

If Turner waits long enough, his HP will be restored to the maximum level.

1000/1000

Now, if Turner is cut by a knife/sword/claw, his maximum HP will drop;

900/900

he will take instant damage from the cut;

800/900

and then he will bleed for a bit, causing more damage;

750/900

If he waits long enough, his HP will be restored to the maximum.

900/900.

Hope that made sense.

MCMic

Post by MCMic » Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm

There are 3 king of damages, normal one, permanent ones and super-permanent ones.
The normal are recovered pretty quickly, the permanent slowly recover and the super-permanent never recover.
There is also the blood loss, from which you can't recover.

(The bloodloss is the number between parenthesis on my damage bar, and reprensented by the darker red. The damages are the semi-transparent red part of the bar, the more permanent the damages are, the more dark the red is.)

sonia12345

Post by sonia12345 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:08 am

Cool. Very helpful, thanks guys!