Windows 7 Ragdoll Lag

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Noz

Windows 7 Ragdoll Lag

Post by Noz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:01 pm

I recently installed lugaru onto my laptop which runs with windows 7. I began playing and noticed that any character or the player, when in ragdoll state, would make the game lag considerably. I know it's not a problem with the video card or processor. Could someone please help. And I apologize if this problem has already been resolved on another post.

*EDIT* It's actually only the player. Maybe it has something to do with the camera.

PsychotropicDog

Re: Windows 7 Ragdoll Lag

Post by PsychotropicDog » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:36 am

Does the game lag, or is it a 'slow motion' state?
The slow mo periods usually occur when you finish off an opponent.

Noz

Post by Noz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 am

No, It is the game lagging. The slow motion stages are not a problem.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Do you mean that the framerate goes down? The video motion isn't smooth anymore, but stutters?

Because lag is a term for a delay between expected response and response. Like in multiplayer games — "Gandalf has a lag of 120ms" means that when Gandalf clicks, the server reflects the click 120ms later. Or when you move the mouse and it stays behind, like in Dead Space with VSync on.

Noz

Post by Noz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm sorry, yes, the framerate goes down. But I'm pretty sure the term can be used in both ways.
Last edited by Noz on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Well, the ragdoll computations are relatively easy to pull off before a frame is supposed to be rendered at any reasonable framerate.

Please open the Windows task manager, go to the tab where the graph displays the CPU usage. Then start Lugaru and provoke the situation a few times. If you're in Debug Mode, you can press N to force a ragdoll.
Then quit Lugaru and check whether the ragdoll actually consumes so much CPU time that it drowns out other operations. You should see the CPU graph staying at around 100% whenever you ragdolled if that's the case.

If it is in fact the CPU drowning, make sure there's no tasks running (except the task manager and necessary services). Also deactivate your antivirus software.
Repeat the experiment.
If the same result is shown, all you can do is wait for a patch. To help with the patch, please state which CPU you have. Manufacturer, model, number of cores, 32 or 64 bit.

If it's not the CPU drowning, then make sure your graphics driver is up-to-date. Don't use Windows Update to confirm though — instead, go to the graphics chip's manufacturer and get the most recent driver there.
Since it's a laptop, you have to make sure that you're not picking a generic driver by accident. There's a specific driver for your graphics chip somewhere on the internet. Generic drivers are usually for desktop graphics cards.

When you end up in a dead end in the instructions above, meaning you did all you could, but the problem persists, you can go on IRC and try to connect with someone who's currently changing code on Windows 7 and try to collaborate with him to make the ragdoll computations much more efficient.

I think that's all of your options.

Noz

Post by Noz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Well, somehow, the problem resolved itself. 0_o

But now, the slomo sequences aren't rendered in the game. It just pauses before the slomo part and plays again after it ends.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:25 pm

You can deactivate slomo in config.txt as a workaround.

Edit: Or from the game's settings menu, I think.

Noz

Post by Noz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:09 pm

No, it's in the config.file and not on the menu. I knew this, but I was wondering if I could get rid of the problem itself. Ah well.