New idea for a campaign

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Ramroom

New idea for a campaign

Post by Ramroom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:26 pm

I was playing a couple of mods the other day and realised that pretty much all the campaigns have the same storyline (almost), Rebels,Dictators,Emperors,Tyrannical wolves, so I decided to write my own campaign, since I have little modding experience (Im a science major) I need somone to help me turn my story into a mod!

okay, It goes like this,

Once upon a time in the land of Lugaru, A rabbit realized a dream, a dream which required him to build a great monument to the founder of Lugaru, Turner, the heroic rabbit, whilst trying to accomplish this project he runs into an evil pack of rabbit lawyers who try to rob him of his money, legal and more downwind ways, like sabatoge and bribery, do not work out, so they decide to hire ninjas,assasins and mercenaries to carry out their dirty work, and the adventure begins.

A little note, the mod must have some sort of office and a buildsite to give players the sense of construction and legal procedures being done.

Please help me to realise this story and turn it into a mod.

Suggestments and constructive criticism are welcome.

Untadaike

Re: New idea for a campaign

Post by Untadaike » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Sounds intriguing! You may or may not be able to find people willing to help you with this. Though modding Lugaru can be very difficult and frustrating, it is fairly easy to get the basics. There are several threads around here giving tips on map-making and dialog editing. Also check out the wiki: http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Portal:Lugaru Or you could always pre-order Overgrowth and make your campaign with OG instead when it comes out. It will hopefully be easier to make your own campaigns then. But OG will probably require an extremely pimp computer (one that you may very well have; I, sadly, do not). But I'd say more power to you if you want to make a Lugaru campaign! Keep in mind that Lugaru's strength is it's fighting system above all else, so if you have lots of awesome battle maps, you have some happy players, though a good story won't hurt either, like the one you have in the making. Good luck mate.

Edit: welcome to the forums btw.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:26 am

It's the same as the others. Tyrannical emperors, shady ninja-hiring lawyers... Rebel freedom-fighters, dreamers that somehow know enough kung-fu to kick ninja ass... It's all the same really, but if you want a lawyer crawling up yours instead of an emperor, then by all means. :P

Ramroom

Post by Ramroom » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:42 am

Lotus Wolf wrote:It's the same as the others. Tyrannical emperors, shady ninja-hiring lawyers... Rebel freedom-fighters, dreamers that somehow know enough kung-fu to kick ninja ass... It's all the same really, but if you want a lawyer crawling up yours instead of an emperor, then by all means. :P
Well you do have a point there... :?

But it seems nearly impossible to create a reasonable storyline without using the same basis for the fighting, I mean whats left to create? Racist Ninja Rabbits? :|

(edit): I am partially serious about the Racist Ninja Rabbits, no offense or anyhing :shock:

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:57 am

Hehe, yeah that's the basic jist of it. Maybe we could do a mario type of thing... no wait, it's the same too! One of my unreleased mods followed a different scheme, it was more of a 'chase the main badguy around the world while cleaning up his mischief' story. ...Although it did start off with families dying...

Ramroom

Post by Ramroom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:45 am

Yea, I guess your right.

I guess that the only way to make a new fresh mod is to add maybe something like skills, yknow evasion,strength,jump, etc..

But it would simply make it look to rpg'sh, and lugaru is to awsome to be an rpg :mrgreen: .
The only wat it would work is if the skill system was simple and was continuous, for now it seems impossible but maybe wolfire will be able to implement it into overgrowth!

Ramroom

Post by Ramroom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:56 am

After a night of popcorn munching and belly-fat development I got a message from the heavens!
(most likely coke overload).

How about a gladiator themed lugaru? where an emporer or maybe the ultimate wolve hero challenges Bay ( the main hero )
to fight the strongest bunnies (and wolves) while advancing to larger more challenging arenas, maybe even with a weapon rack and obstacles! and pherhaps an arena with spikes or with stepping stones, making the fighting all the more epic and awsome!

It has a good enough story and alot of gore it seems good to me!

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:39 pm

That actually sounds pretty cool. I'd play it. I'm going to point out a couple limitations that Lugaru presents to that idea, BUT the source code itself was just released, so far be it from me to tell people what they can or can't do.

The only way you can get weapons into a level is to have the weapon equipped to someone. A dropped weapon will not be there the next time you load the level, even if you save it. So no weapon rack.

No spikes. The only object that can damage you is the fire.

After that quick half-glass-empty talk, again I'll say that anything is possible with the code. I'm not a hardcore programmer so I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I know some people here are programmers, so...

But even the basic idea of advancing to increasingly difficult challenges is very exciting. You can change the stats (speed, damage, health etc) of opponents already so that would work perfectly. I can't wait. Nice idea.

TheGreatBug

Post by TheGreatBug » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Yeah, that definitely sounds nice. Hopefully we'll be able to do something to the code to make a more interesting environment for the arena (like the spikes).

Ramroom

Post by Ramroom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks guys, I do hope someone breaks the lugaru code and finds out how to assign damage properties and maybe even a weapon rack, but what I would REALLY I mean REALLY REALLY want is a skill system, making lugaru even better, maybe even new moves, The moves get to repetitive to easy to fast.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:54 pm

You mean like Conan or something? Yeah, that could be cool, though it doesn't seem in line with Lugaru's feel. Still, definite potential for awesomeness.

And although there's still a lot of excitement and interest over Lugaru and the possibilities that the source code holds, a lot of the modders are gearing towards coding for Overgrowth. I should seriously rustle up some discipline and learn a language. If I was a programmer, I'd totally help you with this. As cool and awesome as Overgrowth is bound to be, Lugaru will always remain in my heart. Kudos for you if you can find cornier way to say that.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:16 pm

Well you could just have a story line with the main character as a common soldier for a country in a war with another country over some slightly differing viewpoints.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Ramroom wrote:After a night of popcorn munching and belly-fat development I got a message from the heavens!
(most likely coke overload).

How about a gladiator themed lugaru? where an emporer or maybe the ultimate wolve hero challenges Bay ( the main hero )
to fight the strongest bunnies (and wolves) while advancing to larger more challenging arenas, maybe even with a weapon rack and obstacles! and pherhaps an arena with spikes or with stepping stones, making the fighting all the more epic and awsome!

It has a good enough story and alot of gore it seems good to me!
I didn't read this before, but I actually tried to make a mod like that once, I gave up after trying to get dialogue to work, but that was before I had a pc and the dialogue editor.