How do you make a campaign?

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
[insertusernamehere]

How do you make a campaign?

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Well, I finally got debug mode to work, and the map editor is very different than I thought, so I thought I'd just ask how to use it to make a campaign. I really dont know much other that space for flying and x and shift-x for weapons. So, ummm... yeah. That's pretty much it.

Untadaike

Re: How do you make a campaign?

Post by Untadaike » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm glad there's still interest in Lugaru modding. Check out the Wiki, in particular theMap Editing page for basics.

Campaigns are tricky, mostly because of the dialog part. Lugaru dialog modding is an endeavor that requires a lot of faith. It can be compared to attempting to convince a magazine to eat it's vegetables. If you're on a PC, use DEdit. viewtopic.php?f=7

If you're on a Mac, ask Kehaar, an experienced Mac dialog editor on these forums, or me or maybe a few other people.

Before jumping into campaigns, though, I highly recommend experimenting with the map editor and getting experience with making challenge levels. If you make 14 of them, upload the map files to the forums and people will gladly check them out.

Assuming you know little about creating a map, the basic idea is to load up a challenge level and clear it of enemies and objects. You can do this by jumping around the map pressing control-delete(backspace). This deletes the nearest objects to you. Then clear the enemies by pressing shift-delete. This also gets rid of their designated patrol points, represented by yellow lines. If there are green lines, these are waypoints, that tell the NPC how to get around objects better. If you want to get rid of those, press shift-, (shift-comma) repeatedly.

Now that you have a nice empty map, you can place enemies and objects. Press shift-LEFT or shift-RIGHT to flip through the 13 object models that you can place. When you find one you like, move to where you want to place it and press M. You can change the size with the UP and DOWN arrows and the two axis's of rotation with the LEFT and RIGHT buttons or control-LEFT/RIGHT.

You can place an enemy by pressing P where you want him to spawn. By default they will spawn in active stance. If you want sleeping or sitting rabbits, open up the console by pressing the tilde key and enter:

Code: Select all

type sleeping
or

type sitting
Return to default with:

type active
After entering any of these codes, all the enemies you place afterwards will be of that stance until you enter in a different one.

Change him from wolf or rabbit with shift-O. Change his appearance with O. If you want them to patrol, use shift-P to set the patrol points. These will only effect the last enemy you place. If you want to redo the patrol points of an enemy, you need to delete all the enemies that you placed after it and then change them, so try and get it right the first time. It will definitely take some experimenting.

Then when you have a cool map or while you making it, open up the console and enter:

save [yourmapnamehere.txt]
It will be saved in your Lugaru maps folder. From in game, you can open a saved level with the open command:

open [yourmapnamehere.txt]
Be warned: Lugaru doesn't allow an unlimited amount of enemies or objects to be placed on one map file. It is essential to back up after you make progress in your map, then test it and see if Lugaru can handle it, then saving over the original. Make sure your new additions don't freeze up or crash Lugaru before you save over your perfectly good map!

These are just the basics. Like I said, the wiki has some good stuff and if you have specific questions, I'd be more than happy to oblige. Good luck and happy map-making!

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:46 pm

He pretty much covered how to make maps, but as for campaigns, you have to do a bit of manual work with the actual files that control the flow of the maps. The Lugaru>Data>Campaigns folder should contain a single 'main.txt' file. This file can be edited with a text editor to choose the order of the maps you've made, and the transition between them. Look here.
Untadaike wrote:It can be compared to attempting to convince a magazine to eat it's vegetables.
Untadaike... You're awesome buddy! :lol:
He's right though.

[insertusernamehere]

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Ok, all that is great and good and AWESOME
except that it wont save. It doesn't give me the click noise when I type it in to the console, but I cannot open it and cant find it in my Maps folder. I keep losing my progress this way... :oops:
I tried the name with and without the brackets...
Oh, and it gives me a sort of bell sound when I save, but a click when I try to open it.
EDIT: I am using Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:17 am

so you're typing in the console "save examplemap" and then you're typing "map examplemap"? oh hey wait they told you to type open didn't they? that'd be your problem I think.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:09 pm

:o

map [mapnamehere]
...would be the right command.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:11 pm

NOOOOOOOO -100,000 respect para mi. Lo siento, señor. These guys are in the right.

[insertusernamehere]

Post by [insertusernamehere] » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Yep. I was typing "open examplemaphere"
And no, you dont need to destroy your 'respect' meter.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:13 pm

So it works now then? good.