Graphics Glitch - Characters turn to grey textured sacks??

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
CroutonsOfDeath

Graphics Glitch - Characters turn to grey textured sacks??

Post by CroutonsOfDeath » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:04 pm

This is weird. I just bought the game off of Steam, and this frequently happens; usually when heavy damage is inflicted, it seems. The characters turn into grey bodies, I would say "Textureless" but they have a kind of sack like material texture... This is weird and kind of distracting. Screens:

Also, here are my specs:
Processor: [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU
Processor Cooling: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (AMD)
Memory: 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB - CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Everything is updated..

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Re: Graphics Glitch - Characters turn to grey textured sacks

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:36 am

I often had a similar problem, the texture looked more like wood though. I never found a definitive fix for that.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:09 am

I've had the wood type thing, only on lugaru on the mac though, haven't had it on windows yet.

CroutonsOfDeath

Post by CroutonsOfDeath » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:59 am

EDIT

Yay! Reverting the drivers back to 10.7 worked! It doesn't show body decals for some reason, but they aren't really crucual to the game I don't think but the loading crash doesn't happen and they never get that weird texture anymore.

Well, I've run into a more severe problem and I think we know where to look. I noticed that if I die, the loading screen freezes about 2 minutes then crashes the game. To avoid that whenever I'm pretty sure I'm gunna die, I just exit level and restart before the "Loading" screen pops up. The crash report says the faulty module is "ATIOGLLX.DLL" which means it is my graphics card, which would explain the weird textures.

I'm going to try something and hopefully get back to you on whether or not it works. The current ATi drivers are a majour pain in the butt with running older versions of OpenGL. It seems that any OGL model made before 2006 has issues but works to a degree, and if it was made between 1996-2003, you are SOL. Shame because half of my favourite oldies are running on the ID Tech 2/3 engines which use that version. At least unreal engine based games lets ya have Direct3D or software.

Anyways, since Lugaru isn't an ID Tech based game I can't use the expand ATIOGLLX.dl_ trick and just fool the game into using an older driver .dll, so I'm going to do a full rollback to 10.7 drivers and try Lugaru. I'll try that and let you guys know if it works or not, since that was the last version that liked older OGL based games.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:55 pm

I was about to say that it might be because of that ridiculous amount of RAM. Whatever would you need so much RAM for man? :P