Newbie, confused about weapons

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
elbows

Newbie, confused about weapons

Post by elbows » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:12 am

Mostly I'm confused because none of them seem very useful. The knife is great for throwing. But in melee, since it doesn't interrupt opponents attacks, I tend to quickly get knocked down and then the bad guy takes the knife.

The sword and staff are devastating if they hit, but they're so easy to reverse. I pretty much suck at reversals, but I can do them reliably against an AI with a sword or staff, and the bots do just as well against me. About the only way I can get a hit in is by sweep-kicking and whacking them while they're down.

Given the steep learning curve I've encountered in the rest of the game, I figure I'm probably missing something. But I couldn't turn up any helpful tips on this forum.

Count Roland

Re: Newbie, confused about weapons

Post by Count Roland » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:01 pm

well here's a few tips, if you happen to have a sword or a staff try standing still and holding attack, release and hold again as soon as they either dodge or take a hit, if they counter make sure to counter counter. for staves also try running at them from behind and holding attack, very few enemies will react in time to avoid it. also with staves the standing attack knocks them off their feet giving you time to run over and beat them senseless, with swords you can jump and flip over enemies to confuse them before stabbing them in the back, as well as being able to trip and easily slay enemies. The knife is slightly harder to use, it's best to simply sneak up on enemies and tracheotomy them, but vary that with spine crusher for more points, however if an enemy has detected you, it may be best to sheathe your knife, flip over the enemy and draw the knife to perform a tracheotomy. it is also useful to throw it in these cases; Wolves, if the knife hits the wolf than the wolf can not remove it himself, which opens him up to a one hit kill if you knock him over and pull the knife out while rolling over him; When an enemy is near a wall, the knife often knocks enemies over, if they are near the wall than they may be knocked into it causing extra damage. Knives also can be useful when pursued by multiple enemies as you can do a flip off a wall and often hit an enemy with the knife from mid air. However, if despite all those uses you still want to use the knife for close combat (in which unarmed is much preferable) than you only have to duck after each slash with the knife thereby decreasing your chances of being damaged.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:39 pm

The weapons are only useless when you're still a newb. It should go away if you would practice with the weapons.

elbows

Post by elbows » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for the tips. This is starting to make a little sense now.
Count Roland wrote:if you happen to have a sword or a staff try standing still and holding attack
If I do this against an unarmed enemy, they reverse my attack and disarm me almost 100% of the time (unless I counter-reverse). But for some reason if I tap back or crouch right as I begin my attack, it seems to prevent them from countering. Does that make any sense?

Another question: if I attack someone who also has a sword (or staff), we whack our swords together a couple times, until eventually one of us drops his weapon. Is there any particular technique to this move? So far I've just been clicking furiously, which seems to work OK. :)

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:23 pm

yeah it makes sense, and clicking furiously is the general technique there, but you might be able to bring them up short by countering in the middle of the fight, that is only a might though.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:58 pm

I've generally had better luck just reversing against someone with the same weapon. The attack/block/hit your weapons together thing doesn't seem to work for me, either. In addition, each staff only has a finite number of times you can hit with it before it shatters, so it's worth conserving. A good thing, IMO, since it would be outrageously overpowered if it were too durable.

To keep from getting reversed when you have a weapon, you might try stepping toward an enemy at about a 45 degree angle-- not straight toward them, but to the left or right of them. The "slash" animation for the sword looks really good that way, too. =D

Reykjavik

Post by Reykjavik » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:12 pm

With swords and knives, you can defeat any enemy on any difficulty with relative ease. If you jump over them and flip, they will usually be vulnerable to an assassination. This is slightly harder with a knife, as they will either dodge backwards, and be too far away, or roll forwards and be barely within reach, but with the sword, they will usually stand still.

The knife can be useful against unarmored rabbits, because if you hit them three times in a row, you will use the puncture attack, which is a one hit kill. Throwing the knife will kill most unarmored rabbits in one hit, and keep in mind that you can jump, flip, and throw in midair. For wolves you can throw the knife, and then knock them down and roll across their body and retrieve your knife for the kill.

I find that the best technique for the staff is to either not use them, leg sweep the enemy onto the ground, and smack them repeatedly while they are down.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:19 am

I find staves are most useful when they are not in my possession. Easy to reverse, then go for the beatdown.