The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
taos13

Models editing bug(?)

Post by taos13 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi,

When I 'cut' the rabbit ears I gain that effect
You can see some lines near tree.
http://www.filesonic.com/file/49195327/body.zip
Last edited by taos13 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lotus Wolf

Re: Models editing bug(?)

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:36 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you didn't search at all...?

If you had, you should have found threads that discuss the volatility of the character models. You cannot simply change the characters and get away with it, silly. There's a huge load of elitist shit, that I myself do not even attempt, attached to making new characters. For example, changing the number of vertices, ei; 'cutting' the ears, would require you to make an entire set of new animations.

If it's too embarrassing for you to play as a bunny, then you're as lame as you think bunnies are. :P

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:35 am

Actually, you don't need to edit animations if you edit a character's vertices.

Anyway, if you cut off ears, you'd have to rebuild the skeletons. If you don't do that, you either get a segmentation fault or the thing goes a bit crazy.

The skeletons are the skeletal elements in a list, and for each entry, there's the vertices that are associated with the respective element. So if the ears are only 2 vertices now instead of 89 and you exported that into the Body.solid, the skeleton has to reflect that, of course.

It's all here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5660

taos13

Post by taos13 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Ok I have another problem look and tell me what to do :)
Last edited by taos13 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:31 pm

What

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:55 pm

looks like you just plain messed up the skeleton.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:28 am

taos13 wrote:Ok I have another problem look and tell me what to do :)
Sorry, didn't see the images before because they're on imgur.com and I block that site. You pretty much messed up the skeleton. Attach your .blend file in a .zip archive to a post and I'll check it out.

taos13

Post by taos13 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:20 am

Link in first post :D

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:48 am

I think you just forgot to rename the new skeletons — that is the most common trivial mistake. You have to remember that skeleton manipulation is a merging process, and the original doesn't get destroyed. The new one gets an underscore at the end of the filename (or something like that).

Edit: Next time, please upload a .blend file that actually has the vertex groups you used to generate the skeleton because that's what we're talking about. I can't say what you did wrong otherwise.

In this post's attachment, there's an archive with all stuff working (I think the UV map is wrong, but can't say for sure because I have textures for a different mesh right now). That includes the Blender file with the right vertex groups.

One more edit: The Bodylow.solid and its skeleton are the same as the hi-res versions because I'm too lazy to make a low-res version for your mesh, so you'd have to work on that at some point or take a (negligible) performance hit. I also just copied the base mesh for the morph targets, so that's another polishing bulletpoint you could work on.

HTH
Attachments
body_fixed.zip
(178.91 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

taos13

Post by taos13 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks.
When I change skeleton my model is almost perfect, I have one more problem when rabbits is far from me models returns to normal (orginal). How to solve that problem? Solution must be simple but I don't know anything about modding lugaru. :D

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:35 pm

taos13 wrote:Thanks.
When I change skeleton my model is almost perfect, I have one more problem when rabbits is far from me models returns to normal (orginal). How to solve that problem? Solution must be simple but I don't know anything about modding lugaru. :D
Well, as you can see in the archive I posted above, there's also the mesh "Bodylow.solid" and the skeleton "Basic Figurelow" in there. That mesh and that skeleton are for those far-away meshes. What I did is I just copied the normal mesh and skeleton over the far-away mesh and skeleton; that works, but costs performance. The low resolution mesh and skeleton have less vertices, so they're faster to draw. It's not really an issue nowadays though, since computers and graphics cards are so superfast these times. So you can just copy Body.solid over Bodylow.solid and Basic Figure over Basic Figurelow and you're set.

taos13

Post by taos13 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks its all :)