Lugaru (WinXP): Key mapping issue

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Lugaru (WinXP): Key mapping issue

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:56 am

First of all, thanks for this great game. It not only runs perfectly smooth on my x86 computer under Windows XP, it also is a bunch of fun to play.

When I played the demo, I got sucked in badly and wanted to become an expert in the art of rabbit-hunting and wolf-slicing. Therefore I purchased the game rightaway. It was a smooth and fast process to register and I'm happy with the product.

I'm already a sick killer bunny with incredible knife skills and all. Wolves, beware.

The next step after playing all maps I could find in the game and on the internet as well was of course making maps myself, satisfying me and the rest of the world.

That was the plan.

Then I ran into problems with deleting enemies and objects. The appropriate key for deleting them is not DEL, but Backspace. See posts below.

Now I'm experimenting with the builtin editor, will analyze the results and try to write a Blender plugin for easy Lugaru map editing (read: easy for 3d modeling nerds).

Oh, sorry for my weird english. But I'll guess you'll survive even that :wink:
Last edited by rudel_ic on Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:42 pm

I am glad you are enjoying Lugaru! My first idea is that maybe by delete I meant backspace; could you please try that?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:39 pm

David wrote:I am glad you are enjoying Lugaru! My first idea is that maybe by delete I meant backspace; could you please try that?
That's odd. I have to thank you because Backspace is the right key, but I have to press it very often, 4 to 8 times until an item / enemy gets deleted.. But I guess I can live with that.

Maybe that's an issue on my box.. I've got no unusual software or hardware components, but who knows.

Well, a map editor would be handy. I'm thinking about writing a Blender plugin since there is no editor (other than the game itself).

The height map and a conversion script should do it, right? I'll analyze the maps and try my best.

Thanks for the fast reply :) Keep up the good job.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:05 pm

make the plugin 4 macs too!!!

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:16 pm

rudel_ic wrote: The height map and a conversion script should do it, right? I'll analyze the maps and try my best.
What will you be converting exactly?

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:06 pm

I wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't want to port the plug-in but it sounds like a good idea even if I barely know how to use blender. If possible it would be nice to make a maya plug-in or Cheetah 3D plug-in.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:10 pm

Port the plug-in? Yikes! There's a python interpreter in every Blender! So basically, the question is whether there's a Blender version for the Mac, not whether I port such a plugin or not.
zip wrote: What will you be converting exactly?
Well, the idea is the following:

The plugin reads the heightmap and generates a surface that's flexed like the surface in the game should be.
The plugin lets you drag and drop symbols which represent entities in Lugaru. Each entity has its corresponding properties, they can be adjusted in the well-known GUI of Blender just like you'd think such dialogues should look like. Each entity is a point (with a nice symbol, as I said) with the rotation axes.
The result is a Blender scene with points. The surface may be discarded.
The Blender scene would have to be parsed by a converter script and the corresponding binary content gets generated.
When the converter has done his work, the file gets merged and the map is done.
Now what exactly has to be converted?
Entities(opponents and objects), their properties (names of textures, coords, rotation data, weaponry, color parameters), path splines for the opponents and eventually dialogue content.
Writing the plugin for easy drag-and-drop-editing is not the problem.
The problem is that the corresponding binary data for all map content must be known.
I'm on that at the moment. My idea for an efficient analysis of the corresponding binary data is the following:

1. Generate an empty map (done)
2. Alter positional data of the protagonist, save a new map and analyze the difference (I'm on it)
3. Do the same for all other stuff, meaning object placement, object properties etcpp (Todo)
4. Understand the rules which generate binary map content (Todo)
5. Implement the rules (Todo)
6. When the converter is done, write the script for Blender to alter the GUI and automate the initialisation and saving process of a map generation (Todo)
7. Bughunt (That's going to be the toughest part)

Actually, I don't have a clue whether that will really work yet. I'll post if things look good.

Unfortunately, I've got a life. That means that the whole stuff is done in my free time.

If anyone wants to analyze map generation rules, do it. It's trial-and-error stuff.

What do you need?

a. Lugaru, full version (quite obvious).
b. A diff tool. Something like this will do the job for Windows users. Linux nerds have "diff".
c. A hex editor. Something like that should be good enough for any Windows user. You'd have to alter Hex stuff to verify your rules.
d. Too much time on your hands.

Don't expect too much in the next 2 months. This is not the only thing I do ;)

Lugaruman100

Post by Lugaruman100 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:14 pm

rudel_ic wrote:Port the plug-in? Yikes! There's a python interpreter in every Blender! So basically, the question is whether there's a Blender version for the Mac, not whether I port such a plugin or not.
Don't be so ignorant I have the macintosh version of blender.:roll:

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:01 am

Lugaruman100 wrote:
rudel_ic wrote:Port the plug-in? Yikes! There's a python interpreter in every Blender! So basically, the question is whether there's a Blender version for the Mac, not whether I port such a plugin or not.
Don't be so ignorant I have the macintosh version of blender.:roll:
Ignorant? I don't know what you mean. Why do you tell me that you've got the Macintosh version of Blender? I don't get it.

Anyway, read how Blender and Python cooperate.

And yes, Python is available for the Macintosh.

I think those texts explain the details better than I ever could.

Lugaruman100

Post by Lugaruman100 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:25 am

rudel_ic wrote:Ignorant? I don't know what you mean. Why do you tell me that you've got the Macintosh version of Blender? I don't get it.
Because you made your post sound like that you did not know there was a macintosh version of the program.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:01 am

Lugaruman100 wrote:
rudel_ic wrote:Ignorant? I don't know what you mean. Why do you tell me that you've got the Macintosh version of Blender? I don't get it.
Because you made your post sound like that you did not know there was a macintosh version of the program.
Oh. Okay. It was a misunderstanding.
I never got my hands on Maya. I won't be able to look into that, I guess.
Although it seems to be a cutting-edge program. Maybe a bit oversized for this task ;)
I just realized that it would be smarter to base such a plugin on a format that's interchangeable between a lot of raytracing tools. That is certainly not the case for the .blend standard.
That would make it really easy to write a plugin for any raytracer. I'll take a look into that as well. Somewhen.

This thread has become off-topic. My fault :oops:

Lugaruman100

Post by Lugaruman100 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:49 am

I got my hands on the PLE version and it's great. Like I said in the past,
maya is very easy to use, I like having full control of where your moving faces and vertexs. In blender it makes it harder to move those around, not to metion it's harder to cut faces. I can't seem to find a option in blender that lets me move veticals/faces in X,Y,Z axis.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:42 pm

Lugaruman100 wrote:I can't seem to find a option in blender that lets me move veticals/faces in X,Y,Z axis.
The Ipo curve editor gives you graph-oriented control over the position, rotation, physical data, size etcpp of the selected object in Blender. Easy to use and precise.
Here is a site with video tutorials for Blender. I prefer trial-and-error and books, but most people don't, I guess.
Most of the interface is covered in those videos. Have fun ;)

Edit: How long do I have to wait until I can edit my post? 3 minutes?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:50 pm

rudel_ic wrote:Don't expect too much in the next 2 months.
Correction: Don't expect anything regarding a Blender plugin in the next few months, I've cancelled the project. (If you want to call it a project :D)
It's still possible though, anybody who has understood how it's done should be able to at least figure out what the hex values in map files mean.

Why did I cancel the project? Too much time-consuming; Lugaru itself seems to be good enough for my map design; noone requested whether he/she can participate.

If you try it: Good luck ;)

Edit: The cause for my backspace problem was my new keyboard, it seems. I've plugged in my old one and everything is fine. I forgot to say that.. Oops. Silly me.

The new (cableless) keyboard was a noname brand. Linux didn't have a driver for it. My advice: a. Don't buy noname brand infrared keyboards. b. Make sure your keyboard has Linux modules.

RIP, keyboard.

I gave it back to the shop and the employee grinned and said "Welcome back". I wasn't the first one who had complaints. So why do they sell these things? I'll never buy there again.