Very hard maps, download, unzip, enjoy

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:04 am

Here's a new map! Took me some hours to make, but it's there and working. It's pretty difficult as well, especially because some jump targets are almost not reachable. That may or may not drive you insane.

So - the name is jump :)

Grab it here

Screenies:

Overview. Player starts at the right.

This is the starting point.

This is the most difficult place, a tower. You have to jump from bottom right to the top. It's almost not possible.

So... Who's killing all enemies in this one? Start bragging now :)

Edit: Screenshots are so dark because of the console view. The actual look is much brighter.

Another thing: This map is on rapidshare until it gets merged into the next mappack.
Oh, and it's a free map as always. Do with it whatever comes to your mind.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:23 pm

Great map! I like the jumping around, and the unusual colours.
Say, haven't you set all enemies to speed 1.1 or some such? They move really fast.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:25 pm

I'm glad you like it! Did you get to the last tunnel? Have you killed the three rabbits in it?
There's a hidden sword. Found it? :)

I've modified the speed, can't recall the value though. Yeah, it's faster than usual.

In fact, I always play Lugaru with higher speed. It gets pretty demanding considering the reflexes when they're piling up on you ;)

I don't have a clue how I changed it though and when I did it (I could of course just read how it's done..). Must be 1.5 years ago! I didn't know it ends up in the maps. Well... Choose your own speed if it's not comforting :)

Oh, and if you want to modify stuff or whatever, go ahead. Could be fun putting some hint texts into it for example.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:37 pm

I didn't find any hidden sword. I didn't think it was possible. Where is it?

Also,
rudel wrote:This is the most difficult place, a tower. You have to jump from bottom right to the top. It's almost not possible.
Actually, it's possible to avoid most of the tower, or even to avoid it completely. :P
rudel wrote:So... Who's killing all enemies in this one? Start bragging now :)
*check* :)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:01 pm

You're good. I totally underestimated your ability to see my design idea.

There are basically 2 ways to play this level. You can do it the seemingly straight way by following the obvious path (the line the objects are connected to each other) or you can play it the smart way by jumping diagonally, ignoring the obvious, thinking out of the box and landing precisely.

Your fighting skills are superb, man! Great vids! Fun to watch!

Edit: Oh, you're jumping over the hidden sword in the second video.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:24 pm

If that sword is just lying on the ground, it won't be recorded in the file, though… :?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:28 am

Oh damn, you're right!

I made a straight editing session and when I replayed the level, I never looked for the sword. I simply didn't know that weapons on the floor are discarded when saving.

Well, must be a simple artifact in the video then.

Sorry for the confusion..

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:22 pm

In Lugaru 2 though, I bet that weapons on the ground will be recorded, and you will be able to delete them specifically, instead of just leaving them on the floor, for instance. :P

Surely it wouldn't be that hard to use a simple 2D external editor for map editing in Lugaru 1 instead of internal map editing fused with gameplay in a rather bad way? Ah well… :)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:53 am

3 maps today.

tunnels - A few tunnels you won't get out of.
house2 - Another house, but this one has no openings.
massacre - A little fun map if you want to blow some steam off.

Download here!

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:16 pm

Another one - mountain. Name says it all.
Download there! (Okay, this one doesn't have a common MIME-type. Tell me if you're having problems downloading it or not.)

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:46 pm

'moutain' is great!

Just one thing: perhaps the fighting itself in 'jump', 'tunnels', 'house2', 'mountain' lacks variety (enemies are always 8, by packs of two, immobile, usually with staffs, almost no stealth possible, few different fighting surroundings from a gameplay perspective - etc), which is a pity because the level itself is awesome.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:32 pm

Thanks for your comments!

Well, you're right considering the fighting, I guess.

If you want to change the whole fighting thing, go ahead. There's almost no way you could make it worse :)

Actually, I have no real idea how to make fighting that much different because once they spot you, it's always the same anyway, the staff is the greatest weapon imho and letting you sneak up on enemies is the same as not putting them in there, they'll die rightaway.
few different fighting surroundings from a gameplay perspective
Could you elaborate on that? Is your point that since the theme is always the same in the level, the fighting always results in the same style?

(Probably I'm not true to the topic title anymore - these maps are way easier to beat than my old ones.. Well, so what :P )

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:12 am

Some one want to tell me what makes this Thread sound rude? :lol:

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:44 am

rudel_ic wrote:
few different fighting surroundings from a gameplay perspective
Could you elaborate on that? Is your point that since the theme is always the same in the level, the fighting always results in the same style?
Maybe that was not a good choice of words (second language and all that). All I'm saying is: most of the fighting happens in surroundings which, for actual fighting purposes, amount to either very tight close quarters, or an open flat plain. Perhaps you should mix things up with objects that can be used in the fight, like walls, pits, trees, low climbable boxes, or even other enemies, to keep things fresh. Or even mix things up with other enemies (for example, the player might want to avoid drawing their attention - they might be sleeping etc), and vary enemy number, paths, stats and weaponry, etc... I guess those are the most simple ways to add variety.
rudel_ic wrote:letting you sneak up on enemies is the same as not putting them in there, they'll die rightaway.
I don't really agree. For instance, you can actually spinecrush all enemies in the 'svenfort' map, but it's really difficult.
rudel_ic wrote:the staff is the greatest weapon
On insane staffs are a one-hit kill, so they force you to play really defensively - which is not as fun when there are too many of them imho.

Don't mind my critics. I'm not more qualified than you are. And your levels are awesome anyway. :)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:45 pm

Of course I mind your critics! They are based on experience, after all. It's not mindless blabla, or is it?

In the future, I'll take your thoughts into consideration when making maps.

The old maps will stay the same unless someone else modifies them - which would be a great thing to do since that would bring fresh ideas and other player's experience into them.

In the recent maps, there should be plenty of architectural units left to put in there.

I've had this other idea where a number of mapmakers agree on a general map idea and then the map is passed around, each mapmaker does a little map making and editing until everyone agrees that it's a good map. But I don't see such a community here, so it's probably not the best idea ever.

The good thing about this idea though is that each mapmaker could do what he's best in.

Hold your breath until my next map will be released, it should be more sophisticated.