Very hard maps, download, unzip, enjoy

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
idbeu

Post by idbeu » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:07 pm

Great, a new map! Thanks rudel.

Unfortunatly, I've already beaten it twice. I can probably play it a few more times before I get bored, but I'm going to have to ask you to make the levels a bit harder. :twisted:

Keep up the good work!

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:25 pm

idbeu wrote: Keep up the good work!
I'll do my best.

The next level is "house" (yes, only 1 map today). This level has been updated to make the beginning easier and a bug has been fixed. Besides, I changed my opinion about the map. It's cool. No, hot. Not many people will kill everyone on the map without cheating.

This one is harder for everyone - your computer, your brain, your fingers, the AI, collision detection and the game engine. See below for explanations.

See the mentioned bugs at the end of the post. Though there are several bugs, the map is fun.

As usual, I quote my .zip comment:

Code: Select all

1 Hard Map for Lugaru

house - Where's the bedroom?

I haven't succeeded in this map yet

This map is buggy - the game engine may DIE and not display anything until a restart of the game

Because it took me 5 hours to make it, here it is

Due to the high number and high density of objects, your framerate may be low

There are 8 wolves. Please count your opponents while you kill them to find out if you have really discovered all parts of the level

Made with the WinXP build of Lugaru

2005-09-05

rudel_ic
8 enemies (all wolves), everyone is equipped with a knife except you. Have fun.

Screenshot:

Download here!

Random yadda-yadda:

This map is a proof-of-concept: It's a house (in a way) and it has stairs. And a fireplace :)

Initially, I wanted to build a house without any open parts. I changed the concept because the maximum number of objects is almost reached and because the fireplace looks cooler without a roof.

It should be way too hard to fight 3 wolves at a time for the average player, keep that in mind :D

Some of the problems that occured when I built the map:

1. When I was almost done and added an opponent, the game crashed, 1 hour of work (if you want to call it work) was gone. My fault, saving the map is not really difficult.
2. The more you have built of the "shell", the harder it gets to place pieces because you have less and less space to position yourself and to place objects.
3. Sometimes, pressing "SHIFT+O" when you have a bunny opponent in front of you doesn't result in a wolf opponent - even not after pressing it after 30 times. This problem only occured with brown rabbits when I had it (brown rabbit -> SHIFT+O -> brown rabbit -> SHIFT+O -> brown rabbit -> SHIFT+O -> brown rabbit -> slight step to the left -> SHIFT+O -> brown rabbit -> O -> black rabbit -> SHIFT+O -> brown rabbit -> cigarette -> coffee -> metal music -> SHIFT+O -> brown rabbit -> SHIFT+O -> brown rabbit -> SHIFT+O -> brown rabbit -> bashing head against wall -> SHIFT+O -> brown rabbit -> [...]).
Because of this, making a map full of wolves can be quite frustrating.
4. Slow-Motion is quite useful for precise placement of things while you're in the air.

Resumee: I don't know if I will ever build maze maps again.

Do what you want with it, but keep in mind that there are bugs because of the design of the map.

There are numerous problems:
a. The wolves jump around (The AI freaks out, are they claustrophobic?), somehow manage to trick the collision detection, fall down and die. The problem is that the height is low. Nobody would ever die by falling from that height. Must be some bug.
b. Once I died when a wolf smashed me into a wall, but instead of just lying there, I began to fly higher and higher and higher, accelerating like you wouldn't believe. Then the game crashed.
c. A wolf kicked me into the back (not lethal), and suddenly all textures were gone. Not visible. I thought "Okay, who cares, reload the level", but that didn't work, still no textures. I tried another level, no textures. Then I restarted the game and they were back again.

None of these bugs occur often. The map is playable.

Feel free to post comments, tell me about other bugs and flame the map to death. Thank you :)
Last edited by rudel_ic on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:37 pm

If you aren't happy with it, why release it?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:43 pm

zip wrote:If you aren't happy with it, why release it?
Because the topic says "Very hard maps, download, unzip, enjoy".

The map is very hard (at least in my humble opinion), you can download it, unzip it and enjoying is also possible.

Those bugs occured in 2% of the tests, I tested the maps many many times (maybe 30 or 40 times). So they are not that serious.

Edit: Hehe, 2% is not right. More like 10%. Although the wolves tended to jump-and-die in maybe 30% of the cases (I'm speaking of the trio right at the beginning).

Actually, the map turns out to be way more cool than I first thought. It's very narrow, but nevertheless, the wolves often manage to follow through the staircases. I tested 20 more times now and none of the bugs occured again. It's real fun to slay them down once in a while. And it shows off ragdoll. I witnessed many many brutal bails, did some awesome double-kill combos and it's just fun.

Unfortunately, it's not so easy to "use" the fireplace, if you know what I mean. (Have you found it already?)
Last edited by rudel_ic on Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idbeu

Post by idbeu » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:22 pm

It's hard to beat a single wolf in this environment, much less all 8. Oh my goodness this map is crazy. I think it may be doable with rabbits, but wolfs are just too strong in packs. I may be able to beat it if I had a sword or staff though.

And yea, the wolfs are acting very bizzar in there. Always jumping around.

Also, I was able to escape the compound and run around outside in the snow. Maybe you should make that wall a bit higher, or give me a way back in.

You clearly put a lot of time into this. It just keeps going... If you fix it up in places (give me a weapon!) it could be a very nice map.

Also, please give me a weapon. :)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:31 pm

idbeu wrote:It's hard to beat a single wolf in this environment, much less all 8.
A few minutes ago, I managed to kill 6 of them.
Oh my goodness this map is crazy.
That's why I made it :P
I think it may be doable with rabbits, but wolfs are just too strong in packs.
Use the narrowness. That makes it easier.
I may be able to beat it if I had a sword or staff though.
Yeah, maybe. Cheat if you have to. Read the console guide to find out how. Hehe.
And yea, the wolfs are acting very bizzar in there. Always jumping around.
I guess they don't really realize that they've got ground under their paws unless they are near the protagonist.
Also, I was able to escape the compound and run around outside in the snow. Maybe you should make that wall a bit higher, or give me a way back in.
Do you mean the fireplace? I'll fix that and alter the URL in the presentation post. If you mean another place, please tell me which one. (I know it's not easy to describe places in there, make a screenshot with the map activated)
And I'll add stairs into the fireplace location. But that place won't get closed for different reasons (although it's possible, I was wrong above).
You clearly put a lot of time into this. It just keeps going... If you fix it up in places (give me a weapon!) it could be a very nice map.
There are weapons! You just have to fight for them!
Which places do you want fixed up? I can always add objects. Or you can alter the map and post a link to the new version. This topic is free-for-all, same for my maps.
Also, please give me a weapon. :)
I already did - indirectly. Go get it. You've got 8 opportunities. (You can always cheat, but that's too easy imho)

Edit: Please re-download the map if you've got the initial version (Lugaru.Map.rudel_ic.2005-09-04.zip). A bug has been fixed and the starting point has been changed.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:13 am

You're still not fed up? Go get a doctor. Or get my 2 new maps.

The names are "hunt" and "trap".

Yet another .zip comment:

2 Hard Maps for Lugaru

hunt - They want your head, go get theirs
trap - Too bad they're looking in the wrong direction

I succeeded in both maps

Made with the WinXP built of Lugaru

2005-09-05

rudel_ic 
Many objects + high density + fire = Low framerate

Mixed crowd, all with weapons.

A slight tip for hunt: You won't kill them all rightaway. And the thing in the sky is just decoration ;)
And a slight tip for trap: If you make all the bushes burn, you'll get very low framerates. At least with my specs (posted before in this thread).

Screenshots:

Hunt:

Trap:

Download here!

Comments are appreciated. Do what you want with them.

Edit: Damn this typo "Made with the WinXP built". Won't correct it, too much hassle.
Last edited by rudel_ic on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:58 pm

2 more maps, named "tower" and "bigtower".

Although the names are similar, the maps are not.

Check out my amazing .zip comment:

2 Hard Maps for Lugaru

tower - You found an outpost
bigtower - This doesn't look like an outpost

I succeeded in tower

Made with the WinXP build of Lugaru

2005-09-06

rudel_ic
8 enemies, mixed crowd, mixed weapons.

Screenshots:

Tower:
Click to view!

Bigtower:
Click to view!

Download here!

These maps are of course free, do anything you want with 'em.

Performance should be okay.

I had no low framerates in a few hundred tests. The staircases can get tricky sometimes.

There's one bug:
In "tower", there are 2 floating stones that can "catch" you. If you get between them, just press n to toggle the death animation.
If an opponent gets between them, either kick him out, punch a corpse at him or throw a knife.
Last edited by rudel_ic on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:30 am

A-Maze-(Th)ing!

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:34 am

Dude, you're crazy! (In the best meaning of the word)
So many maps in so little time?
Love for you! ;D

Oh, and levbot? Your mappacks did work for the windows version, I'm just being stupid. >.<
They were really cool!

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:27 pm

epect a lot more coming from me.. i am working on about 20 new maps

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:38 pm

Lugaru ate my map.
Twice.
More on this story as it develops.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:46 pm

levbot wrote:epect a lot more coming from me.. i am working on about 20 new maps
I'm looking forward to it. Your previous ones were fun.
Zaphon wrote: So many maps in so little time?
You don't know how long it took to make 'em. :D

Thanks for the positive feedback. I won't stop making maps, it has become a habit somehow.

Unfortunately, the bugs of the game can get really annoying. The worst one for map-makers is the "Shift-O" bug (mentioned above). If you get a brown rabbit when you wanted to make a wolf, I advise you to delete him with Shift+Backspace (Windows), save the map and restart Lugaru to reset the method buffer which decides the character to change to. It can take 50 times until you finally get a wolf, sometimes the game even crashes. I hope David takes a look at this issue if he's fed up with engine-coding or something.

For the same reason, no map today (at least not before I go to work to code for food). I designed one, but forgot to save it and the game crashed. :evil:

Please report bugs, I'll try to fix them.

If you fixed a bug, post the map here.

I'll make some more tower maps, maybe 2 or 3, they're fun to play because of sick ragdoll bails and they are damn easy to make. Besides, the ones I posted above are too simple in my humble opinion. I'll make at least one which is way more complex.

And I'm planning a castle, but making it from scratch is too much hassle. I'm already sketching, I think the result will be interesting.

Oh, the size for stair rocks is 0.40, just in case someone wants to know.

And you can alter the order of object deletion. If you want to keep an object, but delete objects you made before and after it, just crouch on the object you want to keep (I've mapped crouch to "Ctrl" to avoid deleting opponents accidentially) and press "Backspace" (on Windows systems) to get rid of the other objects. The object won't be deleted. That works with rocks, I haven't tested it with other objects yet. It's very useful for stairs.

Edit: One more thing: If you need hints how to kill every opponent on a map, just ask. I've successed in every map I presented in this thread now.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:05 pm

I've noticed that an object you are standing on won't be deleted, it works with boxes also.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:29 pm

im gonna be busy.. im gonna have to hold on the maps.