additions to the combat system (Lugaru)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:12 am

How about mutant bunny zombies? Controled by the evil necromancer frog of death! You can't kill them, only knock them out, and they will get back up
very soon. ;)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:41 am

Kangarooies :o

.. :roll:

nah... maybe some evil black birds that try to eat out your eyes? venomous snakes? natural disasters? earthworm jim? cave bats? his alterego? something feline? you know... big cats?

toshiro

Post by toshiro » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:20 am

I knew my decision to steal Mifune's name would come to haunt me some time.
I had no idea what the kanji used to write toshiro meant (laziness on my part). I was just awed by the person. So: My apologies if I offended anyone. I will, however, continue using the name as my alter ego for the web.

As for the wave cut technique... I guess it IS rather pointless to implement that. I just thought it'd be fun.

As for combat system additions:
The staff fighting system in Lugaru only uses the 'cutting', or rather, bashing aspects, neglecting the use as a spear. The weapons newspost by David showed there would be bardiches and other polearm weapons, so I'm guessing puncturing will be introduced, too.

Homocidal Ham

Post by Homocidal Ham » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:58 pm

sorry i havent been on for a while,

I think there should be two of "health"

-Standard HP

-Energy

where if your energy runs out you fall unconsious for a 3-4 minute period (when this happedns time speeds up) energy also drastically effects your performance by slowing you down and decreces how powerful your attracks are, and if there is water, it would affect how long you can stay under water

and if your health runs out you die

energy runs out 3 times as fast as health

this would make the combat very realistic

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:40 pm

This sounds a lot like the temp-damage, permanent damage system already in place.

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:06 pm

Yeah, it does, it sounds nearly exactly the same...

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:57 pm

It sounds like a good system, but yeah it does sound like the one David already has in place.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Re: additions to the combat system

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:21 pm

Homocidal Ham wrote:What do you think would make the combat system better?
Broken bones. Pain -> Blur effect. Fear, panic, berserk mode, throwing sand to blind opponents, using opponents when jumping at them to jump again. Different techniques (snake, dragon, phoenix, tiger, mantis stance).
Realistic damage, like in Bushido Blade.
Matrix-like camera effects.

Edit: Oh, and the ability to fight while falling.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:06 pm

Something like stamina might be an add - punch/kick strength, run speed, and damage tolerance all decrease as Turner uses up more calories.
This shouldn't start affecting things as soon as he throws one punch, though - maybe only when he's running on an empty stomach after fighting for prolonged durations (Kinda like a buffer, then a stomach growl, then things slowly start getting bad for the overactive Turner).

Running out of stamina means Turner can't run very fast, attacks weakly, and can't defend himself as well, maybe even tripping over himself occasionally - but nothing as drastic as collapsing from exhaustion.

If you want to use the "doing more increases stats" thing, fine.

Wearing armor and using weapons, depending on their weight values, would increase the stamina consumption - until Turner becomes used to the heavier equipment.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:47 am

heat/cold, thirst, hunger, energy (as ham said) etc. and all that could affect your fighting performance for added realism (also making the game harder :) )

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:22 pm

These added realism aspects should have a toggle, possibly based on the difficulty level selected, ala Metal Gear Solid 3 (Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard... I think there's another one above that...)
Though, it might be more user friendly if they could toggle the added realism on/off and keep the normal fighting difficulty as a seperate option:
"Select Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane;
Select Survival Realism: Off, On, 'Welcome to the Matrix' "

An option for graphical stuff, like blood and dismemberments, should also be kept apart from these, so the ESRB rating can flip between T and M for an increased consumer base.

---

As for more combat additions...
How about collision damage with furniture, walls, fauna/flora? Though, having it a little over-the-top would disrupt the game balance, IMO, forcing a fighting style of "keep far far away from walls and furniture" instead of concentrating on the active enemies, thus bringing the inanimate objects away from the background into the foreground of the player's mind - which would disrupt the suspension of disbelief.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:56 pm

Fournine wrote: An option for graphical stuff, like blood and dismemberments, should also be kept apart from these, so the ESRB rating can flip between T and M for an increased consumer base.
If it includes M content, then it is rated M even if you can disable that content.
Soldier of Fortune had to sell a "tactical" bloodless version, instead of just having a Blood switch in the preferences.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:58 pm

I do think it got annoying when you are going through the air heading towards an enemy put cannot perform a move such as a flying kick or maybe a downward-slashing arc technique with a sword. This is not annoying enough to put me off, but I still thought it worth a mention.

I also think that people should not get their hopes up, because David cannot fit everything into the game. You shouldn't expect miracles of improvement for the next game. Not saying it's not going to be a hell of a lot better, but some people seem to get a bit carried away with stuff, with the complex combo system as an example. The simplicity of the game's controls and attacks with the context-sensitivity system is one of the games most appealing assets, so I wouldn't change that for the world.

I hope I don't get snapped at for saying that.

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:09 pm

I hope you won't, that is a very good comment, however, all threads pertaining towards L2, are going to be hyped up, because that is what you do to games coming out.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:25 pm

another addition is the throwing of all weapons, i'd love to see turnaer hurl a scimitar...
----------
Rip Gulliver