additions to the combat system (Lugaru)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Madfrenzy

Post by Madfrenzy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:16 am

Ive had this idea since i first killed a bunny by kicking it hard enough on a wall... imagine this, you are fighting a bunny/wolf near a wall. your enemy tries to kick you but misses, and is now back faced to you. With a quick move you grab the back of your opponents head, and bash his face on the wall. the body falls to the ground, lifeless. this could be done as a stealth kill too.

LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:41 pm

Grayswandir wrote:After looking at the concept drawing, I got an idea. Using the sword sheath as a weapon. Give Turner the ability to block or stun his enemies with it. If you wanted to make it even more interesting. Make the type of sheath of a sword random. For example, some swords would have wood sheaths, making them kinda crappy to use for blocking, but still able to stun with them, while others, have metal sheaths. Heavier, so Turner swings it slower, but you can block and parry with it...Or even mix it in with hit combos...hehehehe...
Swordstick+parrying cane? :)

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:57 pm

Yes, but you should only be able to get it from the old-fart wolves/evil bunnies you fight.
"GET OFF MY LAWN YOU YOUNG WHIPPER-SNAPPER!!"
"In my day bunnies looked up to their elders!!"
*pulls out sword cane*
"Come here so I can wack off your knees!!!"
*takes a step forward, snapping his back*
"MY SPLEEN!!! AACK!!! ARRGGG!!!"

Seriously though, that's a cool idea.

FoxInABox

Post by FoxInABox » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:17 pm

Nuky wrote:Kangarooies :o
.. :roll:

Nah... maybe some evil black birds that try to eat out your eyes? venomous snakes? natural disasters? earthworm jim? cave bats? his alterego? something feline? you know... big cats?
Think about it, rabbit-kick a venomous snake into a wall, first its head hit the wall and then the rest follows before gravity makes its move.. hehe, funny idea.

Anyway, if there should be snakes then it should have some tall gras as well, a fog of war for things hidden in gras (outside your vision range in gras the enemies fade to transparent), for foes and players, the fog will be get thinner as you get higher above the grass.. but then you'll most likely be spotted as well.

Possible snake types to use: (just ideas)
Constrictors - heads strait for you.. can be killed by close range attacks, but awoid falling over, or it will be all over you.
Cobra - goes towards you and into its attack style, heavier armor or you'll be dead by poison pretty quick, air attaks is the best way to kill it
Rattlesnake - you hear it before you see it, will rattle a little before it smell what you are..

Hawk and owls is some of the natural enemies for rabbits, but a hawk diving from the sky with a dagger in it's claws and try to drop it so it hit you, then misses and does another dive to pick it up to try again untill it get 1-2 kicks dammage or is killed does sound a little too mutch..

stockable items (daggers?)

Danosoarus

Post by Danosoarus » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:41 pm

And if there is Mp in lugaru 2, and so is bullet time, you could make people within a circule of energy slow down instead of taking the JKJA approch and make it so you just speed up
umm, the way I understand how time works, it isnt really possible to have people experiencing time differently unless one of thems going close to light speed. and I dont think that would be very practical.

One of the coolest parts of this game that I wish had been a little bit easier to use was the (I dont know what its called) ragdoll throwing move. It would be cool if there was a system for picking up and using bodies. I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, but I'd really like to see a system where you could kill someone, pick up their body, and fling it at another enemy using some sort of aimer. This could also make for some cool advancements in AI so NPCs get freaked out if they see a dead body. Plus someone mentioned earlier something about throwing limbs, and that got me thinking, it would be awesome if bodies could split up, possibly after throwing them off a tall hill or tower or something. I guess I'm just saying an advance in the gore system would do this game good, if anyone here has played the game WarRock, they made it so the ragdolls leave blood splatters if they fall hard enough.[/quote]

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:04 pm

Ya I've played Warrock, I remember that really cool effect where you stain the ground if you hit it too hard (you barely had to touch the ground and you'd have some massive ground stains) after dying. They have the same effect in Lugaru except that it's a bit more rare because it only happens when they get killed by hitting the ground too hard (usually headfirst, I'm sure you knew that already). All games need a move where you can pick up dead bodies but only a few actually use this effect, so I also think it would be very nice to have a grab and throw button. There are more "hidden features" in Lugaru like having split bodies, that are pretty hard to do in main game, but still possible without having debug mode one. I've actually cut myself in two halves after ragdoll falling from the high cliff edge on level one and then hitting the jutting edge while getting up (confusing to say but it was pretty simple). These are some pretty interesting ideas I've wondered myself, welcome to the Wolfire forums.

crackinthekraken

Brutality

Post by crackinthekraken » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:44 am

I'm a big fan of simple, effective (brutal) attacks. The head-bash is something I really like. Maybe being able to straddle a knocked-down opponent and either bash his face into the ground or (if he's faceup) just trapping his arms and dropping an elbow into his face, UFC style. You could either keep clicking to kill/ko him until he presses shift to reverse/get out of it, or it could be just for one attack.

One major addition to L2 I'd like to see is a health bar.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:32 am

Why healthbar? You don't see healthbars in real-life. (Not talking animals either, but that's not the point).

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:21 am

No, please no health bar!
It would ruin everything :(

crackinthekraken

Post by crackinthekraken » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:48 am

Oh come on, at least a little health indicator so you know how much damage you're doing or taking.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:29 am

At the very absolute least, DO NOT MAKE A LITTLE RED CROSS AND
THEN A NUMBER FROM 1 TO 100 IN THE LOWER LEFT OR RIGHT CORNER!!!
Okay?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:42 am

There's an international health organization that would sue you anyway.

Not kidding here! They didn't do it before, but the red cross is a trademark and will not be tolerated as a health indicator in computer games in the future.

Anyway... We had the whole health bar discussion already, hadn't we?

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 pm

how would a health bar help you anyways. In any case you need to kill your enemey, does ti really help you to know you cna only take X amount of hits before you die.

I vote for no health bar

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:58 pm

bob wrote:how would a health bar help you anyways. In any case you need to kill your enemey, does ti really help you to know you cna only take X amount of hits before you die.

I vote for no health bar
Me too.
It helps by letting you assess risk more accurately, if Ihave 1%hp instead of 50%hp I'm going to play differently. Granted after a while you get a pretty good idea of how much damage you are taking, but it's still nice to know exactly what your status is.

Sectaurs

Post by Sectaurs » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:56 pm

rudel_ic wrote:There's an international health organization that would sue you anyway.

Not kidding here! They didn't do it before, but the red cross is a trademark and will not be tolerated as a health indicator in computer games in the future.

Anyway... We had the whole health bar discussion already, hadn't we?
I think that was just a Canadian organization, and their claims on the 'right' to that symbol don't really pertain to video games, as that symbol was used to indicate hospitols and first aid during wars long before their organization came into being. In fact, that is why they chose that particular symbol.

They are unable to prevent people from using it in historically accurate representations, and this weakens their argument that similar games cannot use it.

Don't fear the death of the red cross in video games... it shall survive!

also... there will be no health bar.