additions to the combat system (Lugaru)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue May 23, 2006 12:40 am

Ya, I think I would just like the tackle move to be easier to pull off more often, the Bunny kick is easier, and it does more damage! I remember the clothes line idea earlier, and I think that it would be a good way to add more options while fighting. The tackle move is sweet, you can take out fleeing enemies quickly and with style (nothing's better than chasing down a scared rabbit and face planting their head to the ground). So I think a cool move could be used when the enemy is facing you head on, some kind of rabbit clothes-line is a nice option. It won't make the fighting more complex because it would be intuitive like everything else. When the opponent is running away, you tackle him, when he's dazed or fighting you, you body slam him.
I just like the fighting moves so much, they were really cool and easy to pull off. And still, people would be really bad when they first played Lugaru, and hella awesome in no time at all (like a week or something, maybe less to be good. But also, it can take months and months to catch up to Pros like Silb). There are moves for stealth, for running, for jumping, for combat, and for fleeing, it makes Lugaru really fun, and it's not mind boggling at all.

In terms of intuity, a Ki-meter would really mess up the game play (I don't know maybe, how exactly do you bind up moves?)

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue May 23, 2006 2:29 pm

From poking to skull-crushing fists......

OttOmancer

Post by OttOmancer » Thu May 25, 2006 2:50 pm

I have a few ideas for Lugaru 2.

This may have been posted but....As far as health indication is concerned, I don't thing a heart beat monitor would exactly 'fit' with the whole lugaru theme. Better just to have, when the player takes damage, for the screen to blur, the color fades and becomes washed-out, and the edges of the screen darken.

It would be nice to see LOTS more weapons. It'd be great to run into a group of wolves and just start swingin' a big ol' 2 handed sword.

Also - as editable as Lugaru already is - i would like to see the editor more flexable/user friendly. Being able to edit the attributes of specific objects and characters would kick ass. (Like have one level where its just a single, ultra big and strong rabbit)

That is all - if any/all of these were mentioned allready....uhh...sorry

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Fri May 26, 2006 12:26 am

Hmm... I'm worried about the level editor. The game is getting so complex, I'm starting to wonder just how the hell that would work. I mean, honestly.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 26, 2006 12:40 am

I don't understand what exactly makes you think that the game will be too complex. Please don't mix up the suggestions of the users with what the actual game will be like ;)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri May 26, 2006 1:02 am

Albab wrote:Hmm... I'm worried about the level editor. The game is getting so complex, I'm starting to wonder just how the hell that would work. I mean, honestly.
Lugaru 2 is going to have a real interface. Check it out: http://static.wolfire.com/legacy/PhoenixUI.jpg

It's in the early stages for now, but the point is, you are going to be able to have palettes, lists, etc. and you will be able to click on objects in the game world and interact with them that way too. It is generations ahead of the current map making process.

lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Fri May 26, 2006 11:08 am

this may sound stupid but do developers ever use their own map-making utilities to make levels in their game?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 26, 2006 11:27 am

What I would like to see would be the integration of more techniques for weapons, like maybe some spinning technique etc. Just something to give it a bit of variety. I acknowledge how the game is supposed to be focused on the non-weapon fighting, and I agree with that completely. It's a martial arts game, so the weapons should be second-choice, but I think a bit of variety and maybe, instead of just the same stuck animation for when Turner is slashing rabbits with a sword (his model turns towards the opponent and slashes in a downward arc), maybe make the animations for slashing a bit looser and less repetitive.

What made me think of this is what that guy said about the two-handed sworded. It reminded me of the dual-bladed lightsaber fighting in Star Wars Jedi Knight : Jedi Academy for PC. The lightsaber fighting in that game is so great, it's so free and quick-paced, while also encompassing a lot of variety so you don't really recognise any one attack animation as being something you have seen your character performing many times beforehand. It has to be one of my favourite games of all time, even though I only got it last week.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sat May 27, 2006 12:55 am

Jeff wrote:
Albab wrote:Hmm... I'm worried about the level editor. The game is getting so complex, I'm starting to wonder just how the hell that would work. I mean, honestly.
Lugaru 2 is going to have a real interface. Check it out: http://www.wolfire.com/PhoenixUI.jpg

It's in the early stages for now, but the point is, you are going to be able to have palettes, lists, etc. and you will be able to click on objects in the game world and interact with them that way too. It is generations ahead of the current map making process.
Ahh. I see.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat May 27, 2006 1:28 am

lpod100 wrote:this may sound stupid but do developers ever use their own map-making utilities to make levels in their game?
For sure. That's pretty much all they do use.

JLrep

Post by JLrep » Sat May 27, 2006 9:56 am

As far as I know, they mostly punish themselves with odd editors that only have a weak GUI and are simply designed to be able to change every variable.

You should read about the development process of Marathon.
A quote from the Marathon Scrapbook:

Greg had to conquer Vulcan [their in-house map editor] long enough to make ten-odd levels for the single player game. The First Law of Vulcan, “Save Early and Often,” gives some idea of Vulcan’s penchant for dropping into a debugger or simply locking up the entire machine. It once crashed so hard that Greg’s computer actually shut down.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat May 27, 2006 10:46 am

sounds about right.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun May 28, 2006 10:14 am

Whoa, that means David is going to be able to design levels really fast and really easily? Alright! That means I'll finally get how to make great levels too, awesome. But really, that's exactly what that editor needed, to be able to use the mouse to help you design things. Nice, this is going to be the awesomest editor ever.

And this really surprised me. Look at that thread, not a single comment about his editor. :P That's uh... sorry David, I knew the update was about the UI and all, I should have posted on that. That UI looks like it's going to be better than anything we've see before, and a whole lot easier for people like us to design with, thanks.

Oh yeah, that thread also had a lot of comments about some of our useless comments. My bad, sorry if any of our posts annoyed you guys, I get real worked up about awesome games like this. I know there's nothing my ideas can contribute, I've just been talking about things because this is just too cool to discuss about.
Arghh, I can't help myself. I gotta post more on these random ideas!

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun May 28, 2006 12:33 pm

Zantalos wrote:That UI looks like it's going to be better than anything we've see before, and a whole lot easier for people like us to design with, thanks.
It's.... a window.
With two buttons...
I'm sure the editor will be good.. but unlikely to revolutionize GUI as we know it.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun May 28, 2006 1:14 pm

What? No way, that was a year ago!
He's made the UI already, that's how he's showing us all this stuff!
He's been able to stack up some crates, grow some trees, create a sit down table scene, and make some really cool water landscapes. And he does that with every single update, reall fast! that UI is so different from other UIs, it's sure to revolutionize the way levels are designed I'm sure of it! :P

Take that marathon quote, that guy must have been so damn confused when he first saw it. It took him a real good look through just to make some ten awesome levels. How many levels did Staffshock make in like less than a month? Freaken 12 :lol: Oh damn this level editor is going to rock.

And I've been trying to create levels on other games as well, they're so damn confusing! The Oblivion editor makes it seem like people don't know what they're doing. All these new add-ons that people make are just setting improvisions (they're hella usefull though, props for them), I think in all, only 3 add-ons actually added extra levels for people to play with.
The only editor's I've ever been able to use were Neverwinter Nights, and Farcry for the Xbox. Farcry (PC), Brothers in Arms, Oblivion, are damn confusing, there's just no way in hell I could imagine people creating levels that way (And those developers create sweet levels, too).