additions to the combat system (Lugaru)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Chainsaw man

Re: additions to the combat system

Post by Chainsaw man » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Healing herbs should be handed in for tiger balm and used to heal bruising damage. while bandages should stop bleeding damage from continuing. Water should recover Blood loss damage. While another variant healing herb could be used in conjunction with a fruit can cure scurvy and another can cure poisoning. In the way of healing, I think there should be a case of pressing maybe H+Shift and turner grabs whatever in his First aid kit and Processed to come away from the movement mode, and instead the mouse becomes a pointer, where players target what wounds they want to heal first, the left and right will bandage and stitch, each must be done with different wounds. There should also be the plain H key for when you suddenly receive a very nasty wound that's profusely bleeding. This gets turner to grab a bandage and hold pressure on it. When out of the mix of melee, turner will then quickly auto bandage that wound up.

Also, Tiger balm should say in the description
wikipedia wrote:The rub does not contain tiger parts.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:18 pm

shikun wrote:i have been playing rune online since it's release. but i'm playing the multiplayer expansionpack Halls of Valhalla (HOV). not very active atm. but i'm a member of one of the oldiest clan :).
I don't have the expansion pack and I dunno where I could get it X_X oh well, heh, not very good at it anyways but it was fun =P

Deepminded

Post by Deepminded » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:59 am

You can still find outlets that sell RUNE, Halls of Valhalla and/or RuneGold (both RUNE and HOV).

I've had both games from the beginning too and was never the best either (dialup and old fogey fingers) But have a heck of alot of fun playing anyway whether I "died" or managed to get a "killing spree" spree going. The MP is more like a Viking Age "Holmganga" (dueling 1v1 or in groups) or the Eddic "Vigrid's Plain" next to Valhalla where the warriors keep in training ("fight, "die" and "Respawn") then go feast until Ragnarok comes.

To bring your health back in RUNE, you can eat fruit (sort of like Idun's Apples) from the trees or where ever found. Eat other food (legs of meat, lizards "as survival food") or drink mugs of mead. Pick up Health Runestones to take in their energy. Pretty simple but effective.

Healing a character is always problematic, especially figuring new ways of doing this without taking away the smoothness of gameplay. In ours, its doing it without getting caught by an AI (in SP) and "die". In MP, it's by another player who takes your head (or arm) and use it against you as a weapon after you respawn.
-----------------------------------------
Laurie the Deepminded
Runegame.com Admin/Goddess

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:47 pm

about Rune: Really? I remember playing the Rune demo a lot... it was fun. We used to use the console to give ourselves admin and do all sorts of fun stuff XD. I also got Rune but none of the servers weren't HoV so I never played it really X_X. I had recently installed (and beaten) Rune after all these years, the CD's still intact =)

In Overgrowth you should be able to stop what you're doing so you can defend yourslef, and even perhaps use stuff you were using as a weapon if possible (like if you're in the middle of drinking some ale or something you should be able to beat the guy with your mug XD)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:08 am

Various things that I'd like to be able to do, or things I'd like to get changed.

Make it possible to attack from a range that's slightly larger than the range where that attack hits. Most attacks shouldn't be counterable at such a distance. Running into the attack will hurt as usual. Some weapons should have attacks that can hit from a long range, but judging the distance wrong will leave you open for the enemy's attack.

Sometimes when I'm sneaking on a high roof/box, and spy an enemy down below me. I want to take careful aim and jump down on him, dealing lots of damage. Haven't been able to do this on purpose in Lugaru, although I did get "death from above" few times when I was evading enemies/being thrown around.
More: silently drop down behind an enemy and attack him before he knows you're there. Haven't been able to do this either.
More: ability to climb up a tree, or at least take a hold of a tree you jumped into. Then wait until an enemy is close, and do the "Death from above" attack as above.
Possible control scheme: holding shift while airborne makes you land safely, but pressing shift just while you are landing makes you land perfectly and silently, letting you ambush enemies. Pressing shift too early/too late while trying the perfect landing makes you stagger or, if it went badly, fall down.

More control over jumps. Sometimes I want to jump on top of that far-away building, sometimes I want to jump near it. Same for enemies: sometimes I want to get close to them fast, sometimes I want to jump on them, sometimes I want to jump above them to confuse them/to get out from the centre of an enemy group.
Possible control scheme: doing the shift-roll in the air lets you change your speed and/or direction.
More: if it looks like you're landing straight on top of an enemy, ability to make a tacke (like from animal run) either automatically or manually.

Situation-spesific evasion animations. Shift+direction is evasion, and on even ground it's performed by rolling away. On uneven ground or when standing on a fence, you instead perform a little jump to the evasion-direction, trying to stay on the same elevation if possible. Example: a fight in the treetops.

Actions that cause noise, or look interesting enough for the enemies to get a better look at. Example: take a rock, then throw it through a bush to the enemy's direction to make him come look at the noise.
More: When sticking a dagger or a sword to the ground (to clean it from blood), an option to press 'q' to leave it stuck there in an upright position. Enemies that see it will come to take it.
More: ability to stick knives into trees in the same way.
More: if they have been alerted to your presence previously, enemies have a very small chance of going to get their friends when they would normally go nearby to inspect it. Even best plans won't always work.
More: enemies will act unpredictably near corpses. They might run towards it, go get help, stay true to their original route, become nervous and randomly stop to look for any motion nearby, etc.

If you use knife to a corpse, you gut it open. The wound bleeds severely, masking other scents in the area. While enemies near the corpse are more attentive, wind direction doesn't matter.

When doing the "clean your weapon from blood" command with no weapons, you instead check the wind direction, e.g. by grabbing some sand and throwing it into the air.

Different options for weapons:
For some weapons like staff, pressing 'e' changes into a stance that makes disarming more difficult but doesn't let you benefit as much from it. Doing this would be very fast.
More: ability to sheathe/unsheathe swords and daggers mid-jump. If the air-time is too short, you take little damage but complete the action.

Dynamic combat against several opponents. An enemy attacks me, I evade the attack and he accidentally hits his friend, who falls down.
More: Two enemies are running towards me. The first one attacks and I perform a successful counter; instead of throwing him over me, I push him back, making them both fall down.
More: Two enemies are attacking me with different attacks. I successfully counter the first attack, and use the move to block the second attack.
More: I attack, but an enemy counters. Instead of throwing me over, he pushes me back towards the attack his friend is making.
More: I make a round-kick, but enemy crouches down and rises up. Instead of pushing me away, he keeps me in place while his friends attack. You can free yourself, but you have to realize that he's trying to hold you in place first and use a different counter.
More: When I round-kick, the kicking leg is changed if there's a wall or an enemy in the other direction. No automatic "if there's anything close by, kick the enemy into it", but "if a right kick makes him hit a tree and a left kick kicks him away from the tree, kick him into a tree".

I'd like to see taking your opponent's weapon when disarming made more rare. Successful counters to weapons could let the counterer move to a more advantageous position (to the countereé's side or even behind him) or make the other person fall down/push him away/stagger him for a moment. Weapon combat shouldn't be a game of "tag, now I'm the swordsman".
More: spesific attack after a spesific counter knocks a weapon from the opponent's hand
More: some disarms that make the weapon fall to the ground or kick them away, denying it from both fighters. For a while, at least.

When you have a knife, possibility of using it to cut a sapling to make a club. Takes time, is very noisy and the freshly-cut tree might even have a distinct smell.

Making some attacks require you to move at a certain speed. No one-step-leg-cannon. There could be a double-kick, just one not as powerful as a proper leg cannon.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:18 am

very nice ideas, I was thinking of going a bit further when you have the knife, and using it to make a spear.

Fetterkey

Post by Fetterkey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:16 pm

Different stances, especially for weapons, that offer different combinations of speed, damage, and ability to be reversed, blocked, or otherwise countered.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:08 pm

I think it's a fine idea, but I wouldn't want it all to become too complicated, neh?
I hope you can agree with me on this.

wojt92

Post by wojt92 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:18 am

Many finnishing moves when in sneaking and behind opponent. That would be awesome (like in manhunt). Or moves with using einvorment around.

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Lugaru was pretty much built on using the environment. (E.G Leg cannon is almost useless unless there is a handy stone.)

I think stealth should be a more open approach. Rather than holding shift and crawling behind enemies, it should have stuff like a way to land quietly unless the fall is too great. (Turner makes a loud thud noise whenever he hits the floor, I know that it's very easy to avoid the thud noise from smaller distances.) hiding in shadows, lockpicking (if they've invented locks in lugaru) etc.

Maybe even having multiple uses for stealth. Sneaking into a building and stealing is one, sneaking behind someone and killing is two, sneaking into a building and planting something (a message or evidence in a framing thing or anything like that) sneaking to avoid waking up a friendly (or not so friendly) character, etc.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:06 pm

@Endoperez

There are already some things with the weapons that are already in the game. I won't ruin your finding them, just know some are there.
Hint: Knife, Backstabbing, and reversals
Last edited by Sandurz on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:07 pm

invertin wrote:Lugaru was pretty much built on using the environment. (E.G Leg cannon is almost useless unless there is a handy stone.)
Its not.Leg cannon does good damage even without a stone

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:43 am

invertin wrote:lockpicking (if they've invented locks in lugaru) etc.
Hmm... You want to know the chainsaw mans secrit to opening a locked medievil door, or do you already know where thats going?

My point being is, because there being soft body physics and stuff, we can expect to see turner picking a lock with a bick rock that broke off after he leg cannoned a guard into a wall... although I think in the new game he will just pick up and throw bodys into doors to open them.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:18 am

I just read something earlier on about healing items, so I just thought that healing items shouldn't heal you fully. For instance, being stabbed in the chest can be treated with some kind of lotion and a bandage, but it won't be healed completely unless you see a doctor of some sort.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:49 am

I like. Docs also have a level of healing. The more rural, the lower the level, meaning the closer you are to town with half your intestines removed, the better off you are.