Insane challenges

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Silb
Master cartographer

Insane challenges

Post by Silb » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:20 am

I suppose most people on this forum have played the game to death, yet I have not been able to locate any thread about technical challenges. Just how do you keep a game alive without those?

So here's my list -

This makes the game even faster, which is good if you know it by heart-
"Vidmaster" style:
- Insane difficulty.
- Always fight bunnies by packs of two or three - this is actually fun.
- When engaging a wolf, be sure to get noticed by a rabbit at the same time. Also quite fun.
- Don't flee.
- Don't use weapons. They're cheap.

Learn wall kicks in one lesson-
Gymnast style:
Challenge 6, begin the level by jumping right in the middle of the blocks. Don't flee.

Learn stealth-
Survival mode :
Simply finish all 14 challenges on Insane without dying?

Learn power-
Survival mode 2 :
Finish all 14 challenges on Insane without dying, without surprising any enemy.

Learn not to smash your screen in frustration-
Survival mode 3 :
Finish all 14 challenges without dying, in Vidmaster style.

Learn speed-
Time trials :
- Finish all challenges on normal difficulty ("Difficult") under 1 minute.
- Now finish all challenges on Insane below 50 seconds :twisted:
- ...40 or less :shock: (I think it is actually possible, albeit perhaps *frustrating*)
- Actually, if anybody has found a way to finish level 11, 12 or 13 below 40 I'm interested (I've updated the wiki for times below 50 for level 12, 13, 14 - not that many people seem to read that remote corner of the web).

Your turn :)

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:37 pm

Many of the early levels can be beaten in under 10 or 20 seconds.
Also you might want to increase the game speed(in config) for Vidmaster.
Nice nod to bungie ^_^

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:14 pm

zip wrote:Many of the early levels can be beaten in under 10 or 20 seconds.
Yes, but the point is to get times below 1 min for the last 4 levels as well, which is a lot more challenging. You usually have to think of new approaches - thus keeping the game interesting after its natural life span. Which is the higher goal. :?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:22 am

Nice, I will try these

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:30 am

A lot of those sound just damn impossible.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:26 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:A lot of those sound just damn impossible.
First time you try the game on insane, you think it's impossible. But then you find new techniques. Same thing here.

Ok, forget level 14 for survival mode 2, and level 13 and 14 for survival mode 3, until someone comes up with a reliable way to leg-cannon wolves into trees...

toshiro

Post by toshiro » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:11 pm

Well...

If you time it right *and* the wolf gets up slowly (doesn't roll but stands up), you can apply the leg-cannon easily. The problem with that approach is the time needed to knock the wolf down and that I haven't found a way yet to influence the way he gets up.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:55 pm

god damn I hope that the combat system dosen't change too much... i would win in like an hour

alpha wolf

Post by alpha wolf » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:57 pm

reply to [Well...

If you time it right *and* the wolf gets up slowly (doesn't roll but stands up), you can apply the leg-cannon easily. The problem with that approach is the time needed to knock the wolf down and that I haven't found a way yet to influence the way he gets up.]

Im pretty new at this so im not sure if im doing it right. Im pretty good at lugaru ang have beaten the last level in under 50 seconds. The trick is to lure a wolf over to a remote area. Sweep his legs. Stand close to him and when he gets up throw a light punch. Light punches dont do much damage but they do make the wolves kinda stop for a second and hold thier chest. Right after the light punch leg cannon him into an object (tree, rock). I always beat the alpha wolf on insane with this technique and it works pretty well because they cant pull a reverse when they are holding their chest. (if you want to do a little extra damage throw a light punch-wait a second-before he recovers throw another light punch then leg cannon him. This is usually an instant K.O. for bunnies.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:10 am

toshiro wrote:Well...

If you time it right *and* the wolf gets up slowly (doesn't roll but stands up), you can apply the leg-cannon easily. The problem with that approach is the time needed to knock the wolf down and that I haven't found a way yet to influence the way he gets up.
I've found that if you immediately backup after you knock him over (not too far or he'll roll) that it'll do a get up instead. You have to watch out and be ready to counter though, sometimes he'll just shred you with his claws as a hello present.

I've also found that doing the leg cannon as soon as the wolf is on you...this requires friggin' good timing...and I mean right on you...best time is when he's about to slap you hard...that you'll do a leg cannon that he won't be able to counter (most of the time...) If you want to get him really good, as soon as you hit him run after him and then, if you can time it...you can get him with another leg cannon as he tries to get up.

This works if you suck at reversing (like me, for example.).

toshiro

Post by toshiro » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:00 pm

alpha wolf wrote:Im pretty new at this so im not sure if im doing it right. Im pretty good at lugaru ang have beaten the last level in under 50 seconds. The trick is to lure a wolf over to a remote area. Sweep his legs. Stand close to him and when he gets up throw a light punch. Light punches dont do much damage but they do make the wolves kinda stop for a second and hold thier chest. Right after the light punch leg cannon him into an object (tree, rock). I always beat the alpha wolf on insane with this technique and it works pretty well because they cant pull a reverse when they are holding their chest. (if you want to do a little extra damage throw a light punch-wait a second-before he recovers throw another light punch then leg cannon him. This is usually an instant K.O. for bunnies.
I found that if I rely on light punches (or any regular technique), there is a chance that the wolf hits me first (legsweep, or something of the like). But I might be wrong and it could be that is just due to my own suckage.

alpha wolf

Post by alpha wolf » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:37 pm

Most of the time when a wolf is running after you and you confront him, the wolf will be faster and you'll end up on the ground. 85% of the time when you sweep the wolf's legs first and stand right next to him as he gets up, you will be the one to get the first hit in. An alternative which I use all the time now is just counter until he throws a light punch. Since you're trying to counter turner will crouch and the wolf won't hit anything. RIGHT AFTER the wolf throws his punch he waits a second before doing something else. Thats your window of opportunity to attack with a light punch and follow up with a leg cannon.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:59 am

alpha wolf wrote:An alternative which I use all the time now is just counter until he throws a light punch. Since you're trying to counter turner will crouch and the wolf won't hit anything. RIGHT AFTER the wolf throws his punch he waits a second before doing something else. Thats your window of opportunity to attack with a light punch and follow up with a leg cannon.
Wow - with this level 14 might be consistently finishable without spinecrushing or throwing corpses. It may be hard to impale the wolfie on a tree if you only have a split second to aim, though.

By the way, alpha wolf, I gather that you've finished level 14 under 50 seconds with your technique, i.e. without spinecrushing? Impressive!
*hands out level 14 vidmaster medal*

alpha wolf

Post by alpha wolf » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:39 pm

Cool, thanks. I really didnt know you could use spinecrusher on a wolf though. :oops:

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:48 pm

You can sneak attack wolves, but it involves jumping and landing right behind them, I also discovered (for myself, anyway) that you can do an aerial kick (death from above) on a rabbit (I don't know about wolves though, they'd probably smell you after that) and they won't actually discover you, thus allowing you to "sneak" attack them

Basically, there is no rule saying wolves cannot be sneak-attacked, there IS however, a rule saying that wolves have a good sense of smell :wink:

P.S Speaking of wolves, I just discovered the other day that the reason I did the opposite of "first wolf I meet kicks my bottom like there is no tomorrow" was because he was a slow lone wolf :(

I changed my profile due to that, then I decided that it would be best to remove all that location stuff…