Texture modding

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
True Sorrow

Texture modding

Post by True Sorrow » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:09 am

I'm trying to change some of the textures (wolfbloodfur.png) and I need to know what things I need to think about. Does it have to be 256 colours? Specific size? All of that. Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm a modeller, but I've found no way to open the .solid files. Any decompilers or anything around?

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:13 pm

Models: Use the search feature!

Textures: I don't really know.. have we really mentioned colours, size etc?
We just edit don't we? I don't know. I just open in photoshop, change what I want and save...

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:49 pm

The size has to be the same otherwise the UV mapping will get messed up.
Colors.. 32bit, but don't try transparency.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:06 pm

only some files use alpha layers, including the knife. the size (as already mentioned) messes up the UV mapping. just use the exact same format of the texture you want to change.

as for .solids, people have been able to modify them slightly, but not enough to actually make anthing. there is no way to import any other 3D model files into the game, or edit the existing ones signifigantly. you can, however, swap certian .solids with eachother and get interesting results (try replacing the staff with a knife model)

its aways nice to see new people try to come in and add a whole new aspect to the game, read TWEAKING TRICKS for a compilation of all the knowledge on modding so far.

also, if you are a modeler, maybe you can try to crack the enigmatic .solids yourself, and design a decompiler for us all!

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:20 am

levbot wrote:also, if you are a modeler, maybe you can try to crack the enigmatic .solids yourself, and design a decompiler for us all!
With Davids permission of course.

True Sorrow

Post by True Sorrow » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:29 am

Right, but when I modified "Wolfbloodfur.png", the game started crashing whenever the texture was used. I didn't even touch it in terms of formats.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:58 pm

wolfbloodfur is a very touchy file, i do not reccomend trying to alter it. go for fur3, that's the best way to start.