Lugaru 2 should be a MMORPG

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Deck_52
spelenk iz hurd

Re: Lugaru 2 should be a MMORPG

Post by Deck_52 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:20 pm

personally i dont think making lugaru a MMORPG whould do it good i think its gr8 how it is so...if it aint broken dont fix it.

But...
Zaerion wrote:a persistent mulitplayer world filled with homicidal bunnies

is quite tempting.....

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:01 pm

We are talking about an L2 MMORPG, me belives..

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:03 pm

And who said we weren't?

Anyway, I'm not for the idea. Making Lugaru 2 an MMORPG would ruin the concept of the game. It wouldn't work. I'd give that idea a 0/10.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:10 am

Say, Zaerion, do you play Clan Lord? I know of a Zaerion in Clan Lord, In there I am, or was, or will be (again), known as Zinks in Clan Lord :)

neonbagpipe

Post by neonbagpipe » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:05 am

a true feat MMOness would be an MMO that gets you dosen't get you fired and gets you laid

in all honestly if it were set up kind of like Counter Strike (not with guns) like thing where you play not as turner but a standard soldier Bunny and your team has to work together against another team,

but that would be like after the Turner saga that wouldn't be for Lugaru 2

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:10 am

i agree with neonbagpipe's idea for the counterstrike similiar multiplayer. of course with Lugaru's current players it probably wont have enough people on at all times to have many games going on, but that wouldnt be the end of the world. The people who play lugaru make a better group of people than huge games

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:06 pm

bob wrote:of course with Lugaru's current players it probably wont have enough people on at all times to have many games going on
Those of us who are not in an American time zone might have some trouble.
*wonders how many people Crill3 could find in his time zone* :P

Ovaltine
Over-enthusiastic zoo patron

Post by Ovaltine » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:51 am

Silb wrote:Truly awesome to think about. A realistic world with only a limited number of good equipment. And no rules!
Anarchy at its best. Some people would try to form communities that claim certain lands (especially near food/iron/... productions). No NPC except some raiding wolves that would encourage the players to try to stand together sometimes to oppose some resistance.

...even if it is technically possible (doubt MMO action is), we'll most certainly never see it :cry:
Pardon?!

Food and iron production? Go play World of Warcraft or something. Lugaru is kick ass for it's simplicity and straight forward game-motive.

Multiplayer is a great idea, but just player vs player combat. The only fun thing I could imagine in a mmorpeg would be the ability to have lots of players kick dead corpes all in the same direction at an enemy. After that, it would be a lag-orgy of fur, bots, and the inevitable majority of people who want to be a "sniper".

I know there are no guns in Lugaru, but I promise you that if it went massive multiplayer, someone would figure out a way to be a sniper and no one would ever fight again.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:14 am

Silb wrote:I don't think it was a serious proposition.
:P

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:36 pm

Maybe this has wandered off from the original post. What he was saying (In my mind) was an ongoing singleplayer game. For any one who hasn't played Freelancer, it was a huge open universe. There were hundreds of worlds and stations to land on, that existed in the multiple solar systems which comprised up the 5 different galaxies. The whole game was huge and the single player mode didn't even require you to cover all the places you would pass by during quest missions (Im not sure if it was even possible to visit every place in the game).

The game had a multiplayer in it aswell. You would expect it to be able work as a MMORPG but, it didn't. All it mainly did was create a single player game that ran on every server. All the quests were taken out so the only way to earn money was by trading goods or by completing the randomly generated "jobs" many people at each locaion would give you (Their were an infinite supply of jobs). It wasn't that big of a deal to get the best ship, people would just teamplay with each other for fun against the computer instead (in some cases, each other).

The same thing could be done with Lugaru. People could sign in, mess around, make some screen shots, kill some baddies, everything they would do in single player, without the actual storyline. You didn't need a whole mass of players for it to work either, a server could have maybe only four people, maybe even just two people. I'm not saying that it should just be a MMORPG, (if you would call it that) it would still have all the other multiplayer game types, the co-op mode, as this may be called, would just be one of them.

As for the whole sniper thing, In all games I've played their is diversity. So what if a few choose to be ranged instead of close quarters? The game would easily be balanced to have both, even more kinds of playing styles if they wanted.

Ovaltine
Over-enthusiastic zoo patron

Post by Ovaltine » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:47 am

Zantalos wrote:Maybe this has wandered off from the original post. What he was saying (In my mind) was an ongoing singleplayer game. For any one who hasn't played Freelancer, it was a huge open universe. There were hundreds of worlds and stations to land on, that existed in the multiple solar systems which comprised up the 5 different galaxies. The whole game was huge and the single player mode didn't even require you to cover all the places you would pass by during quest missions (Im not sure if it was even possible to visit every place in the game).

The game had a multiplayer in it aswell. You would expect it to be able work as a MMORPG but, it didn't. All it mainly did was create a single player game that ran on every server. All the quests were taken out so the only way to earn money was by trading goods or by completing the randomly generated "jobs" many people at each locaion would give you (Their were an infinite supply of jobs). It wasn't that big of a deal to get the best ship, people would just teamplay with each other for fun against the computer instead (in some cases, each other).

The same thing could be done with Lugaru. People could sign in, mess around, make some screen shots, kill some baddies, everything they would do in single player, without the actual storyline. You didn't need a whole mass of players for it to work either, a server could have maybe only four people, maybe even just two people. I'm not saying that it should just be a MMORPG, (if you would call it that) it would still have all the other multiplayer game types, the co-op mode, as this may be called, would just be one of them.

As for the whole sniper thing, In all games I've played their is diversity. So what if a few choose to be ranged instead of close quarters? The game would easily be balanced to have both, even more kinds of playing styles if they wanted.
You make a valid point on everything else. Of course, there is the fact that, as someone else pointed out, Dave is not great at the whole internet thing. Now he's one incredible fellow, that's text-book! But asking for a MMORPG out of him is a bit much me thinks.

I still dissagree with the enboldened sniper point, however. An example of people's lack of diversity in gameplay can be seen in the forum topic "Lugaru RP!..." (http://wolfire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=867).

4 out of 7 people selected the team "wanderer" for their charector, and one of them put "unknown" for description which is pretty much the same idea. It's a just this mentality that everyone has where we all want to be that shady charector in the backround who kills without being seen and is admired for their humblness. I myself prefer to be an attention , which is no better, mind you; but that's another topic.

In the long run, it would only mean that everyone in their right mind would check the little box next to "throwing knives" in the list of prohibited weapons when hosting a game, thus eliminating an entire element of Lugaru.

Of course, you can still snipe with dead corpses :twisted:

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:04 pm

David can do anything he wants. True, at this point in time, he does not know a huge amount about networking, but give him literally 24 hours and he will have devoured and understood entire books about network programming. I don't think you guys understand how smart he is. When he's not busy with homework and crap (he is double majoring in computer science and cognitive science, and minoring in psycology) he reads an entire novel before going to bed.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:40 pm

Busy with .. crap? Ewwww.

Network programming is not such a big deal that you'd have to be a genius to get the concepts.

The big deal is optimizing and failproofing the algorithms, there are not so many books that teach you that. You need experience for that ;) And brains do not generate experience without action.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Oh my god are you serious? I knew David was a genius but this kind of thing just sounds impossible. I have no doubt that David is everything you say he is, I'm just shocked that he exists in such a humble attitude. I want to ask about everything he did just in highschool but, I know that's going completely off topic (should be a whole forum to discus the entire team of Lugaru 2). I think David has had plenty of experiences with optimization and algorithims so, I'm not sure we'll have to worry about that.

Finally, of course people would choose wanderer as a starting class, however, as soon as some one pointed out the lack of diversity, nobody chose that class anymore (ya I know, just one person). In a more developed game, with more options that actually effected which way you played, people will deffinitely be more diverse than just sniping. Experts and novices will easilly be able to dodge most ranged attacks with a proper dodge and roll key, and an item such as a tower shield could prevent any other range attack if dodging is not possible. Again, nobody can win Ro-Sham-Bo just by throwing out 'rock' each time, there's always a counter.