Lugaru 2 should be a MMORPG

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Zaerion

Lugaru 2 should be a MMORPG

Post by Zaerion » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:40 am

Wouldn't it be cool to have a persistent mulitplayer world filled with homicidal bunnies?

Think about it... Forget levels and experience, just make everyone the same health and ability and then let them get weapons and armor. It'd be awesome.

-Death to nematocysts!

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:35 am

Truly awesome to think about. A realistic world with only a limited number of good equipment. And no rules!
Anarchy at its best. Some people would try to form communities that claim certain lands (especially near food/iron/... productions). No NPC except some raiding wolves that would encourage the players to try to stand together sometimes to oppose some resistance.

...even if it is technically possible (doubt MMO action is), we'll most certainly never see it :cry:

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:55 am

noooo! MMORPGs just mock those with bad internet connections and often are pricy. also, david isn't good at internet stuff.

lugaru should maybe haave online deathmatches where you can play as your character with youm items, but let the actual plot stay in the single player world.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:01 am

Me agrees with levbot.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:06 am

Why do people seem to think that every game would be better if it were an MMORPG?

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:05 pm

zip wrote:Why do people seem to think that every game would be better if it were an MMORPG?
Because "MMO" leaves a lot of room for imagination, even if the actual game is usually very disappointing.

I don't think it was a serious proposition.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:17 pm

Lugaru 2 will have multiplayer support... It will definitely not be an MMORPG though.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:48 pm

i pity all of you who want lugaru to be an MMORPG. you must have no life since MMORPGs tend to take way to much time and you normally can't choose exactly when you play since you are working with other people. MMORPG are for people who don't want to do anything else with their time. Some random deathmatch type playing will be fun, but no more than that. Maybe in a way like how counter-strike and other similiar games (there are tons) work in multiplayer

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:59 pm

bob wrote:MMORPG are for people who don't want to do anything else with their time.
I don't get what's so special about that. Isn't that the case with every game?

Edit: Besides, if you are playing a game while you originally want to do something else, you're in big trouble.

Eric
Support Ninja Master

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:42 pm

I am trying to say that with MMORPG you normally have to play at certain times so you can work with your guild versus other games that you have no obligation to others and can play at any time. That is my personal vendeta against MMORPGs. They simply make it too hard to play whenever you feel like it and make it hard not to play at other times when you may prefer another activity.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:19 pm

Goin' onto an MMORPG is a lifestyle choice - you're welcome to your opinion, but if you're trying to create converts, you might as well argue why wearing red shirts would be better than green.

As for Lugaru as an MMORPG, there are too many technical difficulties, I would speculate, that would prevent such a thing:
Since Lugaru has a heavy basis in fast-paced close-combat fighting, connection speeds probably wouldn't be able to do hit detection very well over a large network like for MMORPGs fast enough to make the split-second difference that happens in single-player. Perhaps if the area was more confined, say, to a LAN or city area, it might work; however, that provides the difficulty of recruiting enough players to justify setting up a server for the area.
Multiplayer on a limited basis would be more technically feasible (although I myself have doubts even on this).

I think what's really wanted would be a more liberated RPG that gives a sense of control over your direction in the game, and the ability to just go exploring across a vast landscape. I'd like to see Lugaru 2 as a non-linear RPG, a real freeform versus the more linear plots. Or perhaps something akin to "Fable" where there's a main linear plot, and many optional subplots.

-Fournine

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:25 am

well, multiplayer (over net or lan) would be nice, but as far as I know, I don't think lugaru 2 as mmorpg would be the best idea ever... atleast not with the current stuff.

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Lugaru 2 will have multiplayer support...
Hooray! I think thats the first official word that we've heard, that isn't something like "maybe".

pyros soul

Post by pyros soul » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:39 pm

It would be really cool for Lugaru 2 to be a MMORPG, but levbot is right.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:23 pm

I think we'll see enough problems with connection speeds in multiplayer alone without having to deal with a persistent MMO world.