Obligatory Name Explanation Thread

Anything else
Armored Wolf

Obligatory Name Explanation Thread

Post by Armored Wolf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Topic name says all.

My name was the first name that popped into my head after finishing Lugaru and coming here to see what's next. So I signed up and made it. Later, I asked John to remove the underscore, but he passed on the request to Jeff, who did it, so now I have no underscore.

There.
Last edited by Armored Wolf on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2ostra

Re: Explain The Reason For Your Name

Post by h2ostra » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:25 pm

it's kind of a play on my last name.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Ages ago, when I heard about this online game called RuneScape and it seemed awesome even though my English was rather poor, I tried to come up with a name that means nothing.

Endo is Greek, and means "inner" the same way exo means "outer".
Perez is a common name in some parts of the world.
Pereo is a latin verb that means to die or perish. One of it's conjugations is Pereas.

At least it isn't Killer818181! :mrgreen:

blood-shard
Location: in a house in a heartbeat 28 miles away 28 days later

Post by blood-shard » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Well my name is rather lame, there was realy no reason that i named my self blood-shard (i mean seriously thats just stupid and a lame name) wait now that i think about it , a few years back i think i made an account called Shardik (After richard adams book Shardik) but my email password and forum password was lost so i couldent retrieve it and so i gues i ended up as one of the persons with the lamest name around here ? xD

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Hey, my name's from Richard Adams, too-- it's the seagull that they rescue in Watership Down, he comes back to help them fight the big General rabbit.
When I signed up it was the only name I could remember from the book other than Bigwig and Fiver.

blood-shard
Location: in a house in a heartbeat 28 miles away 28 days later

Post by blood-shard » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:32 pm

kehaar wrote:Hey, my name's from Richard Adams, too-- it's the seagull that they rescue in Watership Down, he comes back to help them fight the big General rabbit.
When I signed up it was the only name I could remember from the book other than Bigwig and Fiver.
I love all Richards books ^^

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Blood-shard isn't a lame name. It's not great, but it's not as awful as say "Armored_Wolf".

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:44 pm

My account that I used to use (and sometimes still do use) for Yahoo! chat and Youtube was l2enegades_Of_Funk or l2enegadesOfFunk. This was because the name "Renegades_Of_Funk" was taken, but the name still provoked queries such as "Why didn't you just use an R?" and "What are twelve enegades of funk?"

On here, I wanted to modify it to make it relevant to Lugaru, but I also like the idea of being a renegade. =]

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Its actually my nickname.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:04 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:My account that I used to use (and sometimes still do use) for Yahoo! chat and Youtube was l2enegades_Of_Funk or l2enegadesOfFunk. This was because the name "Renegades_Of_Funk" was taken, but the name still provoked queries such as "Why didn't you just use an R?" and "What are twelve enegades of funk?"

On here, I wanted to modify it to make it relevant to Lugaru, but I also like the idea of being a renegade. =]
I thought your name was just another name inspired on the spur of the moment after finishing Lugaru. However, it suits you.
Richie Rabbit wrote:Its actually my nickname.
Your name is Richie Rabbit? Rabbit is your last name? :shock:

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:05 pm

xD yep lol

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Also, a quick search on Youtube does a lot to tell you about the origins of certain names. I always wondered what "tokage" was, but then I did a quick search on Google in the form of "define:tokage", which lead me to a Wikipedia page for Usagi Yojimbo. "Tokage" on Wikipedia redirecting me to "Usagi Yojimbo"? Coincidence?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:32 pm

'nuff said. Ragdollsoft was my first real forum, and after registering there I used my same screenname in the Wolfire, Data Realms, and Toribash communities since I knew people from all three sites through RDS; figured I should keep consistent :P

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Ren, actually, I never read or watched Usagi Yojimbo. My name is not related to that comic and I have no idea why Tokage redirects to it on the English wikipedia. So you are way off on that.

Tokage is the Japanese word for lizard. Back in the old days, when LAN parties weren't LAN parties, but null modem parties consisting of two computers exchanging data over LapLink with speeds measured in baud, I had to pick my first screen name. My friends at the time went for animal names(one used eagle) so I picked an animal to represent me, too. Of course, in German at the time. The name stuck and I still use it in various translations and spelling variations. I am the consistent type.

cameleopard42

Re: Obligatory Name Explanation Thread

Post by cameleopard42 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:31 pm

~
Last edited by cameleopard42 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.