Obligatory Name Explanation Thread

Anything else
Fournine
.hacker

Re: Obligatory Name Explanation Thread

Post by Fournine » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Freshman year of high school, I was enrolled in Spanish - as the prospective Japanese class wasn't chartered due to a lack of sign-ups. During the course of that year, I ended up in one of those "project workgroups" I imagine we all have been in and despised, and the consensus was to use AIM to finish the project.
I didn't have AIM, and had to create a screen name - I picked variations of the Spanish word for "help" and "helping," spelling forwards and backwards and such, but all were taken and the registration system was suggesting versions with numbers in them. I despise numbers in screen names, so I opted to spell out the numbers it gave me instead.
The AIM account was abandoned shortly after use, I enrolled in Japanese the year after, but I took the spelled-out numbers for use in alternative screen names - including Neverwinter Nights, which I was playing actively online when David and I were next-door neighbors in the summer dorms at Stanford. Once David declared he was making a forum, I signed up and used the only active screen name I had at the time.

Fun facts about 49:
49 is a square number, and the digits that comprise it are square numbers.
Multiply 4 with 9 and 49, and you get a number which is the square of 42.
1/49 is a repeating decimal with a period of 42, and can be expressed as a sum of the powers of 2. [1]

Element 49 is Indium, and bars of the metal - when bent - emit a high-pitched scream.
49 was the codename for plutonium-239 during the Manhattan Project.

The 49th parallel is the border between the US and Canada.

The number of days and nights Siddhartha Gautama spent meditating as a holy man was 49.

Uberpwn_w00t

Post by Uberpwn_w00t » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:55 pm

I started playing Sauerbraten under the alias 'Uberpwn'. I joined the 'w00t' clan. I added the clan tag to my name. I became Uberpwn-w00t. I use it for everything now.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:04 pm

One of my fav news broadcasters had a last name of Sanders (don't ask me why I have a fav broadcaster, I just liked the way he talked), and that didn't look cool enough, so Sandurz it was. Most of my aliases online are Sandurz20. And NO, I DIDN'T GET IT FROM SPACE BALLS.

kehaar

Re: Explain The Reason For Your Name

Post by kehaar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Richie Rabbit wrote:Its actually my nickname.
Awesome avatar, RR. :lol: How do you do animations on here?

And tokage, it just shows my age/west-coastness that I assumed it was a reference to smoking weed. :roll: --and the avatar colors and that you're a science guy. All the chemists I've ever known are big "expirementers" with the chemicals.
Last edited by kehaar on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Well, they DO rule.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:51 pm

As a side-note, my XBox Live gamertag is DogzOnFire. I don't know why, it just sounded cool to me. It was either DogzOnFire or NinjazOnFire, and DogzOnFire just sounded cooler.
tokage wrote:Ren, actually, I never read or watched Usagi Yojimbo. My name is not related to that comic and I have no idea why Tokage redirects to it on the English wikipedia. So you are way off on that.
Oh my, this is a very strange and confusing coincidence, considering Usagi is probably the forum's most legendary member.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Mine was one of those, "oh crap I have to think of a name", that happened maybe 8 or so years ago. I've always been a proponent of sticking with a single name/avatar on all forums, so this's what I've been using. I've been transferring to GuyNoir slowly, so if you see either, chances are it's probably me.
Fournine wrote:*Snip*
I always assumed it had something to do with the periodic table. That fluorine was taken, so you used fournine instead. :lol:
Last edited by TheBigCheese on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:11 pm

kehaar wrote:All the chemists I've ever known are big "expirementers" with the chemicals.
I'm a chemist, and the only substance I've used outside of prescriptions is ethanol.
Now, I will admit to familiarizing myself with every possible way to synthesize various energetic materials - black powder, guncotton, cordite, to name a few - but that's because of my paranoid instincts to be ready in case civilization collapses or I'm sent back in time where such knowledge would be extremely useful.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Fournine wrote: Now, I will admit to familiarizing myself with every possible way to synthesize various energetic materials - black powder, guncotton, cordite, to name a few - but that's because of my paranoid instincts to be ready in case civilization collapses or I'm sent back in time where such knowledge would be extremely useful.
Plus, it's just fun. You can admit it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:48 pm

kehaar wrote:And tokage, it just shows my age/west-coastness that I assumed it was a reference to smoking weed.
The thought occurred to me too, but then I realised tokage doesn't seem like the type. I don't mean he doesn't seem like the type to have fun, don't misinterpret me.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 am

There was already a name explanation thread somewhere.

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:32 am

Lotus Wolf wrote:There was already a name explanation thread somewhere.
While true, it was swept away down the streams, never to be seen again. Let's keep it that way.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:03 am

Fournine wrote:
kehaar wrote:All the chemists I've ever known are big "expirementers" with the chemicals.
I'm a chemist, and the only substance I've used outside of prescriptions is ethanol.
Now, I will admit to familiarizing myself with every possible way to synthesize various energetic materials - black powder, guncotton, cordite, to name a few - but that's because of my paranoid instincts to be ready in case civilization collapses or I'm sent back in time where such knowledge would be extremely useful.
heh heh. Ethanol is one of the funnest discoveries. And so are the energetic compounds... although mixing the two has led to trouble on a few occasions. :lol:

Fittingly enough, most of those same chemists had stories about getting turned on to chemistry when they were kids by a teacher who blew stuff up. A golfball sized lump of sodium in a puddle of water is pretty attention grabbing... woohoo! Now they're all professors or work for the government.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:23 am

I have the idea I've seen one of these threads before...
Oh wait, people just said that.

Oh well.
My name's pretty simple.
My overall nickname is Glun. I played Lugaru, thus it warped into Glabbit.
This was ages ago. Occasionally I wish I could change it to my most-used 'Glunnator' for consistency's sake, but apart from not having that option, remaining with the name Glabbit allows me to permit myself a delicious extra dollop of silliness.

Oh, and Usagi Yojimbo is epic.
I've only ever read one book, but I love the story and style truly.
Tokage, huh... I never made that link before.
Wark!

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:42 am

need i really explain??