Some questions..

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
CX gamer

Some questions..

Post by CX gamer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:23 pm

In the near future, you will have a complete game... I would like to ask a few ethic questions about this...
  1. If you ever get confronted by the choice of making money, or making a game that people love. Which one would you choose?
  2. Will casual and hardcore players be forced together or can they play on separate servers?
  3. When one particular weapon is overpowered, and everyone seems to use it, would you patch it?
  4. Will it only only ONLY been melee?
  5. How big are those weekly alpha's? (I have a download limit of only 45 Gb)
Thank you in advance,

CX

zamzx zik

Re: Some questions..

Post by zamzx zik » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:54 pm

the weekly alphas are about 550mb each at the moment

CX gamer

Post by CX gamer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 am

:shock:... That's more then I hoped...
But thank you for your reply... :)

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:49 am

and it's not only melee, there are ranged weapons such as bows and throwing knives too

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:05 am

m3nace wrote:and it's not only melee, there are ranged weapons such as bows and throwing knives too
There will be; there are not any weapons at this point.

CX gamer

Post by CX gamer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:21 am

Okay thanks for the reply, 3 more to go...
The first question is the most important one for me though, I've been betrayed by Infinity Ward and I'm not taking any risks again... :P

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:55 am

Well no one can really speak for the devs (which is why I didn't reply to that question at first) but since they haven't replied yet, I'll give you my 2 cents; There's no way the developers at Wolfire, unless they get corrupted by the allure of quiznos, would choose money over making games people love.

You can see this by their close involvement in the community, their support of user-made mods, how they are taking the time needed to make readily-useable tools, and by the level of support they offer to anyone who asks. They're awesome, and if you read any of the topics that ask for the developers help, you can see this firsthand.

tokage

Post by tokage » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:07 am

Well, the first question actually is pretty weird. How can you make a lot of money, if the people don't buy the game, because they don't love it? If you don't like the product or what the company does, don't buy it. In capitalism that is the only power you have. Furthermore, if you were betrayed in that regard before, why do you ask a question that only makes sense with an honest answer?

A question, that would make more sense is: If you had the choice between making a lot of money or creating a game that you love, which one would you choose?
And that question is pretty much answered by the fact that Wolfire games exists and the Wolfire members don't work for big companies and earn a steady salary, but instead make the game they want as an indie developer. Some background in that regard.. If you are not convinced, you should follow their blog and the forum some more and judge for yourself, if they are worth your trust. They have mine.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:35 pm

I think it's more like we want to make a game we love, which hopefully other people love, which hopefully will let us make money and continue making games we love.

Regarding multiplayer, it is too early to talk about specifics. We are not really aiming to make a hardcore free for all multiplayer: co-op is the priority, but it would be cool to have player versus player as well.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:13 pm

m3nace wrote:and it's not only melee, there are ranged weapons such as bows and throwing knives too
I don't recall bows being confirmed.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Count Roland wrote:I don't recall bows being confirmed.
Neither do I, but I think a blog post about dog weapons mentioned spears being throwable.

Raneman

Post by Raneman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 am

Just buy it, man.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Jeff wrote:We are not really aiming to make a hardcore free for all multiplayer: co-op is the priority, but it would be cool to have player versus player as well.
Co-op! Sweet! :D

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Freshbite wrote:
Jeff wrote:We are not really aiming to make a hardcore free for all multiplayer: co-op is the priority, but it would be cool to have player versus player as well.
Co-op! Sweet! :D
Cooperating gameplay would finally allow us to get revenge for all the times we tried to perform a reversal on the enemies, and the second opponent came and knocked the daylights out of us. Now one of us can perform a reversal on them while the other attacks them in the middle. Cooperation will most definitely be a vast improvement over Lugaru.

galvindane

Post by galvindane » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:29 am

Hello,
I am not sure about that because I did not think about that properly.... 8)