Heavy Rain...

Anything else
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Heavy Rain...

Post by Blorx » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Gah, just played for friggin 4 hours. Best game I've played in ages.

I know a lot of people thought Indigo Prophecy was flawed, but geez, Heavy Rain is amazing. I'm not even sure I'm halfway through the game yet. In any case, I could care less, I'm having a ton of fun. I'm still waiting to see who the Origami Killer is!

Oh, not to mention, I think it's the only game to ever provide something to do during installation onto the PS3. It had a little piece of paper with the markings for folding it and you could make your own origami thing from the game. I folded it sideways though, so the beak and tail are bloodstained instead of the wings. :lol:

But yeah, I seriously recommend it and I wanna hear any opinions from those who have played. :D

Sandurz

Re: Heavy Rain...

Post by Sandurz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:00 pm

The controls look so vague...

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:32 pm

It plays like Indigo Prophecy, meaning it's more interactive fiction than game.

The layout pretty much works in this fashion: Look around with the left stick, walk forward with R2 (turn with left stick), use right stick for interactions based on the symbol that pops up, etc, etc.

The action scenes are a series of button presses during a cinematic.

It's not the gameplay that you play the game for. It's the insane story. :lol:

Did I mention it's up for awards for most realistic graphics? Yeah, they're amazing. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the eyes were real.

EDIT: Here's a great article on it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:23 pm

You seem like the won't-take-no-for-an-answer fanatical type. The game looks pretty cool, I doubt it's going to "revolutionise" gaming though.

That article doesn't seem very comprehensive, either. He's very vague. What does this revolution entail? Also, he used "eluded" when he was trying to use "alluded".

This guy seems like a whore for hyperbolising the intellectual integrity of storytelling games like Heavy Rain compared to the apparent mental degradation provided by action games like Halo. These are his thoughts, not mine. I don't agree with him, and think he's overdramatising things completely. If his word were law, there would be no Lugaru. Lugaru's strongest point was hardly its story.

For this reason, I think that the article is pretty insubstantial. It's just a lot of overreaction and projection of outlandish opinions as fact. He's taking it as a given that story is the most important element of games. I'm not sure how he can base an article on that presumption, considering that it is but one of many elements needed to make a truly good game.

TadMod

Post by TadMod » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Renegade, he even said it was (and I quote) "more interactive fiction than game". You have some serious ego issues if you need to take them out in this kind of thread...

Anyway, OT:
Blorx, I played it at a friends house (I wasn't even aware it was out yet, apparently it came out today... not sure how he got his hands on a copy early...) and I was absolutely amazed by what I was playing. The controls are clunky at first, but you sort of get used to them as it goes on. I felt that some scenes were MUCH more realistic than others, which made it seem a little "uncanny-valley"ish because of the inconsistency. Story-wise, it's a tad too dark for my tastes, but I can understand the appeal. I felt so awkward when playing the father who lost his kid, the voice-acting and animation is top-notch. I can't say that I can fully form an opinion on the game as I only played about 2 hours of it, but so far it looks like a serious winner!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:58 pm

TadMod wrote:Renegade, he even said it was (and I quote) "more interactive fiction than game". You have some serious ego issues if you need to take them out in this kind of thread...
What relevance does that have to me talking about the article? I wasn't referring to what Blorx said. Other than the very first line about him seeming like the won't-take-no-for-an-answer fanatical type...and how exactly does the fact that he said it was "more interactive fiction than game" refute that?

lol straw man argument.

Anyway, I thought what Blorx said about the game was okay, if extremely overzealous in his affinity for the game. It seemed a bit biased, but I'd be a tad (tad, get it?) biased if I was talking about games I love too, like Mass Effect 2.

However, the article was making the game into something it's not. Think it's a good game? Cool. Don't make it out to be Jesus though.

You have some serious issues if you have to project "issues" onto someone else because of their opinions on a game. Come on, man, just let it out. I think it's the purple font bringing up anger and frustration. It seems to have that effect. If you have unresolved anger about me, please send me a PM and we can have a heart-to-heart, y'know, as BFF's.

TadMod

Post by TadMod » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
TadMod wrote:Renegade, he even said it was (and I quote) "more interactive fiction than game". You have some serious ego issues if you need to take them out in this kind of thread...
What relevance does that have to me talking about the article? I wasn't referring to what Blorx said. Other than the very first line about him seeming like the won't-take-no-for-an-answer fanatical type...and how exactly does the fact that he said it was "more interactive fiction than game" refute that?

lol straw man argument.

You have some serious issues if you have to project "issues" onto someone else because of their opinions on a game. Come on, man, just let it out.
If you weren't refering to what Blorx said, then you must've been refering to what Sandurz said, which, you obviously weren't. You just took a cheap-shot at Blorx because you don't like his opinion... and guess what, you didn't even pose an alternate opinion. Well Done! I'm not the one providing a straw man argument, you are. You completely misquote Blorx and ignore the parts of his posts which might prove you wrong in order to prove how much of a shiny turd your posts are. If he "seems like the won't-take-no-for-an-answer fanatical type" then so be it, you've already stated that his opinion wont be changed, so why try?

No, I projected issues onto you because you DIDN'T provide an opinion on the game, in fact, I could safely bet you still haven't played it ;)

EDIT: You edited your post 4 times, am I that good that I have that effect on trolls? :wink:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:28 pm

1. Was referring to the article Blorx posted, not to anything Blorx or Sandurz themselves said. Are you really this simple? It's not a hard concept. I already said "article".

2. Where did I misquote him? Or are you taking things which I said about the article and claiming I was quoting Blorx? You really are confusing.

3. I edited my post because I either kept thinking of new things to add to it, or was going back to the article to confirm something before adding it to my post. Do you get off on the amount of times different people edit their posts? Good job.

4. Here, I'll re-post my original post with helpful markers for you. I'll even colour them in so you can have an even easier time understanding! ^_^

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:31 pm

Repost:

In reference to Blorx: You seem like the won't-take-no-for-an-answer fanatical type.

In reference to the article Blorx posted: The game looks pretty cool, I doubt it's going to "revolutionise" gaming though.

That article doesn't seem very comprehensive, either. He's very vague. What does this revolution entail? Also, he used "eluded" when he was trying to use "alluded".

This guy seems like a whore for hyperbolising the intellectual integrity of storytelling games like Heavy Rain compared to the apparent mental degradation provided by action games like Halo. These are his thoughts, not mine. I don't agree with him, and think he's overdramatising things completely. If his word were law, there would be no Lugaru. Lugaru's strongest point was hardly its story.

For this reason, I think that the article is pretty insubstantial. It's just a lot of overreaction and projection of outlandish opinions as fact. He's taking it as a given that story is the most important element of games. I'm not sure how he can base an article on that presumption, considering that it is but one of many elements needed to make a truly good game.

There. Was that easier? Poor guy. Next time, don't let the contempt which you seem to feel for me blind your better judgement. Or are you normally this half-witted?

TadMod

Post by TadMod » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:1. Was referring to the article Blorx posted, not to anything Blorx or Sandurz themselves said. Are you really this simple? It's not a hard concept. I already said "article".

2. Where did I misquote him? Or are you taking things which I said about the article and claiming I was quoting Blorx? You really are confusing.

3. I edited my post because I either kept thinking of new things to add to it, or was going back to the article to confirm something before adding it to my post. Do you get off on the amount of times different people edit their posts? Good job.

4. Here, I'll re-post my original post with helpful markers for you. I'll even colour them in so you can have an even easier time understanding! ^_^
1: I looked back at Blorx's post and now understand what you were arguing (just so you know, I read the post BEFORE he edited it), which is true, and I was wrong. I can see how you're going to hold this against me for the next 50 years and I don't mind, I missed his edit, so be it. However, you still used second person, speaking directly to Blorx "You seem like the won't-take-no-for-an-answer fanatical type.", which is unfair, as he did not write the article, merely posing his own point of view.

2: I believed you were talking in reference to Blorx's post, and hence thought you misquoted him to say that Heavy Rain would "revolutionise" the gaming industry.

3: Or, you didn't do it right the first 3 times, all of which I read. And yes, I find it incredibly sexually appeasing to know how many times a post was modified, similar to your fetish for being a dickhead without reason.

4: Thanks for that, it made me see my error. In reference to:
"There. Was that easier? Poor guy. Next time, don't let the contempt which you seem to feel for me blind your better judgement. Or are you normally this half-witted?"
I don't think you understand human emotion properly, I don't hate you, I don't like you, I don't care about you. I don't know you.

It depends what you consider half-witted? Getting a scholarship for a university course? Scoring in the top 10% of the country in the ATARs? If so, then yes, I'm half-witted.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Ahahahaha! Owned. No, not just owned, PWNED.

Ren can be an ass sometimes (um, most of the time), I'll give you that, but at least he's a clever ass. You just sound like a tard.

TadMod

Post by TadMod » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Sandurz wrote:Ahahahaha! Owned. No, not just owned, PWNED.

Ren can be an ass sometimes (um, most of the time), I'll give you that, but at least he's a clever ass. You just sound like a tard.
A tard? Now you've gone and hurt my feelings, I'm going to go in the corner and slit my wrists over what you said.

But seriously, suck up a little more to Ren, perhaps some of his cleverness will rub off, not likely, but possible.

OT:
Blorx, have you done the apartment fight scene yet? It's epic, seriously!

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 pm

I just finished the game. The ending I had scared the shit out of me. I seriously thought the killer was going to get them all...

OH AND THE KILLER! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! IT ALL MAKES SENSE BUT I'M SO PISSED I TRUSTED HIM!

Oh and the killer was the only character that died in mine. Even the hooker lived. xD

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:34 pm

God I want this game. I really really have been wanting to buy a PS3 just so I can play all of its amazing exclusives that all seem to be coming out lately. Not going to be getting paid until spring starts though... I played the demo for it at a friends and it was amazing. Apparently during the fight scene in the apartment I did one thing different and my buddy kept going "Woah that didn't happen to me. Awesome!" The whole time. I ended up having like a 2 minute long fight instead. The character even had different cuts and bruises. It seems like a giant game. I. Will. Play. It.

TadMod

Post by TadMod » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:40 pm

Blorx wrote:I just finished the game. The ending I had scared the shit out of me. I seriously thought the killer was going to get them all...

OH AND THE KILLER! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! IT ALL MAKES SENSE BUT I'M SO PISSED I TRUSTED HIM!

Oh and the killer was the only character that died in mine. Even the hooker lived. xD
WHO IS IT?!?!?!?!?!

Does the killer change depending on how you play, or is it set?