Freshbite

Re: Errm..your favourite music?

Post by Freshbite » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:22 pm

All the way.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm not sure how. Black metal and death metal bands often play together. I'll locate the poster.

Edit: Here:

OH. And hardstyle trance. =D

Comes from my love of watching Melbourne Shuffle videos. Like this:

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:06 am

*was listening to Vivaldi and Chopin whilst reading Terry Pratchett last night*
>>
<<
I have no place in this thread.

(Oh shi—)

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:

I completely neglected the fact that they are both from that area. Around here, though it would be relatively strange for an atmospheric or folk black metal band to tour with a grindcore band. It would be much more likely for them to be on tour with a Pelican type band, or, especially some other folky band than any grind band, unless they were on the same label. For a festival or local show, though, there's nothing too weird about it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Well that's not necessarily true. Obviously bands usually tour or play with bands which play the same music, but sometimes bands just tour together because they get along and things like that, regardless of the narrow specifications of their musical genre.

This girl won a Brit award for being the person expected to make it big in 2010. I think it's right. Her name is Ellie Goulding:

Also, I really need to display more Minus The Bear, or Menos El Oso, as it were. This next song is outstanding. Their standout album, for me, is their debut Highly Refined Pirates, although they had a couple of good EP's prior to it. This is rom Highly Refined Pirates:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Bump for great justice. I bet no one can argue that this is awesome. Especially with Henry Winkler at 2:34.

Venatir

Post by Venatir » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:08 pm

the video is a bit weird (awesomely weird)
but the music if freakin amazing

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:49 pm

A band I've listened to a lot and for a long time but who have undergone a resurgence in my music plays over the past month or so are Holding Onto Hope. Not a particularly popular band by any means but I can't rate them highly enough. I think they deserve a lot more popularity than they are getting at the moment.

For one, they are a part of the whole post-hardcore scene, but do not strike me as a band with the same stagnant sound as the rest of the genre do. For one, they seem to have a more experimental approach to hardcore music. Nothing they do sounds strictly like something I've heard before, which is a good thing to be able to say about a band in this genre, since you can say it for about 1% at most (caution: bullshit random made-up statistic detected).

Second of all, the band has a message that supports hope and love and all that good stuff and, although that sounds cheesy in text format, when you hear their music and the way they present this message with such conviction and sincerity, you'll be amazed. But also, they present it with what, at times, may seem like aggression, but rather to me seems to be something which stems with their devotion to their music and their message.

I know bands provide people with schticks all the time to entice people who might be in a certain situation or will relate to it or feel connected to the music, but often times it's more synthetic than connected or genuine. I understand why this happens a lot. Bands often start off with direction and purpose and then get washed into the mixed up world of veteran musicians where you can't seem to remember what it is you started.

I hope this doesn't happen to Holding Onto Hope because, although they are a deeply religious band and this is completely against what I believe, their belief in God doesn't come up in their music explicity, and they are never the preachy Christian metalcore bands you've seen too many times, although there are a few Christian metalcore bands I do listen to. Holding Onto Hope's message is, as the band name suggests, struggling and hoping and trying to find a purpose in life. They're offering support through music and a release from the troubles people face in their everyday lives. I can just feel this through their music. I wish I could see them live.

They are touring Europe in April. They will be touring many countries like Germany, Holland, France, Poland, Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Slovakia, Hungary and England. They will be coming to the UK but, unfortunately, not Ireland. If I want to see them, I'll probably have to travel over, and alone because I don't know any friends who are into this style of music and my girlfriend definitely isn't into the heavier stuff, especially nothing with shouted vocals.

Also, as a side-note, their EP "Of The Sea" is available on this site here for as much as you want to pay or as little as you want to pay. You can download it for free if you want. This is simply because, as of yet, they're definitely not in it for the money alone. That's not to say they don't value money too, it's just to say that for them they value more people knowing and sharing their music, and being able to keep playing.

I really hope someone checks them out and replies to this post, because the only reason I posted this is because I really want someone to check them out and love them as much as I do. I think if you like rock or metal and you don't listen to this you'll be missing out on something which really might stick with you. Anyway, here's some music by them.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 am

More noisy ambient stuff... (just the first band)

Pyramids with Nadja. I cannot get enough of this album lately. I'm not quite sure what about it is so enticing, but it is simply incredible, and quite touching (specifically the track "Another War")

It can be streamed in it's entirety here:
http://pyramidswithnadja.com/

Another great band I recently got into is Ocean (not to be confused with the German post-metal band The Ocean). I am not incredibly well versed in the subject, but from what experience I have, this is funeral doom metal at its finest. It gets off a little slow (well, the whole thing is pretty slow), but when it gets into the swing, it is relentlessly pounding. It's a four part video (36 minute song), so I'll just embed the first part, and link the last three:

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E77pduK05wk
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAfeIOk1vyw
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGaXINPOo1A

and one more:
Daughters. Noisy post-hardcore/mathcore with weird ("crackhead") vocals. Their new album is pretty solid, in my opinion. It's pretty crazy stuff:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:43 pm

And no feedback on the big lengthy post...I don't know why I bother. Maybe I should just go to a music forum.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:And no feedback on the big lengthy post...I don't know why I bother. Maybe I should just go to a music forum.
Eh, not really my thing. I didn't like the vocals that much at all, and the instrumental wasn't enough to make me endure them. I was expecting them to be a bit more breakdown-oriented, though, and I was relieved that they weren't abusive in that manner.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 am

That is sufficient enough feedback. I thank you. Now I can sleep.

Spartan X
please can i have a title soon?

Post by Spartan X » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:15 pm

My taste in music varies more than an interracial 10some. For example, I like Jack Johnson, but also like Slipknot, AFI, and the Repetative Ramones. And I like hollywood undead,met em, hugged em, left with the cheesiest grin in the world.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:33 pm

Spartan X wrote:My taste in music varies more than an interracial 10some. For example, I like Jack Johnson, but also like Slipknot, AFI, and the Repetative Ramones. And I like hollywood undead,met em, hugged em, left with the cheesiest grin in the world.
I like Pig Destroyer and Sigur Rós, and I don't even think that's too weird.

Pig Destroyer:

Sigur Rós:

No offense, I'm just not sure I'd say the leap from Jack Johnson to Slipknot is that huge.