Possible Lugaru multiplayer types

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:09 am

i like some of David's ideas...Ninja almost sounds like Tenchu...trying to sneak in to assassinate people...also, could you maybe make a WWII level? the whole continent would be the same, just the people's clothes and stuff would change...I found that that would be interesting...Also, Ben, too many people have bugged him about Lugaru MP...if they get it, it won't be mentioned besides for bug reports, comments, questions, etc. Lastly, David, if you ever need help with Net code, I've got minor experience from trying to get "The Mana World" to run in Panther...Nayr knows that it's a b*tch trying to work with libxml, but, it's useable all the more, I got it to partially work...I ended up missing one header...

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:11 am

World War II? Are you serious?

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:57 am

Jeff wrote:World War II? Are you serious?
Why would he not?
I think it sounds like a good idea for a mod or something.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:01 am

Blorx wrote:Lastly, David, if you ever need help with Net code, I've got minor experience from trying to get "The Mana World" to run in Panther.
Did you ever even see the netcode during your port?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:06 am

Crill3 wrote:
Jeff wrote:World War II? Are you serious?
Why would he not?
I think it sounds like a good idea for a mod or something.
Lugaru is an action-adventure RPG in a fantasy setting, not a modern war simulator... You can mod all you want, but I can guarantee you that there will be no nazis in the official Lugaru 2 release.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:34 am

@Jeff: I still say it would be funny...imagine Turner running around with a Thompson...

@zip: Yeah, I ran through all of the code, just looking for ways to make it easier to port

ben

Post by ben » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:24 pm

David wrote:I don't have much experience with netcode aside from Lightning's Shadow, but the only way to get new skills is to try new things.
If you intend to try I'm sure that would make many people happy. I found Lightning's Shadow's networking abilities to be acceptable but I'm sure Phoenix's net code would have to be far more complicated. I wish you goodluck and encourage you to expand your horizons Here is an interesting link concerning Halo 2's net code. It may be of no use but it is interesting. http://www.stuffo.com/halo-network1.htm

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:31 pm

how does david expect to be the next Doom 3 or UT-04 creator (please dont start a which-game-is-better argument here) without net code?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:47 pm

a) Lugaru 2 will most likely have netcode.

b) Lugaru 2 is not intended to be a multiplayer oriented game like UT. It is not intended to be the next big first person shooter. Again, Lugaru 2 is an RPG.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:01 pm

nbut the easter egg cannon sounds like so much fun!

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:41 am

I like Davids ideas pretty well.
Though I have never looked at Lugaru as a multiplayer game, which would feel weird.

Hey, by the way.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:15 pm

Village War: Starts out with two teams controlling villages a fair distance from another. Starts out with a couple of guards, and about a dozen "villager" NPC's who go out to a gold mine near the village but a distance outside it, protecting these NPC's ensures that the enemy can't pick off your teams collectors and more gold. More gold you have, the more guards there are, Maybe even getting a tower or two with archer(s) in them and once you have 5000-9000 gold your teams guard group up, march out towards the enemy base and (try to) kill of every and all enemy players, guards, and collectors.
Note: Maybe a live system for the players, three lives and the fourth time you die, your dead until the end of the game.
Just a thought for a possible multiplayer mode of play.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:32 am

Sounds like ninja and prospector combined.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:21 am

hmmm... what about a NPC Beat-Up mode where everybody have to run thru the city and beat up as many NPC's as they can within a given timelimmit, while they can do dirty tricks to eachother to prevent them to get as many Beat-Ups as you to? XD

....stupid.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:54 am

Define "dirty tricks" :P