Renegade_Turner Schools the Wolfire Forums on Semantics

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Assaultman67

Re: Disgusted

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:25 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:I'm sorry, you're doing that thing again where the definition you have picked for the words to suit your arguments is the only correct version of the words in your eyes. You seem to lack the understanding.
I would understand that if I wasn't the one that suggested "That practically makes you a god"

By your definition, you can be immortal, yet still die (whatever, fine)
By your definition, you can be worshiped and not be a god (sure ... whatever)

But by my definition, you could be considered a god if you are worshiped and that is backed up by the dictionary that i linked to ...

so how can you say that I've got the wrong meaning for the word "god" when I'm the first one to use it? :roll: :lol:
Renegade_Turner wrote:
Assaultman69 wrote:
har har .. that took wits ... way to negate the seriousness of your argument with petty insults :roll: ...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:28 am

Assaultman67 wrote:har har .. that took wits ... way to negate the seriousness of your argument with petty insults :roll: ...
What petty insults? :?
Assaultman67 wrote:so how can you say that I've got the wrong meaning for the word "god" when I'm the first one to use it?
Did I fall asleep and wake up in an age where "I said it first, therefore my version is the only correct version" is a valid argument?

Anyway, yes, let me explain it for you, much more slowly and carefully this time.

I said I used to be mortal, hence implying I was immortal. Now, since it was me who used "mortal", it is my definition for it, which is found in the dictionary, which does not concern deities in any way shape or form. Simply the state of eternal life.

Now, I said that you should worship me. I used the word "worship", so it is the definition I was using which attaches to it. That definition did not concern deities either.

Then, you come along, first of all taking my version of the word "worship", and attaching "god" to it.

Upon receiving adequate evidence that was not the intended usage of the word, you instead cited the word "immortal", and attached "god" to it.

Upon receiving adequate evidence that this also was not the intended usage of the word, you instead denied altogether that my meanings existed.

This is a tactic presumably based on the fact that, having been backed so far into a corner, and having dug so far down, that it would be illogical to stop backing into the corner or digging now.

Assaultman67 wrote:By your definition, you can be immortal, yet still die (whatever, fine)
If you're talking about the Highlander reference, then it is AN Immortal. Proper noun.

If you're talking about the jellyfish, I said it is theoretically possible for a life form to be biologically immortal in the same way it is theoretically possible for there to be a giant hole in space.

I was simply providing other meanings of the words to display to you that there is not always one set definition for a word. This message seems to not have gotten through to you. I'm wondering if I'm crazy and reality is being warped somehow. To me it seems like I'm explaining this so carefully that a 10-year-old child could follow my meaning. However, you seem impervious to it. I must be hallucinating, maybe I'm crazy.

Assaultman67 wrote:By your definition, you can be worshiped and not be a god (sure ... whatever)
Yes, you can, please consult a dictionary. Perhaps this time it will actually help you, the first 5 times seem to have failed.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote:har har .. that took wits ... way to negate the seriousness of your argument with petty insults :roll: ...
What petty insults? :?
69? Probably a typo then ...
Renegade_Turner wrote:... Yes, you can, please consult a dictionary. Perhaps this time it will actually help you, the first 5 times seem to have failed.
I already have.

Edit: Grr, damn imageshack wasn't working for me ... and every other image hosting site sucks or requires a login :cry:

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:36 pm

What I wanted you to understand, Ren, was that a discussion about wether or not you are a God or immortal would be better off in the Random forum rather than in the Wolfire forum and in a thread of it's own rather than inside someone else's. It has nothing do to with Wolfire, and it has nothing to do with Armored's complaints about Wolfire team's unsatisfying (according to him) video tour post frequency.
Armored Wolf wrote:EDIT: This is no longer about the video tour and is now about my homelessness, Freshbite's avatar, and mostly my anti-fan club.
EDIT 2: Apparently this is now about Renegade_Turner's immortality and my failure to leave the forums.
He actually had to notify people about that in the original post, since the main argument of the thread has been solved and the thread is now walking in a completely different direction.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:09 am

Assaultman67 wrote:I already have.

Edit: Grr, damn imageshack wasn't working for me ... and every other image hosting site sucks or requires a login :cry:
That's a different definition to what I was using. Are you actually so dimwitted? I can't believe you can't comprehend how comprehensively you have been proved wrong.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:That's a different definition to what I was using.
But isn't that exactly what you were berating him about, using a definition that only YOU are using?
I mean, if you think about it, God has a different definition to different people, I'm sure your definition of God is much different from my own.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Assaultman67 wrote:I already have.

That's a different definition to what I was using. Are you actually so dimwitted? I can't believe you can't comprehend how comprehensively you have been proved wrong.
Which would be true IF IF you were the one who said "god" first ... but since i was the one ... we have to go by my definition of god and i meant the definition circled in red in the image above ...

It like i said "torch" and mean't a burning torch and you dismissing my argument because you think im using the definition that says its a "flashlight" :wink:

Its a bit of a strawman ...

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:52 pm

This is getting pretty ridiculous. Just saying.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Sandurz wrote:
But isn't that exactly what you were berating him about, using a definition that only YOU are using?
I mean, if you think about it, God has a different definition to different people, I'm sure your definition of God is much different from my own.
If you think about, I wasn't saying his definition of God was wrong. Where did you read this?

I was saying my definitions of immortal and worship did not fit with his inference that someone worshipping me and me being immortal were inconsistent with my lack of religious beliefs.

How are people not comprehending this simple concept?

Assaultman67 wrote:Which would be true IF IF you were the one who said "god" first ... but since i was the one ... we have to go by my definition of god and i meant the definition circled in red in the image above ...

It like i said "torch" and mean't a burning torch and you dismissing my argument because you think im using the definition that says its a "flashlight" :wink:

Its a bit of a strawman ...
And no, it wasn't a straw man fallacy. You were the one who made a straw man statement in the first place, that saying I didn't believe in gods and therefore couldn't be a god, when I wasn't claiming to be one. EASY!
h2ostra wrote:This is getting pretty ridiculous. Just saying.
It was ridiculous from the moment he tried to counter my suggestions that I was immortal and that people should worship me with arguments based on reality.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Hmm, Ren didn't further continue our discussion.
I guess that leaves my standpoint as solid.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Freshbite wrote:Hmm, Ren didn't further continue our discussion.
I guess that leaves my standpoint as solid.
Not necessarily, I just didn't deem it as very interesting and wasn't too eager to counter it.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Sandurz wrote:
If you think about, I wasn't saying his definition of God was wrong. Where did you read this?

I was saying my definitions of immortal and worship did not fit with his inference that someone worshipping me and me being immortal were inconsistent with my lack of religious beliefs.

How are people not comprehending this simple concept?
That's actually not what I was saying at all XD

I'm talking about THIS.
Renegade_Turner wrote:I'm sorry, you're doing that thing again where the definition you have picked for the words to suit your arguments is the only correct version of the words in your eyes. You seem to lack the understanding.

I'm not arguing with you, just pointing out a little hypocrisy. But, no no, of course, Ren is always right and will find SOME way out of this, probably in such a way that will make me look stupid and lower me in everyones eyes. :roll:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Hypocrisy would be if I was saying that my definitions of the words were the only correct ones, and failing to acknowledge other definitions of said words.

Now, please, if you would be so kind, could you point out where that has occurred if you're so adamant that I was being hypocritical in that way?

Unless you've realised, since then, the error which is ingrained in your every word, and wish to acknowledge such errors.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:22 pm

LOL my prediction was true. I'm going to argue this one last time then I'm out ^_^

Hypocrisy would be if you did the same exact thing as what you told him not to do. (It was implied that you did) You told him not to use the definition of a word that was only used by him.
So either A. That's hypocritical in itself, as you both were using a different definition, and what you tell him can be applied to you, or B. You just told him that you were using a different definition.

Haha, wow. I can't believe I still argue with trolls.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Not necessarily, I just didn't deem it as very interesting and wasn't too eager to counter it.
My work here is done.