Renegade_Turner Schools the Wolfire Forums on Semantics

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Renegade_Turner Schools the Wolfire Forums on Semantics

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:54 am

It wasn't a matter of fooling anyone, it was a matter of who wanted me to be wrong, despite the fact that I wasn't. Envy will get you nowhere, you could just worship me instead guys.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:08 pm

Ah, but Ren, do you know the different between Syntactic and Semantic equivalence? Logical Consequence? Contingency, Satisfiability and Validity? Induction and Recursion?
We've got so much to discuss! Tautologies, Models and anti-Models, Predicates and Propositions, Quantificators, variable Arity, Resolution methods, Davis and Putman and Tables which aren't tables!

Where to begin :o

tokage

Post by tokage » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:It wasn't a matter of fooling anyone, it was a matter of who wanted me to be wrong, despite the fact that I wasn't. Envy will get you nowhere, you could just worship me instead guys.
Still not enough worship after another thread title with your name in it? You are getting greedy.
But guess that is what is to be expected from a lawyer.

Still, Assaultman, I don't know how you get the idea of claiming this as a win. The act of claiming as a win itself already made it a lose (you can ask Fournine about that). Anyway, your miserable attempt at a joke wasn't funny in itself and badly executed.
Let me educate you. You seem to still haven't understood why Ren owned you right from the start. Ren is in fact immortal and worshipped. Immortal beside the literal meaning of being not able to die can also mean being so famous, that the memories of said person will live on long after the persons death. Achilles for example falls in this category of immortals (they build a whole holywood movie around him, which could also be seen as kind of worship).
Now this is a forum so the "death" of a member could be understood as inactivity. If you ask me the chances that people will continue remember Ren and reference him even after he becomes inactive is pretty high.
For the worshipping part I point you to the countless threads that have the sole purpose of picking a fight with him.
Having established this basic meaning of Ren's words, that other than your definitions actually make sense in context, lets look at what the meaning of "he is a god" would look like seen from this side. It would only be used in a non-literal sense, e.g. "The Beatles are gods.". This would be an exaggerating view on their fame(immortality) by there fans and followers(worshippers). Because it is the view of other people, it just doesn't have anything to do with, whether the Beatles are agnostics or not.
Therefore your joke is not funny.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 pm

tokage wrote:Still not enough worship after another thread title with your name in it? You are getting greedy.
But guess that is what is to be expected from a lawyer.
lol. This is to be expected from people who've never been in a law course; that studying law makes you a lawyer. No one wants to be a lawyer these days. Flooded market. :P
Wilbefast wrote:Ah, but Ren, do you know the different between Syntactic and Semantic equivalence? Logical Consequence? Contingency, Satisfiability and Validity? Induction and Recursion?
We've got so much to discuss! Tautologies, Models and anti-Models, Predicates and Propositions, Quantificators, variable Arity, Resolution methods, Davis and Putman and Tables which aren't tables!

Where to begin :o
I'd love to hear your opinions on all those things, please write a brief description of each and have it on my desk by Wednesday.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:It wasn't a matter of fooling anyone, it was a matter of who wanted me to be wrong, despite the fact that I wasn't. Envy will get you nowhere, you could just worship me instead guys.
Ah, so everyone hates you ...
tokage wrote:... Therefore your joke is not funny.
What joke?

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote: lol as I recall the 15-year-old sided with you, but that doesn't really tell you anything.
There's a difference between me siding with someone and me calling out hypocrisy.

Just saying.

tokage

Re: Disgusted

Post by tokage » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:What joke?
Assaultman67 at the start of this mess wrote:Aren't you agnostic? (or atheist?)

How could you ever worship an agnostic ... :lol:

I mean, how could someone claim to be a god, and yet not know if god exists :P
The other reason, why your attempt at a joke failed miserably, was, that you had to laugh - that's a laughing smiley there or will you prefer to play dumb again?- about it yourself.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:41 pm

Someone please close this thread already. It's tearing us apart. :(

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:59 pm

^ Seconded.

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:17 pm

To Assaultman67 and all others who have had arguments with R_T:
The Rules of the Internet wrote:The more you hate it, the stronger it gets.
Blorx wrote:Someone please close this thread already. It's tearing us apart. :(
This does seem like a good idea.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Sandurz wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote: lol as I recall the 15-year-old sided with you, but that doesn't really tell you anything.
There's a difference between me siding with someone and me calling out hypocrisy.

Just saying.
*Condescending pat on the head.*

Yes, you keep thinking that's what you were doing. Isn't that cute.

Assaultman67 wrote:
Ah, so everyone hates you ...
Envy: not to be confused with hate.
Various people wrote:Close this thread.
But I'm having so much fun. The thread topic is accurate now, too. So all you wet blankets need not fear.

Assaultman67

Re: Disgusted

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 pm

tokage wrote:... The other reason, why your attempt at a joke failed miserably, was, that you had to laugh - that's a laughing smiley there or will you prefer to play dumb again?- about it yourself.
The laughing smilie was merely meant to provoke a response :P ...
Renegade_Turner wrote:...
But I'm having so much fun...
Indeed! let us have our fun!

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Sandurz wrote:

Just saying.
*Condescending pat on the head.*

Yes, you keep thinking that's what you were doing. Isn't that cute.
Wait, so now you get to tell me what I was trying to do? I guess he WAS right, you do think you're a god.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Seriously. End this. Now.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Blorx wrote:Seriously. End this. Now.
Maybe you need to start pulling strings?