Ode to Mr Bubbles - Enemy NPCs done right.

Anything else
Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:59 am

nerodx wrote:Did you happen to play Bioshock 2 as well?
Yes. It was pretty good, but it lacked the spark of the original.
nerodx wrote:Remember the last time you fight a big daddy towards the end?
Yes. I know the one you mean.
nerodx wrote:That was one of the most amazing emotional events I've ever played in a game, right next to the end of Half Life 2 Episode 2. And it wasn't even an important part of the plot!
I must admit that it didn't have that much effect on me. Although that's not to say it was bad, after all, it did manage to elicit a certain sense of "oh no what have I done?"

Unfortunately the effect was dulled by the sheer number of Big Daddies I had already killed. I think it would have worked better if it had occurred much earlier in the game.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: Ode to Mr Bubbles - Enemy NPCs done right.

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:02 am

Bioshock 2 seemed like a pointless rehash in the same place as the first one. They completed the storyline from Bioshock and gave it a nice, solid ending. From a story telling aspect, was there really any point in going back to Rapture?

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:15 am

Grayswandir wrote:Bioshock 2 seemed like a pointless rehash in the same place as the first one. They completed the storyline from Bioshock and gave it a nice, solid ending.
Indeed.

Yahtzee probably said it best.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:08 am

oh, he's good, thats two people who wanted to play bioshock after visiting this thread

Aspen

Post by Aspen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:25 pm

zoidberg rules wrote:oh, he's good, thats two people who wanted to play bioshock after visiting this thread
Three. I played both games back-to-back after reading his post.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 am

=O can i has them now pleeze?!?!?!?!

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu May 06, 2010 6:35 am

does win 7 suck more or less than windows vista??

still anyway, i now have bioshock, i think its a brilliant game, and i've been playing it all morning, the only problem with me loving it so much is that whenever i see a big daddy, not only do i jizz in my pants they are the living embodiment of the word awesomness leave me alone but i cannot fight them at all, and they kill me in seconds, does anybody have any tips for an easy(er) way to kill big daddies??

i currently have the electroshock and enrage plasmids equipped

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu May 06, 2010 7:36 am

zoidberg rules wrote:...does anybody have any tips for an easy(er) way to kill big daddies??
Ohh, lesse now...

- Use hacked security systems. For example, hack a couple of bots and a camera, then attack the Big Daddy and lead him past the camera. He'll end up having to fend off about four bots as well as you. Turrets are good as well, although he will junk them pretty quickly.

- Don't be afraid to gobble down health kits like popcorn.

- Use the telekinesis plasmid to hurl explosive objects at him. It'll do a fair whack of damage.

- Use electric ammo. Especially if you can lure him into water. Early on the electric buck will be your best bet. Later on (if you want to be really cheap) you get a flamethrower that can spray electric gel.

- If you don't have electric ammo (or money to buy some) then use armour piercing rounds.

- Electrobolt isn't much use against Big Daddies unless they are standing in water. They take bugger all damage and the stun only lasts for about half a second.

- Don't try to melee him. Just don't. It's like trying to melee a Krogan.

- Don't use enrage on him. He will kill everything in sight. Then come for you.

- When up against bouncers (the ones with the drills) keep your distance. Try to keep solid cover between you and him. Use staircases and balconies to your advantage. If he charges, then sidestep... fast.

- Rosies (the ones with rivet guns) will throw proximity mines at you. You can catch them out of the air with telekinesis and throw them back. Alternatively you can wait for him to stand near his own mine then shoot the mine.

- If you want to get really fancy you can get them into fights with splicers. He'll kill them, but take some damage in the process and he won't get pissed at you.

- Oh, and there's not really any point in attacking a Big Daddy unless he has a little sister with him.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu May 06, 2010 8:33 am

Grayswandir wrote:Bioshock 2 seemed like a pointless rehash in the same place as the first one. They completed the storyline from Bioshock and gave it a nice, solid ending. From a story telling aspect, was there really any point in going back to Rapture?
That's a shame, the reason I went back to play Bioshock to complete it once and for all, after I fell away from playing it due to various other factors, was because Bioshock 2 had come out and I didn't want to try it until the first was complete.

I enjoyed the first immensely. In fact, I became so obsessed with the narrative of the game through audio recordings and the setting of Rapture that I went and found loads of interviews with the guy behind all of this. He's a very clever guy, and it was interesting to hear the reason for why he did some of the things he did. There was one interview in particular, which you should only read once you've completed Bioshock as it pretty much addresses every facet of the story. I could dig it up if you guys wanted.

I heard the multiplayer in Bioshock 2 is pretty solid though. Anyone contribute any thoughts on this?

Zhukov wrote:*Big Daddy tactics*
At the beginning of the game I pretty much stuck to electric buck or just didn't attack the fuckers.

Later on in the game, I would set up about 5 trap bolts in a row once I got the crossbow and then lure the daddy straight through them. Often this was enough to kill the big daddy in one go, so it was a pretty neat strategy. Using trap bolts was my favourite, simply because I loved how all the splicers unwittingly ran at me, leapt towards me to attack me, and then got electrocuted mid-flight by some wire they didn't see and crumble into a lifeless mess without getting anywhere near me.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu May 06, 2010 8:45 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:I could dig it up if you guys wanted.
Would you kindly? That would be most interesting.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu May 06, 2010 9:03 am

For some reason I find that request impossible to resist. :P

Here it is. SPOILER ALERT: Only read this if you've completed Bioshock. I mean that.

The normal layout for the site made it a lot more cohesive and legible. I don't know what's wrong with shacknews.com at the moment, it seems to be rather buggy.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu May 06, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks for the help there Zhukov. i was playing a couple of minutes ago, and im getting use to killing big daddies now, ive been using my tommy gun, then switching to the armor piercing rounds on the pistol, then stun for half-sec with electroshock, and spamming with electric buck shot. I've just bought the hypnotise big daddy plasmid, and have yet to try that out against a big daddy, and have just been given he grenade launcher, and will try that out in a bit.

I have found that after i kill the first big daddy in the level, if i save the little sister, then follow her to her little hidey-hole, i can just wait it out untill the next big daddy comes along and then kill him. I then just rinse and repeat so that i wont have to face the big daddy later in the level where there may be a lot of splicers trying to kill me too.

I also found that if i wait for a bit, then attract the splicers in a certain level, they will come out right onto the big daddie's path, then all i have to do is enrage the big daddy, so that he takes care of the splicers for me, whilst keeping a safe amount of distance between me and it, and it should be mostly dead by the time it's finished with the splicers, allowing me to spam a few shells from the shottie at it, and it's dead. i then harvest the little sister it just brought back out from her hidey-hole and do it again.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri May 07, 2010 4:43 am

If you have the right plasmid and upgrade setup, you can beat Big Daddies to death with the Wrench...and then you can use the Big Daddy's corpse as a giant, hallway filling projectile of death...although if you're playing on Normal, pretty much anything thrown using Telekinesis is bound to kill something. Yes, even that dead cat you found will do irreparable harm to someone's face.
Renegade_Turner wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:Bioshock 2 seemed like a pointless rehash in the same place as the first one. They completed the storyline from Bioshock and gave it a nice, solid ending. From a story telling aspect, was there really any point in going back to Rapture?
That's a shame, the reason I went back to play Bioshock to complete it once and for all, after I fell away from playing it due to various other factors, was because Bioshock 2 had come out and I didn't want to try it until the first was complete.
I haven't ever played Bioshock 2, so I can't say for certain, it just seemed like a silly idea to try and extend the franchise when they neatly ended the entire thing with the first game.
I heard the multiplayer in Bioshock 2 is pretty solid though. Anyone contribute any thoughts on this?
Multiplayer might be fun, especially with all the plasmids. But they'd have to take care in proper balance so that one set of plasmids wouldn't over-power the others.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri May 07, 2010 10:32 am

Well, I can't really comment on the ending of Bioshock 1, but from what I've heard, making the second wasn't a good idea, in which case a good compromise would have been to make an exclusively online game (any comments on this idea?). Still, what i think would have been good is if you played a big daddy just as all of the problems were starting to occur in Rapture, maybe, play a Big Daddy employed after a while (or even created exclusively) to help quell the riots started by the splicers (any comments on this idea either?)