Weapons fly all over map

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
smain

Weapons fly all over map

Post by smain » Thu May 06, 2010 1:20 pm

I just bought the humble indie bundle (great idea btw)...

I immediately installed Lugaru to play it, no problem. However when I drop a weapon (either by pressing Q or by being thrown to the ground) the weapon starts spinning and fly all over the map, making it impossible to get the weapon again. This also happens when opponents drop their weapon.

Does anyone now if there is a fix to this bug?

I play the game on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit, and I suspect it might be the linux build, since the .exe through WINE worked fine (without the jittery weapons).

Hope someone can help, since this is a awesome game, which is really being ruined for me by not being able to fully utilize the weapons in-game T_T

Thanks in advance
Smain

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Re: Weapons fly all over map

Post by rudel_ic » Thu May 06, 2010 1:22 pm

That's a bug that's unique to the Linux version. I'm afraid that all you can do is wait for a fix from icculus.

smain

Post by smain » Thu May 06, 2010 3:46 pm

'kay T_T... not really the answer I was hoping for. Though I feared that was the case.

Is it known if he will fix this sometime soon? Or will I just have to be patient?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu May 06, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm not sure. Maybe you can speed things up by complaining on his bugzilla.

https://bugzilla.icculus.org/

Laughing_Gas

Post by Laughing_Gas » Thu May 06, 2010 6:48 pm

I get this on Windows 7 64 bit. very strange.

smain

Post by smain » Fri May 07, 2010 3:04 am

Yeah I just tested on a 32 bit system, also Linux. No problem there. So I think that the problem lies in the 64 bit architecture. Also since Win7 apparently also have the problem I cannot be a Linux only thing

ShnitzelKiller

Post by ShnitzelKiller » Fri May 14, 2010 7:08 pm

rudel_ic wrote:That's a bug that's unique to the Linux version. I'm afraid that all you can do is wait for a fix from icculus.
I have this problem on my imac.

fetter_oml

Post by fetter_oml » Sun May 16, 2010 3:36 pm

smain wrote:So I think that the problem lies in the 64 bit architecture.
nope, im playing on a 32bit archlinux and its bugged like this, too.

oml

smain

Post by smain » Tue May 18, 2010 10:00 am

Hmm this really is a problem T_T... however with the code now open sourced, perhaps someone with programming experience could fix it :}

Agrippa

Post by Agrippa » Mon May 24, 2010 6:47 pm

I don't know if this helps anyone, but I just had an Nvidia 7600GT and the weapons were fine. The caps died on it so I used that as an excuse to purchase an ATI HD 4770. Now the weapons are all over the place. I don't know if it has anything to do with the card or maybe the significantly improved fps, but that's all that has changed with my computer. I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

xolotl

Post by xolotl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Hello; wanted to note that it looks like development is slightly more active on Lugaru at Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/lugaru/ That branch includes all the commits from icculus plus some extra stuff that happened afterwards. I've submitted an Issue about it, over here: http://code.google.com/p/lugaru/issues/detail?id=23

So perhaps something will come of it there. Personally I'm running 32-bit Linux using the binary nVidia drivers; this seems to manifest itself on a variety of platforms, though it's interesting that it happens on some but not others. I wonder what the common thread is... Perhaps it's got something to do with the SDL version in question, or something, though I'd expect the physics code to work the same regardless.

One possible thing to look into, when I took a look at it briefly, is that if you set "weapon.physics=0" on a dropped weapon, it'll just drop to the floor and stay there. I've only tried that out on the knife that gets dropped as part of the Tutorial (line 4470 in Source/GameTick.cpp), and it does the trick there. (Though if you get disarmed later, that variable gets set back to 1 and it'll start flying all over.) Perhaps it'd make sense to look through the code and see if setting physics=0 for any dropped weapon would take care of it, or at least get it playable on systems that this affects. Of course, if Lugaru supports thrown weapons or something, I suspect that might have some adverse affects.

xolotl

Post by xolotl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:01 pm

Aha, the note about "significantly improved FPS" seems to be the right direction on this one. This is only applicable to nVidia (and on Linux) but if an environment variable is set like so:

Code: Select all

__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1
... Lugaru will limit itself to the vsync on your monitor, which in my case drops my FPS from 999+ to 60. When I do that, the tutorial knife works exactly as I'd expect it to (ie: it just falls to the ground and stays there). This fixes the issue both on the current code from hg, and using the binary version of LugaruHD from the Bundle.

So, good news there! I gather that nVidia's control panel has an option to explicitly limit FPS, and I'd guess that ATI probably has something similar as well. In the absence of actual code fixes to help prevent this, hopefully that workaround will do the trick for others as well.

(Somewhat relatedly, I had noticed the config variable "VBL Sync" in my config.txt, which I also tried, but that didn't actually do anything. Must be talking about something else, even though "__GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK" and "VBL Sync" seem awfully similar.)