models from Big Buck Bunny to Lugaru?

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
jawCross

models from Big Buck Bunny to Lugaru?

Post by jawCross » Fri May 14, 2010 3:17 pm

You know Big Buck Bunny? http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/

Blender model for bunny is under creative commons (actually all datas from movie). Maybe we can see him sometimes smashing and kicking in Lugaru.

http://graphicall.org/bbb/index.php
->chars -> rabbit.blend (21.7M) (maybe it needs some tweaking)

Who takes this challenge?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Re: models from Big Buck Bunny to Lugaru?

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 14, 2010 3:18 pm

That's not too hard, hang on

Edit: The amount of modifiers and shit in there is staggering. Too much of a hassle.

Noz

Post by Noz » Fri May 14, 2010 9:49 pm

I agree. Plus they are way too high poly. And yes, it would be annoying to work through the subsurface modifier and even more of a pain to rig.

jawCross

Post by jawCross » Sat May 15, 2010 1:13 am

Thank you for checking it.

is polygon count limited for engine (so it can be raised by modifying it) or it is efficiency thing?

What are steps to check is some model usable? There are many games with free (as freedom) content. How about grounds and landscapes? No rigging needed.

My only blender experience is with ManiaDrive. it uses simple 'tri' format which can be exported/imported with blender (plugin). Game contains road-objects (maybe not mood of current lugaru) but also objects for building snow and grass landscapes. Many of game levels are small valley with road. So removing roads (can be done with text editor/ grep) they are suitable for battle arenas.

one online archive: http://fastrepo.raydium.org/
tania, mania, lania, wania are from maniadrive.

I do not understand license of lugarus data, so I think it is good idea to start looking ways to change/offer whole free data pack.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat May 15, 2010 7:33 am

There is a max poly count. My exporter goes up to 65025 triangles. Loading times get pretty crazy though beyond 15k polys.

Models are usable if they consist of triangles, have a UV mapping and are non-manifold.
Models with quads also work, but some faces aren't displayed. Non-manifold meshes have the issue that some faces have the wrong winding. My tools reject models without a UV mapping.

The license for Lugaru's assets forbids their commercial distribution by third parties. The sourcecode is GPL though.

I agree, it's a good idea to make a completely free data pack. You'll have a hard time though. I'm working on improving some of my tools because of that — they merge rather than create from scratch. At least the skeleton exporter and the map exporter do.

Edit: I got the Big Bunny working, but the default skeleton didn't match; same goes for the animations. I enhanced my skeleton exporter to deal with that, it can now alter skeleton vertices (however, this feature isn't in the release version yet); plus, there was an issue with the order of joints which I also took care of. Of course, one would have to alter all animations as well to get Big Bunny working properly.
Now I'm too tired to work on the Big Bunny though. Maybe another time :)

qubodup

Post by qubodup » Sat May 15, 2010 11:40 am

I would like to suggest this skeleton to be considered for converting to a format readable by lugaru.
download here

Any info on how to import models would be appreciated. Couldn't find anything on the wiki.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat May 15, 2010 1:05 pm

qubodup wrote:I would like to suggest this skeleton to be considered for converting to a format readable by lugaru.
download here
Haha sweet, I'll have a stab at it.

Any info on how to import models would be appreciated. Couldn't find anything on the wiki.
http://www.alice-dsl.net/wolf.mathwig/tools/py/

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat May 15, 2010 3:06 pm

So it's done, I've attached it and the Blender project (with the proper vertex groups, UV mapping and stuff) separately to this post as zip archives.

Have fun with that crap :)
Attachments
skeleton_Blender.zip
The Blender project as it was right as I exported the junk.
(367.53 KiB) Downloaded 1396 times
skeleton_Data.zip
The Data folder with texture, skeletons and models. Backup the original Lugaru Data folder. Then put the stuff in this zipped Data folder into your local Data folder.
(959.69 KiB) Downloaded 1533 times

jawCross

Post by jawCross » Sat May 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Very nice. Not all skins look good on this skeleton but very nice work.

Who is the Author of model and what is its license?
Personally I rather play bunny than skeleton, but maybe bunny kicking skeletons :mrgreen:

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat May 15, 2010 6:56 pm

jawCross wrote:Very nice. Not all skins look good on this skeleton but very nice work.
I've included fur.jpg as a template. It's basically ambient occlusion baked into the uv-mapped texture. You can copy that around or use it as a template.
Who is the Author of model and what is its license?
I don't know who the author or what the license is, but I'll make sure to contact him rightaway if I can.

Note though that making the skeleton involves merging vertex indices into an already existing skeleton from Lugaru, which means that the result inherits the license.

So the model is free and can be used commercially because it's generated from scratch, but the skeleton isn't because it's a derivative of a noncommercial asset.
Personally I rather play bunny than skeleton, but maybe bunny kicking skeletons :mrgreen:
You can just switch stuff around to achieve that. Replace all wolf stuff (skeletons, models, textures) with this skeleton junk. Keep the original bunny stuff. Should be pretty straight-forward.

jawCross

Post by jawCross » Sun May 16, 2010 2:44 am

What lugaru data license said about derived work? (nothing?)

Maybe forbidding commercial use of data is not big deal. If they can be released with modified game and released with any other context (another game, manuals on we page, etc) and derived work is allowed with sticky license.

qubodup

Post by qubodup » Mon May 17, 2010 10:06 am

rudel_ic wrote:So it's done, I've attached it and the Blender project (with the proper vertex groups, UV mapping and stuff) separately to this post as zip archives.
Wow, amazing!

The author is http://hourglass3d.com/ I think.
Note though that making the skeleton involves merging vertex indices into an already existing skeleton from Lugaru, which means that the result inherits the license.
Do you mean these files: http://hg.icculus.org/icculus/lugaru/fi ... Animations ?

Do you know if replacements can be created for these? Would it make sense to ask Wolfire for an exception to the data license for these files, so that new models can be added easier?
What lugaru data license said about derived work? (nothing?)
http://hg.icculus.org/icculus/lugaru/fi ... ICENSE.txt - yeah, nothing. it only explicitly premits re-distribution.

By the way:
I just watched the Sintel trailer. I think we're all thinking the same thing. ^^^^^^^^

PS: video of the skeleton (sorry for lags, GLC doesn't seem to get along with slomo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cn_qV5KsI0

MCMic

Post by MCMic » Fri May 21, 2010 10:40 am

rudel_ic wrote:Image

So it's done, I've attached it and the Blender project (with the proper vertex groups, UV mapping and stuff) separately to this post as zip archives.

Have fun with that crap :)
Could you add a license in the zip?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri May 21, 2010 11:50 am

MCMic wrote:Could you add a license in the zip?
No. It's unclear what license applies for the skeletal structure since there is no licensing documented anywhere for this type of asset. All I can find is an "it's free" post here, but that's not a license.

The skeletal structure ("Skeleton/Basic Figure" and "Skeleton/Basic Figurelow") is a direct derivative of the Lugaru stock files of the same name. Literally, the python merge script copies bytechunks from the original to the result.

Until the skeleton exporter isn't modified so that it generates files from scratch rather than from prior data, the license that applies to these two files is the same as the one that applies to the Lugaru data that's in icculus' repository. Edit: To clarify: I intend to change that, meaning I'll write a proper generic exporter down the line.

The license for the .solid files is the same as the one for my python code. Meaning it's similar to public domain. In a nutshell:
  • Free of charge
  • Free to use
  • No property claims possible
  • Copyright claims are void (except for the original author's since that's a basic human right you can't just waive like that)
It's not GPL'd yet (working on that).

You can find that license at the top of all the python files.

MCMic

Post by MCMic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 am

rudel_ic wrote:
MCMic wrote:Could you add a license in the zip?
No. It's unclear what license applies for the skeletal structure since there is no licensing documented anywhere for this type of asset. All I can find is an "it's free" post here, but that's not a license.

The skeletal structure ("Skeleton/Basic Figure" and "Skeleton/Basic Figurelow") is a direct derivative of the Lugaru stock files of the same name. Literally, the python merge script copies bytechunks from the original to the result.

Until the skeleton exporter isn't modified so that it generates files from scratch rather than from prior data, the license that applies to these two files is the same as the one that applies to the Lugaru data that's in icculus' repository. Edit: To clarify: I intend to change that, meaning I'll write a proper generic exporter down the line.

The license for the .solid files is the same as the one for my python code. Meaning it's similar to public domain. In a nutshell:
  • Free of charge
  • Free to use
  • No property claims possible
  • Copyright claims are void (except for the original author's since that's a basic human right you can't just waive like that)
It's not GPL'd yet (working on that).

You can find that license at the top of all the python files.
Hi!

Now that we have this information : https://wolfire.tenderapp.com/discussio ... 279d3278e0
We know that skeleton and animations are under a free license.
So could this skeleton model be clearly licensed? (license + author origin)