Click or just Hold

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Catmentra

Click or just Hold

Post by Catmentra » Mon May 17, 2010 11:36 pm

My brother is convinced that you can play just by holding the attack button (by default mouse) down and you will still be able to attack. Is this possible? And if so Why is it implemented?

tannim

Re: Click or just Hold

Post by tannim » Mon May 17, 2010 11:53 pm

just hold the button, and you attack. Yes. The same does not work for the block/crouch key.

Why? I forget. Why not, I guess.

I do not think it works like that when crouching though.

quadomatic

Post by quadomatic » Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 am

Only works when you're unarmed btw

Catmentra

Post by Catmentra » Tue May 18, 2010 12:36 am

quadomatic wrote:Only works when you're unarmed btw
Is this for new players or something?

tannim

Post by tannim » Tue May 18, 2010 1:56 am

for anybody who wants it.

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue May 18, 2010 9:51 am

Holding the button with a weapon makes you automatically attack as soon as someone is in range. Which is the only way to use the sword effectively because it gets countered so much otherwise.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue May 18, 2010 5:00 pm

You will only attack once, though, and then have to hold down the mouse button again. Essentially, holding it down lets you prepare for an attack ahead of time, letting you automatically attack when you are in range.

iLag

Post by iLag » Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

invertin wrote:Holding the button with a weapon makes you automatically attack as soon as someone is in range. Which is the only way to use the sword effectively because it gets countered so much otherwise.
So that's why I had better luck going unarmed against wolves.
This is something that should be taught in the tutorial of the game.

quadomatic

Post by quadomatic » Tue May 18, 2010 9:53 pm

iLag wrote:
invertin wrote:Holding the button with a weapon makes you automatically attack as soon as someone is in range. Which is the only way to use the sword effectively because it gets countered so much otherwise.
So that's why I had better luck going unarmed against wolves.
This is something that should be taught in the tutorial of the game.
Yeah...a lot of things should've been in the tutorial:

1. Hold left click to string attacks together automatically while unarmed
2. Hold left click to automatically do a single attack with a weapon when your enemy approaches you
3. Do not try to hold shift (as with left click) to counter...it won't work
4. Flip around in the air a few times; it will distract your enemies
5. Clean the blood off of your knife, or wolves will find you
6. When trying to do spinecrushers or tracheotomies, you do not have to stop crouch walking to pull off the attack.
7. You can soccer-kick enemies that are lying on the ground
8. Check the strategy section on the Lugaru portal in the Wolfire wiki for more tips

sonia12345

Post by sonia12345 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 am

Clean blood off your knife? How do you do that?

While we're on the subject of various basic game-play mechanics that ought to have been discussed in the tutorial and/or wiki:

How exactly does sneaking work? Do they automatically see you if you're within a certain range and they face you? Or are there other precautions you can take?

Are there other actions that can be performed--other than combat moves, picking up weapons, sheathing and unsheathing them, and talking to other rabbits?

Man oh man... it's going to take me a while to get used to the controls / combat strategy on this one.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 am

Sonia, to clean blood off your knife, when it's bloody, crouch and left click. :D

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu May 27, 2010 1:44 am

With sneaking, you have to take your smell and the wind direction into account. Approaching a wolf with a bloody knife isn't too smart in general though.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu May 27, 2010 6:33 am

I've never successfully sneaked up on a wolf before. Even if I'm downwind of where he is and, in theory, he can't smell me, he always somehow still detects me before I can use spinecrusher on 'em :/

sonia12345

Post by sonia12345 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 am

I haven't even gotten to the wolves yet... I'm stuck at one of the early areas where it tells you to take out the sentries. I can't manage to sneak up on them (hard to figure out which direction to come from when there are more than one and they keep turning around). Unless line of sight has nothing to do with it and it's all smell/sound? Or is it all three? Are obstacles to line of site completely irrelevant, or can they help a bit?

I guess I just need to practice a bunch till I don't get my ass consistently and thoroughly whupped each time I go up against more than one other rabbit. I haven't really played games where the combat is fast paced, up close like that-- and you actually have to learn the moves, and think about when to use them, or you die. I've gotten way too used to games where you can pause the action mid-battle and take a minute to figure out your next few moves (Fallout, Dragon Age...).

This is definitely different! Even though Lugaru is really frustrating me, I'm now really excited for Overgrowth.

WallyWorld

Post by WallyWorld » Thu May 27, 2010 2:53 pm

If you're having trouble fighting more than one rabbit, don't feel bad about rolling or backward hand springing away and literally jumping away. I'm no expert at the game, but have started to get the hang of things somewhat and find making them come to you can allow you to get one or two hits in on the first one to reach you before jumping away again. It takes a while to beat them down, but mixing it up with the occasional Leg Cannon when appropriate can make it a lot easier when you find yourself being chased by a few to many badies.