Loved

Anything else
Sandurz

Re: Loved

Post by Sandurz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:So my question is why did things get colorful the more you disobeyed the master?
This is what someone posted in the comments, and I quite agree.
Some Guy wrote:The more you listen, the more clear things became, but the world remained dull. The more you didn't listen, the less you saw, but the more colorful the world became. Ignorance is bliss?

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Ignorance is bliss but also dangerous.

Sounds like something out of a fortune cookie.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:45 am

Suddenly it all makes fortune-cookie sense x3

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Is this a reference to religion and the "Master" represents the deity of whichever religion is appropriate to the person, and that religions are generally designed so as to be "I am the Master, you listen to me, if you don't listen to me you're heading down the wrong path", but the author may be suggesting that not always following the teachings or message of a certain religion, can be illuminating rather than blinding. That may be a possible explanation for the appearance of colour when taking the path of "disobedience".

Specific texts such as the Koran or the Bible could be construed as the "Master".

I haven't played the game, nor will I bother, so I haven't a fucking clue.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote: Is this a reference to religion and the "Master" represents the deity of whichever religion is appropriate to the person, and that religions are generally designed so as to be "I am the Master, you listen to me, if you don't listen to me you're heading down the wrong path", but the author may be suggesting that not always following the teachings or message of a certain religion, can be illuminating rather than blinding.

SNIP
I haven't a fucking clue.
Is this a reference to "Playstation" and the "fucking" represents the fun one can have with a "controller" that is appopriate to the "Playstation", designed so as to be "twiddle this and fun stuff happens", but the author may be suggesting that he's reading too much into stuff and not taking himself too seriously, which is good because it is not blinding.

This post is off-topic.

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:27 am

I'm reasonably sure the colors are supposed to represent blinding, not illumination. Because it's really friggen hard to see with them on. Especially when the one-way platforms come along and you can't tell which ones you can go through and which ones you can't.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:44 am

Well, mine was a guess, I haven't played the game or seen it played.

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:05 am

If it were anyone else, I'd tell them to play it, but I can't imagine you taking it seriously.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:30 am

Perhaps this is exactly why we need to urge him to play it.

I'm intrigued as to what the result will be.

Cosec

Post by Cosec » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Played the game last night, and I have to agree with the general opinion of the thread. I didn't find it really had an underlying theme, as there wasn't really a conclusion to speak of. I guess you could say it was hollow.

I also don't understand how disobeying the commands of a disembodied voice is ignorance. I was very aware of what I was doing.

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:06 am

You only see them as spikes because the voice told you they're spikes. Otherwise, you know they're dangerous, but not why or what they are. Same with the checkpoint statues.

That could imply either A- You don't know what they are because you never learned.

Or B- They're only spikes and statues because you've been told they are.

Depends on whether you think the voice is good, evil or mislead.

Cosec

Post by Cosec » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:57 am

Sounds kind of convoluted if you ask me.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:03 am

This is why video games are awesome. The game tells you that sharp pointy things are deadly, but for whatever reason, you decide to test and see how deadly they are. But because the video game tells you they're deadly, you'd mostly likely believe they're deadly, because the video game is programmed to make them deadly...so you run at the spikes...and...you die. Now, before you run at the spikes, you saved the game. So you reload, and go on your merry way avoiding spikes. If the game doesn't let you save, you die and then the game can either: A) restart you at the beginning of the level, or B) restart the game entirely, or C) restart your game entirely and delete your saves. In choice B) and C) if you do enough "testing of the rules", you'll probably just get frustrated and end up blaming the entire thing on game design rather then realizing you were the idiot who decided to test all the game physics in the first place...especially if say, the spikes don't appear until half way through the game.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:16 am

Grayswandir wrote: you'll probably just get frustrated and end up blaming the entire thing on game design rather then realizing you were the idiot who decided to test all the game physics in the first place...
If spikes aren't deadly, but something else is, I might eventually be in a situation where I could only avoid danger by moving into spikes. If I think spikes are deadly, I'll hesitate and die. If I know that spikes are safe, I might survive.

Usually you know that the spikes are bad, but there are still related questions you might need at some point. "How close to the spikes can I get before bad things happen?" for example, or "will I die or will I just take damage". Those come up even when the game tells you that spikes are dangerous.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:21 am

I would love to design a game that tells you that you're invulnerable to some spikes, but all the spikes are the same fucking color. Also, when you die, you lose all your saves...and it sleeps with your mom.

This is why I don't design video games.