Good ol' Abandonware

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: Good ol' Abandonware

Post by Endoperez » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 am

Blorx wrote:It probably took you three hours because you were dicking around trying to get yourself absolute victory.

Come on now, complaining that you can run out of metal? No game has infinite resources. Hell, if you wanna play that way, you'll run out of resources in Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, etc, etc. You can't just grind wood, gas, minerals, etc forever
Well, I hadn't played the game in a long while. I wasn't trying to get an absolute victory, I was trying to find out what I'm supposed to do but had trouble with it. I sent my ship to the wrong direction so I never saw the islands I was supposed to build colonies in. It would have taken me about the same time to build mining colonies on the metal islands, and then I'd have had to spend all that metal to train soldiers, and then I could have attacked the AI.

I still hadn't cleared all the forests and stones away from the eastern part of my own island. Of course I could do it faster now that I know the enemies aren't on that island, but if I'm supposed to lose the first time to discover what to do the game is even slower.

I agree that running out of resources is good for the strategy, now that I played it again. That only leaves the minor con that takes away from the managery aspect. Dungeon Keeper had gold that is gone once it's mined away, and rare blocks from which you get gold slower but indefinitely. Some maps never give you the gem blocks at all, but those that have them don't have a time limit like that. The raiding heroes might become more of a trouble with time, but that could be a fun challenge.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:27 pm

invertin wrote:Sims requires no tactical thinking beyond "Oh hey, he's hungry and therefore needs food"
Correction: "Oh hey, he needs food, fuck it, go take a dip in a pool without exits. WELCOME TO WATERWORLD FUCKER!!! Drown you asshole, drown!!!"

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Hehehe

I've recently started a game of trapping all visitors to my home in one room with no escape and then using cheats to make them technically a part of my family. (Because at some point they'll go "I need to leave now" and then escape somehow, but if they're a part of my family, they'll think they live here, so they won't leave)

Then I wait for the starving.

One time a couple went in and they randomly started hating eachother for no reason about the same point that they began constantly wetting themselves and falling asleep.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 am

Hahaha. See this is what The Sims SHOULD be used for, man.

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:56 pm

hey what about JFKreloaded? I laughed a lot with that game
And there is an old game i have been trying to find. You place some kind of tetris pieces to avoid the water flood and create a safe path like a 3D mix of pipe mania and tetris....anyone knows this kind of game?

cameleopard42

Post by cameleopard42 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:23 pm

Why would someone make a game about JFK's assassination?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:17 am

technically speaking it wasn't a game, it was supposed to be an open forensics simulation. to disprove or prove some of those conspiracy theories.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:26 am

cameleopard42 wrote:Why would someone make a game about JFK's assassination?
Why should they not? There's been countless games about the Nazis. I'm not sure I understand the purpose or intent of your question.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:54 am

NOW TIME FOR A SICK JOKE ABOUT NAZI OPPRESSION!!

Q: How do you get 1,000 Jews in a car?

A: 2 in the back seats, the other 998 in the ash tray!

I'm sorry, sometimes something comes to my mind and I just have to say (or post) it. :?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:41 am

zoidberg rules wrote:NOW TIME FOR A SICK JOKE ABOUT NAZI OPPRESSION!!

Q: How do you get 1,000 Jews in a car?

A: 2 in the back seats, the other 998 in the ash tray!

I'm sorry, sometimes something comes to my mind and I just have to say (or post) it. :?
Nah, you got it all wrong, it's:

Q: How many Jews can you fit in Hitler's car?

A: 1 in the front, 2 in the back and 5,000,000 in the ash tray. =P

cameleopard42

Post by cameleopard42 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Why should they not? There's been countless games about the Nazis. I'm not sure I understand the purpose or intent of your question.
Because there is a big difference between a war against fascism and the murder of a great and beloved president.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:24 pm

cameleopard42 wrote:Because there is a big difference between a war against fascism and the murder of a great and beloved president.
Yeah. I know about the war. :wink:

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:45 am

cameleopard42 wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:
Because there is a big difference between a war against fascism and the murder of a great and beloved president.
Are you suggesting that it is less sensitive to make a game about one person dying than it is to make a game about over six million people dying

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:54 am

cameleopard42 wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:
Hahaha, you're one of those stereotypical and wholly-unlikeable American patriots that thinks the sun revolves around America.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:24 am

I believe a game about the JFK assassination would be sliiightly less enjoyable than a game where you can kill nazis.

Just a thought.