Overgrowth Level Edito

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
TheGreatBug

Overgrowth Level Edito

Post by TheGreatBug » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:12 am

Hopefully, Wolfire will start on the Overgrowth level editor (not the map editor) soon. We can post our ideas here.

I'm hoping the editor will have the ability to create intelligent levels; actions such as killing someone, finding an object, going to a place, or choices asking for input can trigger events such as going to a certain level (maybe starting on another path of the story), moving to another place, bringing in more enemies, etc.

Endoperez

Re: Overgrowth Level Edito

Post by Endoperez » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:08 am

It will most probably work through scripting. The principle was demonstrated a year ago, with trigger areas called "hotspots" being linked to scripts. Things might have changed since them, but we haven't gotten any news (I think) and I don't think we've been shown level-scripting functionality since.

TheGreatBug

Post by TheGreatBug » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:49 am

That looks cool! I can't wait to start playing around with it.

I hope they'll add more flexibility, so we can create minigames. Examples could be throwing knives (or shooting arrows if they have it) or destroying some number of training dummies in a certain time.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 am

TheGreatBug wrote:That looks cool! I can't wait to start playing around with it.

I hope they'll add more flexibility, so we can create minigames. Examples could be throwing knives (or shooting arrows if they have it) or destroying some number of training dummies in a certain time.
Very easy with scripting. To destroy dummies, one just has to make the dummy an enemy that doesn't move, and to cause a counter to increase when it dies. Time can already be tracked. Throwing knives or whatever need an aiming system. Even if the main game doesn't have one, it shouldn't be that hard to add in.

Doing these systems well is, of course, much harder than just making them.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:21 am

TheGreatBug wrote:That looks cool! I can't wait to start playing around with it.

Very easy with scripting. To destroy dummies, one just has to make the dummy an enemy that doesn't move, and to cause a counter to increase when it dies. Time can already be tracked. Throwing knives or whatever need an aiming system. Even if the main game doesn't have one, it shouldn't be that hard to add in.

Doing these systems well is, of course, much harder than just making them.

TheGreatBug

Post by TheGreatBug » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:29 pm

Awesome!

One other thing that would be nice (I don't think they have this yet) is letting NPCs have default behavior more complex than just moving, and be affected by the player in ways other than attacking.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:40 am

TheGreatBug wrote:Awesome!

One other thing that would be nice (I don't think they have this yet) is letting NPCs have default behavior more complex than just moving, and be affected by the player in ways other than attacking.
That's also handled by the scripting layer, but AI is obviously a rather complicated matter so the number of people able to do custom AI behaviours will be much smaller than the number of those able to do simpler stuff.