Ubisoft

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: Ubisoft

Post by Endoperez » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:20 am

Freshbite wrote:The Orange Box comes with Half-Life 2 and both of the Episode releases. (As well as Portal and Team Fortress 2)
In that case I have bought HL2, I just haven't played it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:55 am

That's pretty silly. I'm skeptical of how you could have been unaware of the contents of a product you actually bought! =P

Venatir

Post by Venatir » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:05 am

Endoperez wrote: I have Steam, but I haven't played HL or the sequel. I did buy Orange Box, so I might have gotten HL2 or something with it, but I'm not sure.
Good enough. You've given Gabe another dinner.

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Venatir wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:I don't have a Steam account and I don't plan on having one, either.
How can one not own Half-Life/hl2? Not feeding Gabe is like not pleasing your God with the smell of burnt goat
I do have copies of Half Life and Half Life 2...
if you own hl2 you must have an account (guess you did play it at least once)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:That's pretty silly. I'm skeptical of how you could have been unaware of the contents of a product you actually bought! =P
I bought the sequel to Narbacular Drop, which I had enjoyed previously. Portal was indeed nice, but quite easy. And obviously I had waited until it was for sale.

I've actually played Team Fortress 2. It was more fun than I thought. I'm not a fan of FPS games, usually.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:04 pm

Venatir wrote:if you own hl2 you must have an account (guess you did play it at least once)
I'm resisting the urge to make fun of you. There are hard-copies of theh game, you know. I own a copy of Half Life 2. I don't have an account with Steam.

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:50 pm

This thread makes me want to play HL2 again. Such a great game.

Venatir

Post by Venatir » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Venatir wrote:if you own hl2 you must have an account (guess you did play it at least once)
I'm resisting the urge to make fun of you. There are hard-copies of theh game, you know. I own a copy of Half Life 2. I don't have an account with Steam.
You know, it's impossible to play it without steam without piracy

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:49 pm

Quoting from the Wikipedia article on Steam,
On November 16, 2004, Half-Life 2 was officially released. The title required activation via Steam in order to play the game. Later in the day of the launch, a significant number of buyers (both through Steam and retail) found themselves unable to play the game, due in part to a bottleneck of Valve's Steam system. The European authentication servers went down for a reported 5 hours before being fixed, preventing those with accounts stored on them from unlocking or playing the game. Other problems included long download times, glitches, and seemingly unnecessary updates. Some customers buying the in-store game had found that the CD keys with the game had already been hacked, users contacting support were told to wait for at least two weeks for a solution. It came second in 1UP.com's Top 5 Botched PC Gaming Launches.

Many hacks sprang up following Half-Life 2's launch, each claiming to be able to circumvent Steam and enable the user to get the games for free. Valve responded to these hacks by patching the servers and disabling accounts.
So, yes, you do, and always have, need a Steam account to play Half Life 2 legally.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:24 pm

THE JOKE IS ALREADY OVER FRESHBITE! GAWD!

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Haha. I couldn't resist it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:27 am

Venatir wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:
You know, it's impossible to play it without steam without piracy
You know, it's possible to own a copy of Half Life 2 but not own an account on Steam. My brother has a Steam account. Derp de derp.

Also, recently, to avoid that bollocks on Steam I just downloaded a pirated copy of Half Life 2. But to clarify again, I own Half Life 2, but not a Steam account.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:33 pm

well you could own it without having steam seeing as how it's also for xbox.

Venatir

Post by Venatir » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:You know, it's possible to own a copy of Half Life 2 but not own an account on Steam. My brother has a Steam account. Derp de derp.

Also, recently, to avoid that bollocks on Steam I just downloaded a pirated copy of Half Life 2. But to clarify again, I own Half Life 2, but not a Steam account.
Did you know that it's against the Steam Subscriber Agreement to share accounts, or similar? It means that you used your brothers account illegaly. If he has HL2 on his account, HE owns the copy.

Downloading a pirated version is STILL illegal, even if you already own it.

Also, who cares about consoles?

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:35 am

Venatir wrote:Also, who cares about consoles?
A lot of people, apparently. Why do you think they're still around?