Anyone for Jam?

Anything else
Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Anyone for Jam?

Post by Wilbefast » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:31 am

I've never participated in a Game Jam, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Trouble is I'm too terrified or being shot, stabbed, crucified and set on fire to go to America. Luckily The Global Game Jam is coming up :D

I'm in Trento at the moment, so my options are really Munich or Verona (or... Munich). Anybody here interested in either? Would be nice to meet some friendly... usernames :?

Let me know so I can make up my mind :mrgreen:

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Re: Anyone for Jam?

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 am

I'd really only be up for a jam in Hamburg, but there doesn't seem to be one.

Well, maybe I'd travel to Bremen or Berlin, Munich is pretty freakin' far though..

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:42 am

I just saw that Zynga is peripherally associated with this jam. I don't really want to be mentioned on the same page with that company though. So it's really out of the question, sorry.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:14 pm

Uuhh... Zynga...
If you'd like to travel to Sweden, and pay for my ticket to Falun, I could join you. :roll:

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:04 am

just stay out of detroit, new york, or los angeles.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Everyone who makes games seems to live either in the US or Sweden. It's bizarre :|

Still, there must be some Italian indie game people, if there's a jam in Verona (or maybe I'll be the only person who show up) :?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:28 pm

Count Roland wrote:just stay out of detroit, new york, or los angeles.
¿¡¿What's wrong with Los Angeles?!?

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:22 am

ariehl wrote:
Count Roland wrote:just stay out of detroit, new york, or los angeles.
¿¡¿What's wrong with Los Angeles?!?
It's like Australia: only tourists get bitten/eaten by sharks. And in America, I'm sure, only tourists get shot. I mean, every time I speak to John I ask him if he's been shot and he tells me "no". How can this be :o

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:23 am

I just don't like it.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:41 am

Wilbefast wrote:I mean, every time I speak to John I ask him if he's been shot and he tells me "no". How can this be :o
It is a conspiracy! John has probably been programmed by the state to say so! D:

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:03 am

Freshbite wrote:
Wilbefast wrote:I mean, every time I speak to John I ask him if he's been shot and he tells me "no". How can this be :o
It is a conspiracy! John has probably been programmed by the state to say so! D:

John and Anton probably stay out of the bad parts of los angeles ...

Really there are no "bad" parts for the cities around here ... however, downtown Omaha has a bad reputation locally (although I am down there like ... 6 times a year ... lots of junk yards to pull parts from ... also I worked at a homeless shelter a few times down there.)

Not a place to go to with a cute girl though (hilarious story behind that) ...

I'm thinking about going to the one in Kansas ... its relatively close (2 hours drive) ... however, I get the impression it will be about as disappointing as any other video game event I have ever gone to.

The awkwardness is so fucking thick the moment you step in the room for most of these events that you just want to get the hell out as fast as possible.

(really wish I could go to PAX, ComicCon, or something like that one day ... especially before I get really old and thus out of place :P )

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:45 am

Assaultman67 wrote:John and Anton probably stay out of the bad parts of los angeles ...
Ergo they both live in a bunker. This explains so much :shock:
Assaultman67 wrote:The awkwardness is so fucking thick the moment you step in the room for most of these events that you just want to get the hell out as fast as possible.
Good point. I'm practically a normal person in real life (I'm a "closet" geek). I might not fit in with those geeks who have truly embraced their geekiness :?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:28 pm

yeah this city's really bad for murders, rapes, various violent crimes and also drug crimes, fortunately not too bad for hate crimes though! It's mostly just the east side of town though and I've never really seen anything bad happen here read it all the time in newspapers though.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:47 am

You know I think I'd love to venture further into Europe to taste the fine jams they have on offer. Perhaps some marmalade too.

Of course, money is always something I'd worry about but I have some holiday pay saved up... It does make more sense for me to go to London... although the train would almost cost as much as a flight =/
Last edited by Uberbeard on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:48 am

Wilbefast wrote:Good point. I'm practically a normal person in real life (I'm a "closet" geek). I might not fit in with those geeks who have truly embraced their geekiness :?
I find the geeks who can't quite come to terms with it are the more awkward brand.