No female characters planned?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
burger1113

No female characters planned?

Post by burger1113 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:00 am

Hello, I hope you all are having a great new year.

I'm just a humble graphic designer/gamer working for a game company in Korea, no one special or

anything, and I really love what you guys in the wolfire team are doing... but I was wondering, is

there going to be no female characters appearing in Overgrowth? Or should I say, "Sex Appeal"...?

I guess with wolfire being a relatively small team... there is a lot at hand already, but everything

aside, the bottom line is, SEX. MUST HAVE IT. Just speaking professionally here, btw lol Like I said,

I love the looks of overgrowth, but I know it'd be missing out a lot of it's potential without sex

appeal.

I dunno. I just wanted to get this off my mind as it's been coming up to me a few times as I was

following the blog for the past few months. I haven't worked on tons of games(two... in fact) as a

designer yet, but having a well portrayed sex is obviously huge. Also, Overgrowth may have a

rather narrow band of consumers targeted, too, so... Maybe this is getting a bit verbose. Stuff we

all know, blah blah blah.

Tell me what you think... I guess?

Aleol

Re: No female characters planned?

Post by Aleol » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 am

Sex....

Appeal?

..... with animals?

Uh.... I'm pretty sure there's going to be women, but if what you're asking for is boobs, then I doubt it.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:05 am

There are plans for female characters, but not over-sensationalized ones. Here's a blog post about their plans...
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/01/female- ... vergrowth/

esyntha

Post by esyntha » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:00 am

I actually completely disagree with you but at the same time am forced to agree with you.

I absolutely hate sexualized female characters unless there are sexualized male characters in the game as well. Having to play as a bimbo just because I am female and would like my character to relate to me in some fashion makes it harder for me to get into the experience.

What most people don't get is that there are quite a few female gamers out there. Most if not all of them do not want to play as a 5' 2" DDD cup vixen with no brain and a need to kill. Hell I am 5' 10" with a B cup with strong legs from mountain biking...

I wouldn't feel so sore about this if some of my favorite games didn't completely Forego females entirely (Battlefield bad company 2 to name one... not enough space on the computer for a female character my butt, Killing Floor) And it makes me hesitant to pick up games that have little to no realistic females.

If a game has to sexualized Female characters just to get sales then something is obviously wrong with the game. Either its not well done enough to sell on its own to feet or its creators are completely out of touch with its female player base.

Men can be sexualized too, Lady gaga has some of the most sexualized male dancers I have ever seen in the Alejandro video. Most Vampire shows these days have sexualized male characters and normal female characters (Twilight *horribly written but good concept* Vampire dairies *same ilk as twilight right down to plot* Trueblood *somewhat well written and well acted*)

This is what I imagine females will look like in the game. I painted this over a few hours.

So to conclude. I want Females in the game so I can relate better to a mystical world. But the opposite happens when hyper sexualized females are added.

<3
Evely

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:38 am

Sex appeal?

This game doesn't need it, it's got ninja appeal.

EDIT: That's a pretty nice looking picture =). I wonder how OG will handle female characters... I can't imagine them looking too radically different from the males... maybe they just like to dress differently and that's how you're supposed to tell ingame. *shrug*

As for other games... if the game uses voices like Killing Floor does, I think they'd need to have voice actors for it, and it's easier to give everyone a generic male voice that fits all the models I suppose. If Overgrowth uses the 'animal sounds' approach then this obviously won't be a problem.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 am

This was linked to before, but since people raised questions answered in there, here it is again.

Female characters in Overgrowth

In short, since they want to avoid hypersexualization, can't use many of the cues visible on humans and might not have voice acting, they'll rely on different body sizes, subtle changes in proportion, clothing and ornaments.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Nice painting, esyntha. Foxes rule, too.

I'm stoked Wolfire intends to have non-bimbo female characters, and that there will be different body types for both males and females, too. The possibilities for modding characters are all going to be there, so it won't be hard to make any fat/thin/short critter you want, with different noses and ears and tails. It makes the game world so much more real, and expands the story possibilities.

The wolf model in Lugaru worked fine for fox skins, OK for badgers, but OG will be a giant step better.

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:55 pm

There's a look about the citizen rabbit that is quite like a female...

Noz

Post by Noz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Sex appeal is not the term used for the representation of a gender.

Lhorkan

Post by Lhorkan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:18 pm

I think that Overgrowth, featuring anthropomorphic animals, already gets unjustified flack for being a "furry" game. I don't think adding overly sexually appealing females would help the game on this subject. In fact, those slanderers would even have a point then.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:00 am

are you implying that turner should bump uglies with another rabbit after his wife was murdered?

FOR SHAME! :|

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:44 am

it was implied that she was raped too!

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:52 am

I imagine Turner isn't the only male bunny in the game. He could run into two other bunnies making kung fu babies and then...

Well... :|

Disco Science

Post by Disco Science » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:55 am

Nothing saying he should never socialize again, though. :D Even with anthropomorphized animals, it doesn't always have to be about the sexy time.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:56 am

For a thread which was started because people were worried females would only be represented as sexual objects, this thread didn't take that long to descend into discussion of females as sexual objects. :roll: