Mods

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
cooldude

Mods

Post by cooldude » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:21 pm

This topic is for all mods including sounds, moves, characters, campaigns, maps, and textures

Please post any mod you make onto this topic

Here is a awesome site for weapons done by Lotus Wolf

http://lotuswolfs.site50.net/

johndh

Re: Mods

Post by johndh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:35 am

I've got several weapon models lying around, and all they would really need is for me to UV map them and bake the textures. What kind of specs are normal for a weapon in Lugaru (i.e. polygon count, texture resolution)?

http://opengameart.org/content/tonfa
http://opengameart.org/content/naval-cu ... asket-hilt
http://opengameart.org/content/flanged-mace
(Note the licensing!)

cooldude

Post by cooldude » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:57 pm

What kind of specs are normal for a weapon in Lugaru (i.e. polygon count, texture resolution)?
Not sure, I am trying to work on making new .body solids for a campaign so I wouldn't know

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:23 pm

johndh wrote:I've got several weapon models lying around, and all they would really need is for me to UV map them and bake the textures. What kind of specs are normal for a weapon in Lugaru (i.e. polygon count, texture resolution)?
Polycount up to like 6k should be fine regarding performance. Texture resolution is fixed iirc, see Lugaru's weapon textures (512x512).

Edit: Note that polycount greatly affects load times. So for that reason alone, you should restrain yourself. Weapons probably don't need that many polys anyway in most cases.

johndh

Post by johndh » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:45 pm

rudel_ic wrote: Polycount up to like 6k should be fine regarding performance. Texture resolution is fixed iirc, see Lugaru's weapon textures (512x512).

Edit: Note that polycount greatly affects load times. So for that reason alone, you should restrain yourself. Weapons probably don't need that many polys anyway in most cases.
You sure those aren't the specs for OG? I don't think anything in Lugaru has more than a few hundred polygons.

Anyway, I looked at the textures and saw the knife and staff textures are both 256x256 but the sword's is 512x512, and judging from the rabbit's texture wireframe, that model is probably around 500-1000 polygons, and I don't think any of the weapons I would want to use are much more than that, so I'm probably fine. I've got some higher-poly (~3k) weapons, but those don't really fit the genre.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:38 pm

When I wrote the converters, I did some benchmarks. Basically, long before the performance gets awful on a box from 2007 or so, the load times become unbearable. One example was a subdivided rabbit mesh with 20k polys. The performance held up until 6 were on screen iirc. That's 120k polys, which you'd expect from a fixed-pipeline engine.

The bigger performance traps are related to generic collision detection (that's for things like trees and shit, assets that are immobile). So if you build a highpoly immobile mesh, chances are it's slideshow time each time you approach it.

johndh

Post by johndh » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Interesting. Do the models need to be a certain scale, orientation, or position? Barring that, I've got several ready to go. Diffuse textures only, right? Do they need to be triangulated or are quads okay?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:39 am

johndh wrote:Interesting. Do the models need to be a certain scale, orientation, or position?
The easiest way to scale and orient your weapon properly is to import one of the stock weapons. After you've oriented your weapon, don't forget to apply scale, transform and rotate (CTRL-A). Then select your weapon and export.
Diffuse textures only, right?
I would recommend diffuse textures only for the first test. Lugaru does the most basic T&L, so you might want to bake some lighting magic in later (like light AO or whatever, stuff that doesn't change much in regards to light position).
Do they need to be triangulated or are quads okay?
They need to be triangulated.

johndh

Post by johndh » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Alright, I've got my cutlass, mace, and sickle all working as sword replacements. After looking into it a little, there doesn't seem to be much I can change in regard to adding these as new weapons, and they only seem to work as replacements. Am I just missing something, or are the weapons somehow hard-coded into the source? :? If so, I think I'll just have to (eventually) redo them so they can work in OG instead, as putting them in Lugaru doesn't do much.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:33 pm

Yeah, so far, new weaponry is only usable by replacing the old ones. Same goes for new characters, animations, immobiles, most textures, sounds etc.

It would be great to have a mechanism to at least change the referenced weapon by level, and ultimately, we'd all want to have a much higher amount of possible weapons in a level, each with their own ruleset and animations, but so far, noone's taken a look at that yet. The source-oriented modding of Lugaru didn't get much further than building a generic build system and implementing some nice gimmicks (stereo vision and a health meter).

It's a shame that that didn't take off. Maybe it will somewhen though, who knows.

I don't see why that should stop you though, I mean, if your weapons are cool, they're cool in Overgrowth as well as in Lugaru, right? But it's your decision, of course.

johndh

Post by johndh » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm not opposed to them being used in Lugaru. I just don't want to bother with it if they aren't going to get any use. The source files are CC-By-SA, so anyone is more than welcome to adapt them to work in Lugaru if they want to.

The cutlass, sickle, and flanged mace are all ready to be used and tested in Lugaru as replacements for the sword, but the textures are kinda half-assed placeholders. There are a few other weapons in there that I kinda abandoned, but somebody can fix them up and use them if they so desire.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16016162/johndh ... eapons.zip

I may or may not revisit these at some later date and get them to look good enough for Overgrowth, but it's near the bottom of a very long to-do list.