long range weapons

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
BlackTigerz

long range weapons

Post by BlackTigerz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:26 pm

i have bein thinging about long range weapons.
will there be any bows crossbows or maybe a "FlintRifle"??
to stand and shoot could look cool :3

Ragdollmaster

Re: long range weapons

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:44 pm

Likely not, as Overgrowth is meant to be all about close quarters, hand-to-hand combat. There will likely be weapons that can be thrown, such as knives and maybe a tomahawk or javelin or something similar, but it is unlikely that there will be weapons which are intended exclusively for ranged use, such as bows. Hope this answers your question :)

BlackTigerz

Post by BlackTigerz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Heeey thanks for Replaying
yre i see thad
but the hand to hand fight is over to fast
so they may have to make ther better...
but knifes will be ther like befor

and yes it dit

adm.melonhead

Post by adm.melonhead » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Anyone ever played Zeno Clash here?
One of my favorites. First-person fighter, Overgrowth reminds me a lot of it. In Zeno Clash, the weapons are weak, and you'd be better off throwing them away once your enemies get close enough. They were also heavy and made you move slowly, and they were the only weapons you had to reload, making them very inconvenient at times, very useful at others, like any good addition to a game. There were some enemies that you practically had to shoot, and they were often accompanied by enemies that you had to fistfight, making you constantly have to throw away and pick up your guns again, and it was a bit harder, but easier in some regards, to screw the guns and just punch everything. I would be fine with this kind of weapon.

Mr.tuxedo

Post by Mr.tuxedo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:47 am

I think the only long range weapon that should be added is the sling it is very hard to use.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:18 am

Mr.tuxedo wrote:I think the only long range weapon that should be added is the sling it is very hard to use.
It's too powerful, just like the bows.
If it's accurate, it's too powerful because it lets the player to kill enemies from beyond their reach. If enemies have ranged weapons, that limits the player's options a lot. If the weapon is takes lots of skill to use properly, balancing gameplay becomes impossible because some people can snipe enemies from afar and some can't. If the weapon is inaccurate, it's either totally useless, or an essentially random chance of killing/severely weakening an enemy. Useless weapons shouldn't be implemented at all. Random chance makes game balance harder, again, because one lucky shot against e.g. bosses would have too big of an effect.

Slings can't even be limited by giving the player a set amount of ammo that will run out if the weapon is abused, since slings can use normal rocks as ammo.

DavidSG

Post by DavidSG » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:29 pm

It would take a lot of work to balance long ranged weapons with the melee combat. I mean, they have this great combat system, you'd really have to think a weapon through before putting it in. The only ranged weapon that looks like it can be balanced well might be a boomerang.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:43 pm

DavidSG wrote:It would take a lot of work to balance long ranged weapons with the melee combat. I mean, they have this great combat system, you'd really have to think a weapon through before putting it in. The only ranged weapon that looks like it can be balanced well might be a boomerang.
Yeah, boomerangs and other throwing weapons.

Dan_Weaver

Post by Dan_Weaver » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:12 pm

What about picking things up and throwing them, such as vases and chairs? Since they couldn't be thrown very far and would take a short amount of time to pick up, leaving the user vulnerable for a moment (similar to weapons). Holding a large, throwable object could also slow the user down. This would make picking things up unfeasible in most situations.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Well, vases and chairs would probably more of an indoors thing, and I don't think OG will have any interior levels if I'm not mistaken. Maybe some of the wares from the stalls around the arena could be thrown? :lol:

johndh

Post by johndh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:14 pm

How about sticks and bricks? :P

last

Post by last » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:31 pm

johndh wrote:How about sticks and bricks? :P
I think you don't need sick if you have spear to throw?

johndh

Post by johndh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Yeah, but what if you don't have a spear to throw. ;)

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Yeah, you don't find spears growing on trees. Sticks, on the other hand... :P

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:59 am

some of Aubrey's ceramics look nice and chunky. :P

you could have some of them shatter, and some of them give a satisfying "CLONK!" when you belt an enemy with one. hee hee. Maybe get two hits and then they break.