E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:33 pm

FPS/RPG game that's available on Steam for €17.99 until the 6th when it will return to the full price of €19.99, which is still absolute robbery considering the scope and content of the game. Very in depth, very satisfying, very cyber-punk meets Warhammer 40,000 meets Fallout...but mainly cyber-punk.

I can't stop playing this game. Everyone else buy it on Steam so they can play it with me in online co-op. Think about it. Online co-op FPS/RPG set in a cyberpunk/fantasy universe. Can't get much more salivating.

Game is quite glitchy and buggy, but it's definitely not enough to detract from the thrill of the game. Its user interface is very odd, but I see it as a thing to delight in rather than something to scorn. Getting used to all the games nuances and off-kilter takes on various things is a pleasure.

Story seems mainly like a vehicle for the gameplay but it's still enough to sate the RPG enthusiast within. Joining the 32-player servers on multiplayer is, at the best of times, pure folly, considering the game is intended to be played online by a team of maybe 4-6. Anything past 16 players on the same server and you're hitting a lot of latency and balance issues.

As I said, getting into the game might be a little difficult for some, but getting yourself used to this game is half of the fun...the first time when I sat down and dropped myself into this little universe, my reaction was, quite literally, "What the fucking hell is this?" And that's never a bad thing.

Trust me, it all becomes worth it when you can jump 30 feet into the air and hurl turrets 100 feet into the air and over buildings. It's just pure mad fun.

Everyone hurry up and buy it so I can kick you in the face with my CYBER LEGS.

(You can't actually kick people in the face, unfortunately.)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:25 am

Also my Steam ID is DogzOnFire! Add me if you have an account. =D

Also, interesting to see an update on the dev's website, apologising for bugs and so on and ensuring updates soon. An excerpt from the post:

"To give you 3 examples of major changes that we are going to make: we have noticed the real end is way too hard to get, we're going to change that because several players found it too frustrating. We're also going to change the Resurector system that often breaks the gaming experience in its current version. Also, the NPCs will have their vision angle decreased to encourage stealth, which is currently too difficult."

Considering how good the game is now, and this is backed up by Gamespy and FiringSquad's reviews of the game, which both gave it 80%, it's interesting to see how they intend to keep improving on the game using feedback from various people who provided feedback, gameplay suggestions and bug reports. Everyone loves indie dev's who listen to their customers.

Here's the dev post:

http://eye.streumon-studio.com/index.ph ... ws&news=22

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:58 am

Yeah, I actually noticed this in the "RECOMMENDED FOR YOU" tab yesterday in the store.
I was thinking about purchasing it, trying to get a friend along for the Co-op Mode.

Since I'm currently working full-time and going a summer course at the same time, I'll probably not play it as much as I'd like to, but I think I'm gonna buy it anyway, just for the heck of it. I can always play it later in the summer.

I've added you to the contact list, I go by the name of Freshbite, at least I think I do..

johndh

Post by johndh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 am

So I see what appears to be a space marine with a carbine/SMG, fighting Nazi analogues in a gritty gray and brown cover-based iron-sight shooter.

Astonishing. :|

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Honestly, as soon as people point out what seem to be cliches in a game and judge it adversely for them without actually playing it or at the very least reading a review of it, I have this sudden urge to disembowel them and strangle them with their innards.

If that was too subtle: johndh, shut up.

The game seems cool, but I'm saddened that it's PC only, as my rig is certainly not a high-end machine and I'm not sure how well I'll be able to run this. I'll have to see if there's a demo of it or something. By the way, R_T, how open-world is this game? You compare it to Fallout 3, for instance, so is it a totally open world game with random encounters and quests and stuff, or is the gameplay more stage-based taking place in separated closed environments?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:50 pm

johndh wrote:So I see what appears to be a space marine...
...negative...
johndh wrote:...with a carbine/SMG...
...yup...
johndh wrote:...fighting Nazi analogues...
....negative...
johndh wrote:...in a gritty gray and brown...
...for some of the game, it's quite dark, but that's a pretty dumb complaint...
johndh wrote:...cover-based...
...I've no idea how you could be this dumb...
johndh wrote:...iron-sight...
...there are iron-sights, but then again, why wouldn't you be able to look down the barrell of your gun in a shooter...
johndh wrote:...shooter.
...well, you got one thing right.
johndh wrote:Astonishing.
You really are.
Ragdollmaster wrote:Honestly, as soon as people point out what seem to be cliches in a game and judge it adversely for them without actually playing it or at the very least reading a review of it, I have this sudden urge to disembowel them and strangle them with their innards.

If that was too subtle: johndh, shut up.
This is one of those rare occasions when I agree completely with someone.
Ragdollmaster wrote:*Question about open-ended gameplay*
Every time you get a mission or finish a mission, I'm gonna call them missions because that's about as close as I can describe them, you're transported to various areas, much like the Deus Ex series of games. In fact, exactly like the Deus Ex series of games. Once you're there, you can find various little mini-side-quests and multiple routes and ways to complete your objectives.

Also, it's running on the Source engine, and the graphics aren't too intensive.

Specs: Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz, Athlon 64 3000+ or better
Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
Hard Disk Space: At least 6 GB of free space
Video Card: : DirectX 9 compatible video card with 128 MB, Shader model 2.0. ATI X800, NVidia 6600 or better

Freshbite wrote:Since I'm currently working full-time and going a summer course at the same time, I'll probably not play it as much as I'd like to, but I think I'm gonna buy it anyway, just for the heck of it. I can always play it later in the summer.

I've added you to the contact list, I go by the name of Freshbite, at least I think I do..
Yeah do get it! Then we can co-op multiplayer! =D

And I accepted your invite.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:59 pm

it said weed within' the first 2 seconds of the video.

i'm sold.

once i take out my massive student loan for my new art education (oh god help me) i'm getting a new desktop........ a really expensive one >:D

johndh

Post by johndh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:14 pm

A bit touchy because a game looks just like every other generic FPS to come out in the past several years? Damn, I didn't hit a nerve, did I? :P

"What appears to be a space marine" -- Whether or not the protagonist is or isn't, he shares their style. If it looks like a duck and moves like a duck, claiming it's actually a loon doesn't make that much of a difference.

"fighting Nazi analogues" Black hats, long black trench coats -- you can't tell me they were inspired by anything other than Nazi SS, unless they were inspired by something else that was in turn inspired by the Nazi SS.

Being an ugly gray and brown game is a perfectly legitimate complaint. If you're going to be staring at a screen for a few hours, why not at least make it look interesting to look at? It may be decent graphically, but aesthetically it is crap. If I were an artist working on that game, I'd be rather annoyed that all of my work had its contrast reduced by 80% and bathed in shadow where you can't see it.

Let's see... hiding behind walls and obstacles, leaning out to take intermittent pot-shots at enemies. That sounds like "cover-based" to me.

Being a space marine or stylistically identical to one isn't necessarily a bad thing. Fighting guys whose style is lifted from Hitler's lackies is not necessarily a bad thing. Being cover-based and aiming with iron sights are not necessarily bad things. What is bad, is not having anything new or creative to bring to the table. What is bad, is being painfully generic.

My point is that the trailer had 1:03 to show me literally anything new, different, innovative, or even interesting, and what it showed me was a bland derivative of every FPS that I've seen since... oh... Turok for the N64? Halo's and Crysis' cloaking, Killzone's enemies, Gears' environments. Maybe they spread on a fresh coat of polyurethane but that seems to be about it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, three hours into the game, it turns completely on its head and becomes a deconstruction of the modern bland, samey, boring, repetitive gameplay that FPSs seem to have become as of late. Somehow I kinda doubt it, though.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:33 pm

"Shares their style"? What in the fuck are you talking about, and could you clue the rest of us in? The protagonist seems to move and act like any standard player character. What kind of "style" do space marines have? There really isn't one, as far as I know. Other than maybe a "military" style, but that could describe pretty much every first person shooter.

Black helmets and long black trench coats? In a dark gritty environment? No, they couldn't possibly be wearing camouflaged armor, and they couldn't possibly have a coat on because it's chilly- CLEARLY they're Nazis. Honestly, in most war games where you do fight Nazis, you don't even fight the Gestapo-like SS members- you fight soldiers who seem to be more or less indistinguishable from your own other than the fact they have gray uniforms and angry faces.

It showed literally one level. One level that took place at night time. In a warzone. Sorry, but were you expecting fields of daisies, neon lighting, and rainbows all over the place? Actually, there is some lighting in there of various colors. It doesn't seem drab at all for a night-based level in what I assume is a rundown city.

Hiding behind walls and obstacles for about two seconds- clearly, it's cover-based. Nope, can't possibly just be hiding behind cover for the purpose of, say, not being shot while you gather your wits. Leaning out from around a corner- can't possibly be looking ahead at the next area instead of sprinting out into a possible clusterfuck of enemies, heavens no, you're clearly cover-shooting. Cover-based shooters are literally defined as shooters where a high amount of the combat involves going behind cover in order to shoot enemies that are behind cover- Gears Of War, Call Of Duty, occasionally Uncharted, and so on and so forth- you get the idea. I saw a lot more open-terrain combat in that trailer than the 5 seconds of cover-based combat.

It's an FPS-RPG. The only other games I know of that can fit into that mold are Fallout 3 / New Vegas, and those both had less-than-stellar shooter elements and were more about the RPG part. Mass Effect sort of fits in there, too, despite being third-person. Considering this game is in a genre whose current elements I can count on one hand, I would venture that it could be called innovative.

I'll also just leave this here.

Last edited by Ragdollmaster on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:22 pm

As much as I try to like this, I just can't as of now.
Random points of interest:

- The AI is tricky, NPC's often bump into each other in the Headquarters, causing jams. Another time, I accidentally hurt a man by jumping on his head (from higher ground, on a stairway), and the entire town chased me down, trying to kill me. I don't complain, though, it gave me a lot of XP and about 6 Lvl's, about 3 minutes in-game.

- The save/death system annoys me, a random bump from an NPC in the HQ got me killed, and I had to backtrack about 5-6 minutes of conversing with Main NPC's.

- What I did like, on the other hand, was the class system and the inventory slots.

I haven't quit on this game yet, though. I'm forcing myself to give it a go on my (much more brutal) desktop computer. Having only played it on a laptop, I had frequent lag and FPS issues. I haven't gotten myself past even the first actual mission and shouldn't let this game go quite yet. I'll inform you later on my progress..

johndh

Post by johndh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Cool story, bro.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Trololo~

Skip it. With "you", I was referring to Andrew.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:16 pm

I don't really agree or disagree with either side, as I haven't played the game (nor will I, I'm on a Mac), or even watched the trailer (the computer I'm on now can't play video). I did however, want to make the point to johndh that real life war is "cover-based." That is all.
*swoosh*

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:33 am

Hm.

It looks like a game that I would like to like.

It also looks painfully unpolished, it feels like I'm looking at an Alpha build or something. And for some reason the visual design irritates me.

Might check it out at some point.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:16 pm

johndh wrote:*Bollocks*
Play the game first, you've clearly no idea what it's even about.
Freshbite wrote:Skip it. With "you", I was referring to Andrew.
Skip what? The troll? I ignored it.
Zhukov wrote:It also looks painfully unpolished, it feels like I'm looking at an Alpha build or something.
Well, you have a point, but you have to bear in mind that it's an indie company with not many people, they're continuously going to be releasing patches for it, so the bugs will thin out. Plus it costed me 18 euro and I've already played 20 hours soooo...