long range weapons

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
bujuman

Re: long range weapons

Post by bujuman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Long ranged weapons

1. stone - you pick it up and throw it at people.
2. brick - same as stone.
3. boomerang - when you throw it it comes back to you unless if something is in its way.
4. bow & arrows - used like they are supposed to be used
5. crossbow - same as bow except its ammo is bolts, and its projectiles fly faster than arrows.
6. knife - you could of course throw a knife!
7 tomahawk - same as knife except could cut off limbs.

I got no more ideas. :)

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:01 am

I like the idea of bricks and stones, since they stick with what seems to be the long range style of Lugaru. The knives could be used for slashing but thrown also. So I can only see the weapons that are melee AND ranged being feasible. The problem with bows and cross bows is that they become an unbalanced weapon. If you can pwn all teh nooz from 50 feet away, then why make a brawling game? I would like to see the stones and bricks used as melee weapons, as they are a favorite of mine. There's no method of killing quite like embedding your brick-holding hand in someone's skull. I would also like to see the method reversed: Moving the opponent's head into a large stone or brick wall. That's also very satisfying.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:15 am

I think a crossbow might work for some specific story-related scenarios, as its massive reload time would be more than enough to balance it in an unfortified position. Knife-throwing will appear, because... I just can't see Wolfire getting away with not implementing it :lol: , and stones might be cool. You could crouch and press q (or whatever "pick up" will be) in stony areas and have a 50% chance of getting an impromptu weapon.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:47 am

If there are crossbows with massive reload times, there are techniques for making crossbows with short reload times. The lightest crossbows don't use any lever-systems whatsoever.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:14 am

That's true, and I believe it was on Deadliest Warrior that I saw a semi-automatic crossbow, invented by the Chinese. However, they don't have to use those, perhaps they weren't discovered. I mean if they were aiming for full realism and scope of weaponry here a longbow would be the most effective. But for the sake of balanceability, they most probably won't. What are you trying to say here, that if crossbows are implemented they should be the most efficient kind, or that they shouldn't be implemented at all? Or are you just pulling apart my post, as usual :lol:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:That's true, and I believe it was on Deadliest Warrior that I saw a semi-automatic crossbow, invented by the Chinese. However, they don't have to use those, perhaps they weren't discovered. I mean if they were aiming for full realism and scope of weaponry here a longbow would be the most effective. But for the sake of balanceability, they most probably won't. What are you trying to say here, that if crossbows are implemented they should be the most efficient kind, or that they shouldn't be implemented at all? Or are you just pulling apart my post, as usual :lol:
Well, in my opinion ranged weapons would be hard to balance with melee, so they could, even should, be left out.

But here, I was only critiquing your logic. If they have the technology to do crossbows that are slow to wind (e.g. some sort of lever system), they can do a crossbow that can be spanned by hand. To say otherwise is like saying that they have discovered buckets, but not cups. Think of the all those old people dying of thirst because they can't raise the heavy buckets high enough to drink from them...

There could be in-game reasons for extremely heavy crossbows, I just felt obliged to mention some facts about crossbows.

P.S.
Longbows might have been one of the most powerful, but effectiveness can be many things. The time it takes to learn to use a bow like that would make them ineffective in most hands, for example. Even more so in rabbits' shorter arms.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Or even better, the detail objects could be like 40% stones, and you could pick those up. That way you have some visual indication that there are rocks to beat with. Crossbows... I doubt they'll be in, even though they lower fire rates. I could see spears and knives, and maybe even throwing your hammer, but solely ranged weapons seem un-OG.

johndh

Post by johndh » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:07 pm

I love the idea of being able to pick up stones, bricks, furniture, etc., and using them as both melee and thrown weapons. I fully expect knives and daggers to be thrown, along with perhaps spears and small axes.

I can't very well imagine bows in this game, except as a mod. One good excuse for mankind having developed ranged weapons, and these animals having not, is that humans have very good forward-facing vision. Our eyes are excellent for picking out targets (maybe because our other senses are so bad at it) at a distance. Dogs and wolves are colorblind and rabbits have a blind spot straight ahead because their eyes are so wide apart (though that makes them harder to sneak up on). This would leave only cats and rats with decent vision (and I don't know about rats), who would probably rather use their stealth to slit throats.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:13 pm

You've got a good point. I don't think even the cats would be very good for archers since cat's tend to have very focused vision. They can see well, but when they see something that catches their attention, it takes a lot of prodding to get them to refocus on something else. The rats would be the only archer character, and they do seem to want to be stealthier. I would full expect daggers and knives to be thrown, but the spear also because in the comic the white dog chucks a spear at Corpse's leg.

cronomatix

Post by cronomatix » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:57 pm

adm.melonhead wrote:Anyone ever played Zeno Clash here?
One of my favorites. First-person fighter, Overgrowth reminds me a lot of it. In Zeno Clash, the weapons are weak, and you'd be better off throwing them away once your enemies get close enough. They were also heavy and made you move slowly, and they were the only weapons you had to reload, making them very inconvenient at times, very useful at others, like any good addition to a game. There were some enemies that you practically had to shoot, and they were often accompanied by enemies that you had to fistfight, making you constantly have to throw away and pick up your guns again, and it was a bit harder, but easier in some regards, to screw the guns and just punch everything. I would be fine with this kind of weapon.
I love Zeno Clash, in fact I came to this thread to recommend the same weapons from it, It worked in a Mirrors Edge kind of way were guns came in handy in a pinch but restricted your freedom to move and preform tasks. I think that would fit in perfectly with Overgrowth, good post!

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:37 am

Endoperez and Korban3 wrote:stuff
Yeah crossbows are not exactly high on the list of things I want to see. I was arguing their possible viability, but I agree that they are not a necessary part of the game.

Hat

Post by Hat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 am

i like the idea of long ranged weapons like a bow and arrow but Im not sure about adding crossbows because i feel it will go with the theme of the game

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:11 am

I don't particularly want any long range weapons other than thrown ones.

alpineodin

Post by alpineodin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:25 am

cool idea. probbably will be implemented

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:31 am

alpineodin wrote:cool idea. probbably will be implemented
Which one do you mean?