Animal ideas for overgrowth

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Fidchell

Re: Animal ideas for overgrowth

Post by Fidchell » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:44 pm

Korban3 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12101
Here you go fidchell, right there on the first post. Just drag the Data folder your OG install and merge it with the existing Data folder. The fox will be in you characters tab in the editor. He has no fist morphs yet, but he should work fine.
Thank you very much for sharing with me. How far in are you with this model? The texturing could use a lot of work.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Haha, I'm calling that the done stage. That fox is the first time I
+Modelled clothes
+Used Sculptris to texture
+Made an OG character
+Did anything of slight quality with in 3D

I may change him in the future when I've got texturing under my fingers, but for now that's him. I still have to figure out how to make blend shapes for his fists though. Not sure how David set that up though.
And it's no problem about sharing. I put it up on that thread so anyone can use it.

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Korban3 wrote:Haha, I'm calling that the done stage. That fox is the first time I
+Modelled clothes
+Used Sculptris to texture
+Made an OG character
+Did anything of slight quality with in 3D

I may change him in the future when I've got texturing under my fingers, but for now that's him. I still have to figure out how to make blend shapes for his fists though. Not sure how David set that up though.
And it's no problem about sharing. I put it up on that thread so anyone can use it.
If it's no problem to you, maybe I can try my hand at improving the textures? I mean, I've only ever attempted it once with Blender, but I am rather skilled in painting in Photoshop, unless there's a better program to use for that sort of thing?

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:12 am

Yeah, that's fine. I used Sculptris to produce this texture. I'd suggest using that, as the UV Map looks like hell, since I used Sculptris' auto UV thingy. It doesn't look good flat, but it works well in 3D, as seams caused weird texture-pixel uglies in Sculptris.
Also, why not try to make your very own character instead? There's a WIP tutorial on my thread as well that covers some of the character creation. I'm not sure if it covers what you have to do to make a .phxbn skeleton as I haven't looked at it for a while, but if you need help, just catch me on that thread. I'd love to see people make their own characters. The basics are modelling in Blender (or other software, but Blender is fster as that's how you make the rigs too) and then producing a texture however you want. I can help you with the code, and the code you do need to write is really simple, and quick.
C'mon, give it a shot?

hunting dog

Post by hunting dog » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:48 am

If any creature, besides the ones already set to be displayed in the product of Overgrowth and to be modded in later, we should have a pig. Its could be the Jabba the Hutt of the Overgrowth world. Stain of all sorts on its clothing. A pot belly peering from the tattered clothing which seems to have been lavished at one time. His moves would be slower than most charaters and he could do the Kung Fu Panda Skadoosh. The weapons they would wield would be big sledge hammers and maybe a whip for Leia.Kubachicachicaboomboom hahahahahaaa!

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:05 am

At the moment I'm actually at a very beginner stage in Blender. I've been looking up a ton of tutorials and man there is just so much to fit into my head. I just need to practice I guess. This has nothing to really do with OG, but this is pretty much my first dumb model of a wolf OC of mine. You know how they say to start small? That's not what I did...

...and I probably should for now.

But of course it's such a mess that I can't finish it. Not only that but I have no idea how I would go about doing rigging for that, not that I even know how to.

Texturing with photoshop and Blender is difficult. For some reason it just doesn't feel very reliable. The constant reuploading I have to do when I fix things in the UV map. It's a real pain. Right now I have to focus on modeling. That's my main concern at the moment.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:35 am

Modeling humanoid characters is very challenging unless you are an experienced drawer. It might be easier to start with weapons and other stuff like that. It's much easier to "get" how the edges and ornaments really are, than how the facial shapes and muscles really are.

Also, for texturing in Photoshop, you need to learn unwrapping. Unwrapping simple shapes is much easier than complex facial features, hands and so on.

I'm good with Blender and there might be other modelers here as well. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Although it might be better to do so in a new thread.

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 pm

By unwrapping do you mean making seams to separate almost every identifiable shape present on the model (such as the main torso, the arms, the fingers, etc.) in Blender?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Fidchell wrote:By unwrapping do you mean making seams to separate almost every identifiable shape present on the model (such as the main torso, the arms, the fingers, etc.) in Blender?
Yes, that's the general idea. On items like swords and such, the shapes would be those of the blade, the handle, the handguard, and the pommel, or something like that. Choosing the correct seams is a big part of it, but there are some other tricks to it too. For example, you should apply (Ctrl+A in object mode) scale and rotation before unwrappping the object, and after choosing Unwrap you can change the method from whatever to Conformal in the toolbar. Conformal is better on some shapes, worse on others. Sometimes you can use P to pin some vertices, then unwrap it again with the other method.

Making the 2D shapes so that there's no wasted space when they're put into a square image is also an art, at least when Aubrey does it. Open up the combined glaive/spear texture under /Data/Textures/Dog Weapons to see what I mean, I learned a lot just by looking at how he did it.

cronomatix

Post by cronomatix » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Everyone here is so much better than me! *pouts in a corner*

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Endoperez wrote:Making the 2D shapes so that there's no wasted space when they're put into a square image is also an art, at least when Aubrey does it. Open up the combined glaive/spear texture under /Data/Textures/Dog Weapons to see what I mean, I learned a lot just by looking at how he did it.
I'm sorry but I can't find that directory. Do you mean textures/weapons/dogweapons? There are .dds file extensions which my computer is not familiar with.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm

It stands for direct draw surface. It should open with PaintdotNet or Photoshop.

Fidchell

Post by Fidchell » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Gah, I'm trying to open it in Photoshop but I get the error: Could not complete your request because it's not the right kind of document.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 am

They don't work by default, but NVidia has released free plugins that let you open DDS files in Photoshop.

http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-text ... -photoshop

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:15 am

Huh, PaintdotNet opens 'em just fine. I love free software :D