Phoenix Engine 1-5-06 Complex Rigid Body Dynamics

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Flickta

Post by Flickta » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:34 am

Thumbs up! I am also very, very interested in physics-based animations... Something I've never seen before...

Tribaal

Post by Tribaal » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:35 am

I like the sparkles as well... Could I have a sparkling two-handed battleaxe in Lugaru 2 ;)

Great job :)

broli

Post by broli » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:18 pm

Tribaal wrote:I like the sparkles as well... Could I have a sparkling two-handed battleaxe in Lugaru 2 ;)

Great job :)
You're late cause Santa just left :(

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:14 pm

Videos = good!
Nice work. Hopefully the character physics will be this good too. :P

erazorhead

Post by erazorhead » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:48 pm

Razor7 wrote:
zip wrote:Can weight be assigned to specific sections of the model?
True, i think the hilt would be falling a little faster and would even out
sorry if i'm misunderstanding you, but it would fall the same even if one part were heavier than the other.

see, (counter-intuitively,) objects actually all fall at the same speed regardless of their weight. the only difference would be when air resistance came into play (like with a feather vs a bowling ball). but a ping-pong ball and a ping-pong ball of solid lead would fall at the same rate.

more info here

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:08 pm

erazorhead wrote:
Razor7 wrote:
zip wrote:Can weight be assigned to specific sections of the model?
True, i think the hilt would be falling a little faster and would even out
sorry if i'm misunderstanding you, but it would fall the same even if one part were heavier than the other.

see, (counter-intuitively,) objects actually all fall at the same speed regardless of their weight. the only difference would be when air resistance came into play (like with a feather vs a bowling ball). but a ping-pong ball and a ping-pong ball of solid lead would fall at the same rate.

more info here
I realize that objects fall at the same speed no matter what the weight, but when it impacts another object then different areas of weight on the model would make a difference.

erazorhead

Post by erazorhead » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:43 am

zip wrote:I realize that objects fall at the same speed no matter what the weight, but when it impacts another object then different areas of weight on the model would make a difference.
i agree, and i was responding more to razor7's incorrect (i think) assessment on how this weight difference would change how it fell.

broly had a good point in that, if we wanted essentially 'perfect' physics that incorporated weight balance between different parts of an object that was presumably composed of materials with varying density/weight, we would not need to do anything more complicated than to somehow code the item's center of gravity. however my sense is that, for all intents and purposes, the physics engine will be sophisticated enough without this extra work.

in fact, i'd say it'd be indistinguishable during normal gameplay, only really noticable in a complex physics demo of the engine designed to show it off.

in short, it looks phenomenal as it is. more than these weight differentials / center of gravity tweaks, i'd be interested in physical interactions between complex objects -- i.e. an armful of weapons dropped together and bouncing off each other.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:08 am

erazorhead wrote: broly had a good point in that, if we wanted essentially 'perfect' physics that incorporated weight balance between different parts of an object that was presumably composed of materials with varying density/weight, we would not need to do anything more complicated than to somehow code the item's center of gravity. however my sense is that, for all intents and purposes, the physics engine will be sophisticated enough without this extra work.
I'm sure that this is covered in the engine. It's not difficult to deal with a center of mass.
more than these weight differentials / center of gravity tweaks, i'd be interested in physical interactions between complex objects -- i.e. an armful of weapons dropped together and bouncing off each other.
I'm sure that that is already implemented as well, since collision detection is there. So the results of such an experiment should be predictable.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:54 am

rudel_ic wrote:
more than these weight differentials / center of gravity tweaks, i'd be interested in physical interactions between complex objects -- i.e. an armful of weapons dropped together and bouncing off each other.
I'm sure that that is already implemented as well, since collision detection is there. So the results of such an experiment should be predictable.
Still, it's a lot more computation than just one object bouncing on the ground, so there's the speed issue.

From what we've seen so far, it looks like L2 will put way more focus on weapons than L1. Game mechanics will probably get a lot more complex around them.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:14 am

Me thinks L1 and L2 is going to differ alot, since L1 is a h2h fighting game and L2 a more RPG-like game. And with all these physics and effects..

I think im gonna have to hire a hacker to steal some of the goodies, sorry Dave, but its life or death :shock:

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:46 am

Crill3 wrote:Me thinks L1 and L2 is going to differ alot, since L1 is a h2h fighting game and L2 a more RPG-like game.
I hope it won't turn out that way. I want a beat 'em up! And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

RPG? That's what I need pen, paper, dice and imagination for. I've got enough of all these wannabe RPG games.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:26 am

rudel_ic wrote:RPG? That's what I need pen, paper, dice and imagination for. I've got enough of all these wannabe RPG games.
As I understand it, it's just a dash of RPG elements. Essentially more freedom for the player.

Don't worry man, David's in the place 8).

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:54 am

Silb wrote:David's in the place 8).
I know, I know. I've got my emotional moments.

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:18 pm

rudel_ic wrote:
Crill3 wrote:Me thinks L1 and L2 is going to differ alot, since L1 is a h2h fighting game and L2 a more RPG-like game.
I hope it won't turn out that way. I want a beat 'em up! And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

RPG? That's what I need pen, paper, dice and imagination for. I've got enough of all these wannabe RPG games.
Sounds more to me like crill is talking about RPG elements that include an action type of battle system instead of a turn-base battle system. Like Rogue Galaxy.

erazorhead

Post by erazorhead » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:40 pm

haha turn-based lugaru -- that'd be a shame.

or an interesting mod