Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Korban3

Re: Overgrowth Multiplayer discussion

Post by Korban3 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:51 am

Maybe, but figuring out how to distirbute unifrom resources from a server location ot multiple clients simultaneously is important too: It's critical to balance features and under-the-hood flow.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:56 am

First, I'd like to say that the phrase "lasting appeal" is utterly moot, as everyone has something different that appeals to them, and will keep them hooked on a game. From my perspective, I would not be disappointed in the least if OG didn't have multiplayer. If they are completely happy with the epic singleplayer campaign that they have made (and some sort of challenge thing like Lugaru), and they still have some money and time, I would be happy if they implemented enough multiplayer as to not cause lag. Lag would just disappoint me, the game would be unplayable. I would be pleasantly surprised, and satisfied, with 2 player online Co-op (even more so with split screen Co-op, but obviously that's impossible :lol: ).

cronomatix

Post by cronomatix » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 am

I'd rather the dev crew at Wolfire focus on making the single player aspect of the game as good as they possibly can. I understand that the incentive of kicking your friends asses as a rabbit may be strong I would rather have a well polished single player game.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:38 am

Well then congratulations, because that's what wolfire intends! I personally am very happy with that decision too.

korak

Post by korak » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:18 am

I Think it would be great to have a Deathmatch mode like in RUNE

I think this would be perfect for the Arena which is already in the game. Also, the
dismemberment part and that you are able to throw your weapons at an enemy is awesome.
If the multiplayer part won't be implemented we have an improved version of the arena fights
in TES4:Oblivion

Would love to see rabbits cheering me when I'm fighting against two dogs :D

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 pm

I think the arena in Mount and Blade is a better example of what OG would look good with. Dismemberment or not, it looks good. It plays well, except for AI getting stuck occasionally. M&B is also a historically accurate game. They don't throw in bullshit magic or dragons, cool or not. It's actually close to what OG is, minus the rabbits and dogs and such.
Here, I guess I'll put a video together of what I'm talking about... Well, my integrated webcam has an issue with screen capture during a game. Here's a video of the arena gameplay i found instead.

And here's a tournament. Just an arena match that is tiered and you can bet on yourself to earn extra cash.
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPAmVcS0 ... re=related[/YouTube]

There's an arena, lots of guys with random weapons and lots of fighting. Perfect. There are crowds cheering, especially at tournaments. I think Mount and Blade has a lot good things in it, and something can be learned from a lot of it.

korak

Post by korak » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 pm

M&B looks promising, haven't played it yet. It's nice that there are separately fights and not a you-vs-all match. But I like the idea that there is something in the arena - not just dirt on the ground. And with OG we have the ability to interact with objects. When you're up against a group of enemies it would be cool to hide or to separate them from each other. This makes the fights more realistic and more tactical.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:06 pm

Yes, M&B is the only game out there that depicts most of medieval combat properly. I was thinking that the idea is more of a base for OG to build upon. The arena in Oblivion seemed kind of stylized. It was small, ultra enclosed and cluttered feeling. I'm just biased though, I think.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Age of Chivalry was pretty fun for combat, but I wouldn't say it was too realistic of a depiction, and also it had some horrific balancing issues.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Yeah, it did. I haven't found much of anything else that was really accurate with it's history. My only issue with M&B is that it doesn't bring religion into the mix much at all, which is strange considering how well EVERYTHING else was depicted.

dvizll

Post by dvizll » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Man, I have yet to purchase this game, I rather wait until it releases on Steam
but the best thing in for this game would be some sort of multiplayer ++ ranking who knows even clans?? :lol:

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:44 am

I don't know if multiplayer would be great for this game. I been thinking about it, and it seems like co-op is the only way that fits. Arena fights maybe, but team deathmatch would be silly because the combat wouldn't fit that style. The ranking thing I doubt we'll see because Overgrowth's gameplay is very skill oriented. For instance, I can't block very well because my system is a little slow, so I'm pretty disadvantaged against Silverfish or Anton. I also don't do the combat a ton, so that's no good. There are no levels or attribute points. There's just you getting better. I wouldn't be suprised see stats about how many KOs and kills you've made, weapons you tend to favor, so on and so forth.
Multiplayer isn't the best thing for OG I don't think. While it would be cool and fun, I think that the best things for OG are making the single player awesome, because that's where it needs to shine. The combat is oriented around single player, the AI is being made as similar to the player as possible, and syncing up more than a few players is tough. I wouldn't cry if we never got mulitplayer, but if the blood sucked or if weapons glitched half the time so that a successful parry failed or something, I'd be upset because something was left unfinished.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:38 am

As for the rankings, there was a Lugaru rankings thread on that subforum, I think one for speed as well as score. Seeing as this sort of thing would come about anyways, I think there should at least be personal stats for fastest times and highest scores, if not online. I really liked that you were timed on the Challenge levels; I still sometimes go back to Lugaru to see if I can beat my fastest time on one level or another.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:28 am

I suppose. He said ranking and I was all like "Sergeant Turner? Lance Corporal Fiver? Master Sergeant Ash? Those don't make sense." I need to stop hanging out at the Marines office so much.
A ranking system for stats is inevitable, but my mind has been geared to military ranking recently. :P

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:40 am

Korban wrote:...Lance Corporal Fiver...
So it's not just me....

BEST BOOK EVER

*hem*
Right, I forgot about the military thing you do. What was it called?